Test/Review of Charger Xtar VC4

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
had my VC4 for months now and freaking love it. What I did not love about it was the Xtar specific wal wart for it. I just dont have the patience to watch a charge rate sink to .2 etc. So I did some research on wal warts and out of frustration found my iPhone 6 FireWire upgrade wall wart (made by Verizon its a big black cube with a red ring around the front that lights up when charging) and BAM! This wal wart has all 4 slots nailed to .5a when charging 4x18650. Also nails slots 1 and 4 to 1 amp no matter what I have in the slots. The amp meter does NOT move whatsoever. The VC4 now charges my cells up to 3 times faster its like I gave it race gas. No more slow drops to .2 amps for a half an hour BS etc. the iPhone 6 wal wart powers my VC4 to the wall I love it. As for "oh no that is to hard on the cells" I have yet to have a single issue with any cell I have charged on my turbo charged VC4. Sometimes NiMHs will get kind of warm but that is it. VC4 with iPhone 6 upgrade wal wart devours any charger Ive had before. Yes I understand after reading this thread that the VC4 often reads off what it is actually charging but with my hot wal wart powering it the amp meter is nailed as far as it will go. If it is reading off at all it is not by much at all.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are the pros/cons of the VC4 compared with the Nightcore I4?

The former is 5v USB at 2.1A and can be run off of moderately powerful solar panels, or a quality 2.4A wall wart. The latter has a 12v input and can be run off of 12v solar panels, AC wall wart, or a 12v car cigarette adapter.

Both do NiMH and li-ion 3.7v cells. The Xtar 'can' do 500mA for 4 slots and 1A for two slots and the NiteCore i4 will do 4x375mA and 2x750mA.

The Xtar has a nice display showing mAh pumped in, charging rate and cell/battery voltages. The NC has a segmented bar display that progresses as the slots fill up.

I have both and prefer the VC4, but both chargers are apparently safe to use.

Chris

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been looking for a descent usb charger, I had my eye on the xtar vc4 but the only 2 slots at 1amp upsets me.

It would be nice if you could get 4x1amp if you plug in an 12volt psu as it has an barrel power connector anyway, and only 2x1amp when on 5volt usb.

John.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been looking for a descent usb charger, I had my eye on the xtar vc4 but the only 2 slots at 1amp upsets me.

It would be nice if you could get 4x1amp if you plug in an 12volt psu as it has an barrel power connector anyway, and only 2x1amp when on 5volt usb.John.

Yeah, there are always trade-offs to this stuff and I really now only have it for SHTF scenarios since I got my Opus BT-3400 last month.

Like I said before, if you really, really need 1A for four slots, just get a second set of batteries and take your time.

It's there for my 14w Sunkingdom solar panel and so it serves a purpose, albeit a limited one for me.

Chris

recDNA

Flashaholic
Does any American dealer sell the vc4 and sell a good 2.1 amp 5 volt wall adapter that really provides the 2.1 amps to the charger? Anybody try the Samsung 2 amp 5.3 volt wall adapter?

Last edited:

filibuster

Enlightened
Yes they do, (follow sidecross's link). What I found to be the case with the XTAR 2.1A USB car adapter and USB wall adapter is that they output at a slightly higher voltage than is typical of other USB adapters. The Xtar USB adapters push the voltage to the high end of the USB spec or ~5.25V which in turn helps the VC4 maintain the power needed to charge more stably and without a problem. The higher initial voltage out of the adapter helps account for the voltage drop across the wire so more power gets from the USB adapter to the USB device or in this case the VC4 charger.

I've tested the VC4 against a good number of different USB ports and power sources and the higher voltage of the XTAR USB chargers makes all the difference in my 2x cells getting a 1A charge or 4x cells getting a consistent 500mA charge. Ive seen if the USB voltage on the wire drops below 5v then the charging current on the VC4 drops too.

Last edited:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does any American dealer sell the vc4 and sell a good 2.1 amp 5 volt wall adapter that really provides the 2.1 amps to the charger? Anybody try the Samsung 2 amp 5.3 volt wall adapter?

Although you cannot get it anywhere along with a VC4, you can always get a genuine Apple iPad wall wart. These can kick out a real 2.5A.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Although you cannot get it anywhere along with a VC4, you can always get a genuine Apple iPad wall wart. These can kick out a real 2.5A.
My wife has an ipad mini and an old original ipad. Do either of them have the adapter you speak of?

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife has an ipad mini and an old original ipad. Do either of them have the adapter you speak of?

Not sure. At some point, Apple went from a 2.1A charger to a 2.5A charger. Not sure when they made the change. It WILL be printed on the charger, though.

V54_Fan

Newly Enlightened
Any idea why when I charge two 32650's in the outside slots it drops to 0.6A charging?
The power adapter is an Apple 2.1A.

sdmf74

Newly Enlightened
@ HKJ ~ Is this Xtar VC4 the best option in a 4 bay charger w/ mah display? Or is there a better unit out now?
I have a Nitecore D4 but want something to display mah. Charging mainly Eneloop AA&AAA and 18650 L-ion.

(For the VC4 I have an Orico DCP-5U 5 port super charger with 5v 7.2A)[h=1][/h]

Latest posts