TerraLUX MiniMax-1AA?

Al

Enlightened
1AA, 1W, luxeon, 3hr run to 50% ? $25
Whaddaya think? Looked for comments on CPF - couldn't find any.
Brightguy

illmatic

Newly Enlightened
I just received my MiniMax-1AA so I can't tell you anything about runtime. I can tell you that using a AA Lithium it's not brighter than my E1e with the KL1 head, but that's expected because of the voltage. I e-mailed TerraLux about the MiniMax and was told the circuit in it was specifically made for 1AA cells, not the regular MiniStar2...so a 3 volt AA would probably burn it out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I don't think the 1AA is 25 lumens. The body of the flashlight feels pretty cheap...but the 1AA output is pretty good.

illmatic

Newly Enlightened
My beamshots would probably look pretty terrible, so I'm not even gonna try. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif As I left the light at my cousin's house, i don't have access to it at this moment...I'll try to run it when I get it back. From what I remember, the beam quality was basically what the reviews said about the MiniStar2, lots of holes...and since it's running 1AA, it has less output, but pretty good for a 1AA. TerraLux basically put in their Luxeon module into a cheap 1AA MiniMag knock-off with a clicky. Inside the spring of the clicky was the extra incandescent bulb from what I would guess was the original light. If this module had been given a better housing, say something close to the size and quality of an Infiniti Ultra or Arc AA, it would definately be a great product. I've seen people request AA Luxeons from Arc and DSpeck, so there is a market for this platform...I only wished it was executed better by TerraLux. It would be nice to see an expert CPFer take apart the MiniMax and mod it...

Mark_Paulus

Enlightened
Couple of points on this. It seems to have some sort of over-voltage protection. I put a 3.6V Saft LS14500 in it, and nothing happened. My biggest fear was that I let out the magic smoke. But I put standard Lithium AA L91, and it lit back up again.

Also, The module/head combination is very touchy in that somehow, something grabs the module when you turn the head. The net result of this seems to be that one of the module "legs" gets wrapped up around the other leg. A bit of careful work with a pair of needle nose pliers did manage to straighten it out. But something to be aware of.

One other issue on mine. I have a very huge/obvious donut wth mine. Not sure if it's because I'm a whole lot leery of trying to do anything with focus, due to the above problem (see wrapped legs above), or if it's just a problem with this flashlight.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
illmatic416 said:

...1AA MiniMag knock-off with a clicky....

[/ QUOTE ]

Does the clickie have a decent "positive on/off" action?

illmatic

Newly Enlightened
coachbigdog,
Yes, my MiniMax has a donut hole as well, but it's not that obvious if you're not looking for it.

stainless,
As for the clickie question, sorry can you explain what is considered a decent "positive on/off" action?

vcal,
thanks for the heads up on the Roth MiniMiniMag.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding the switch:
simply does it go on or off with a moderate amount of pressure? (Does it go on or off way too easy - or does it take way too much effort to activate. Is it reliable - does it "always" go on or off with a push - ir is it intermittant in operation?)

illmatic

Newly Enlightened
Happy Birthday Stainless,

From what i recall, the switch didn't take that much pressure to turn on the light for momentary purposes, but to leave it on, you had to press the switch in pretty deep. As for the reliability, when i took out the extra incandescent bulb in the tail end and re-attached it, the clicky didn't work and I had to unscrew and readjust the spring, other than that...no other problems.

cnee

Newly Enlightened
Mine has pretty bad donut pattern as well. It is because of the batwing LED used. I end up swapped the LED to a 1W LD and now it has a very smooth pattern with a nice central hot spot. The LD I used has pretty strong blue tint though. I didn't use the HD as I am not sure if the reflector would focus well with the HD. Any one tried that?

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
illmatic416:
Thanks for sharing the details of your experience with this light....
and Thanks for the Birthday greetings.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Understand that the MiniMax construction is cheaper than bulletproof lights like the Ultra and the Arcs. How does it compare to "mass market" lights like the Dorcy's? The Dorcy 1AAA is certainly more lightly constructed than an Arc AAA or even a Sonic, but it seems to be good enough for most reasonable use. Is the MiniMax any worse?

AbnerCadaver

Banned
Well, I just rec'd mine last week, and the aluminum wall of the barrel is more substantial than the dorcy's, but the module seems to "float" as you rotate the head in order to change focus. It doesn't appear anchored in anyway other than the bipin connector on the bottom of the module. This allows the module to somewhat twist although not short out. Output is less than stellar, but for low level navigational purposes, it'll do for my midnight visits to the loo. My Dorcy 2AA 4 led model easily outshines this one, but that is comparing apples to oranges I suppose. YMMV as they say.

Cheers,

Abbie