Tactical or Practical, which do you use most

jz6342

Newly Enlightened
I don't trust a lot of things that are branded "tactical" any more than I trust something that's branded "military grade". However most (and certainly not all) name brand "tactical" lights are overbuilt to the point that even I have a hard time breaking them. Case in point - my original Surefire 6P is still running strong; my son uses it daily. I upgraded to an LED lamp assembly before I gave it to him and that was after almost 30 years of use! My current daily driver is a Streamlight 1L-1AA and I'm sure it will out live me. But all my lights get used in mostly mundane ways; taking the dog for a walk, finding the bathroom while camping, etc.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't trust a lot of things that are branded "tactical" any more than I trust something that's branded "military grade". However most (and certainly not all) name brand "tactical" lights are overbuilt to the point that even I have a hard time breaking them. Case in point - my original Surefire 6P is still running strong; my son uses it daily. I upgraded to an LED lamp assembly before I gave it to him and that was after almost 30 years of use! My current daily driver is a Streamlight 1L-1AA and I'm sure it will out live me. But all my lights get used in mostly mundane ways; taking the dog for a walk, finding the bathroom while camping, etc.
Yeah, unfortunately, the word "tactical" has been co-opted by mass merchandisers to push inferior schlock merchandise on the public. What was the name of that cheap Chinese flashlight some veteran was advertising on TV? The Atomic Flashlight or some such BS. And then there is the B&H "TacLight" .Yeah, "tactical" is the new buzzword, and it is used to sell everything now. Makes me want to :barf:

Last edited:

ghostguy6

Enlightened
Yeah, unfortunately, the word "tactical" has been co-opted by mass merchandisers to push inferior schlock merchandise on the public. What was the name of that cheap Chinese flashlight some veteran was advertising on TV? The Atomic Flashlight or some such BS. And then there is the B&H "TacLight" .Yeah, "tactical" is the new buzzword, and it is used to sell everything now. Makes me want to :barf:
I think your confusing tactical with "Tacti-cool"

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think so. Tacti-cool has been adopted by the gun culture, I haven't noticed it in advertising/merchandising. But maybe you have an example? I don't watch as much media as I used to, in fact, I cancelled my cable, too many video freezes and glitches for what I was paying, I gave it the kiss-off.

Reactions: xxo

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened

I don't think so. Tacti-cool has been adopted by the gun culture, I haven't noticed it in advertising/merchandising. But maybe you have an example? I don't watch as much media as I used to, in fact, I cancelled my cable, too many video freezes and glitches for what I was paying, I gave it the kiss-off.
I'd say a more appropriate moniker would be "mall ninja".

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think so. Tacti-cool has been adopted by the gun culture, I haven't noticed it in advertising/merchandising.
Nah Tacti-cool is completely apt, it's a sarcastic term used to describe the marketing ethos (and those who succumb to it), superfluous (or substandard) items made available in black purely for aesthetics, somewhat akin to the red cars are faster mindset 🤣

An example?

Last edited:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast

FriedTubes

Newly Enlightened
i tried the one light for all. I'm a residential electrician. Blasting a switch box with 300+ lumens and trying to decipher anything but immediate blinding reflection caused me to drop a more practical light into the tool belt.

I also embraced the headlamp to do 90% of job oriented tasks, especially in attics, crawl spaces etc. I think some people don't realize how often electricians are in the dark. I need to get a rechargeable one because I consume a size-able amount of AAA batteries in a year. I use the small black Diamond Nano. I'll take a picture of it because it has been absolutely beaten to hell and still works great. The boot is finally ripping off of the switch.

So long story short, I have a tactical light in the pocket when not working. when I hit a job site I dump it in the van. In the tool belt is a practical light, and around my head is a headlamp.

best system I've found for my situation thus far

Last edited:

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
i tried the one light for all. I'm a residential electrician. Blasting a switch box with 300+ lumens and trying to decipher anything but immediate blinding reflection caused me to drop a more practical light into the tool belt.

I also embraced the headlamp to do 90% of job oriented tasks, especially in attics, crawl spaces etc. I don't think some people don't realize how often electricians are in the dark. I need to get a rechargeable one because I consume a size-able amount of AAA batteries in a year. I use the small black Diamond Nano. I'll take a picture of it because it has been absolutely beaten to hell and still works great. The boot is finally ripping off of the switch.

So long story short, I have a tactical light in the pocket when not working. when I hit a job site I dump it in the van. In the tool belt is a practical light, and around my head is a headlamp.

best system I've found for my situation thus far
Kudos for the Black Diamond headlamp. I have one of their Icons. So what are the other lights?

FriedTubes

Newly Enlightened
Kudos for the Black Diamond headlamp. I have one of their Icons. So what are the other lights?
Well my main "tactical" light lately has been a Malkoff bodyguard V1 head on a SF E1B body with a z68 clicky. I have the V2 head but prefer the V1 when using a single efest 16340. It fits great in the pocket. I'm really looking forward to surefires new turbo handhelds. I sometimes get brave and shove an 18650 cloud MCH HC in my pocket but typically always end up back with a single cell light. I have several but the Lego-malkoff gets the most use.

My tool belt light is a Streamlight wedge. It fits in the belt pocket I've assigned it to nicely. being flat I can stand it up in advantageous positions because of the body style. Set it on a joist, or under a cabinet, Jam it into a box and leave it on. It's got the throw mode if I need to see a larger area but the low mode is "ok". Tint hasn't crossed me up on wires yet. It holds a charge for quite some time on my duty cycle. It too has taken a beating.