The Allure of Surefire lights?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
When your life depends on them, I'd go with Surefire. I have total confidence in their weapon lights (my X300/Ultras have had no issues on several handgun/rifles) and if I were a cop that's definitely what I'd use.

For my EDC/other light obsession, they just don't offer the size/output/battery/price options like others. In that case I really like Fenix and have had great luck with them. Zero issues with their lights over the last 6-8years, and have EDC'd a PD20/PD22UE the last several.

I have had two different Fenixes fail on me. Granted it was in 2007 or such but I still don't want to experiment with them anymore. It was the first generation of L2D I think. They have multiple modes as you know. Well one went into a single, weird morse-code like mode, flashing randomly. I exchanged it for another. It also failed. I got a replacement and sold it NIB. Sadly, an incan Surefire 6P would be more reliable than that as old as it is. I will admit that at the time, the L2D was an impressively massive lumen output and very high on the "wow" factor. I got the "wow" factor every time I ran it. 200 lumens out of 2xAA was, and still is a big deal out of a 2xAA light. The 2x123 was even more impressive. I am not sure if any Surefire lights generated the "wow" factor back in 2007. But today?

I've had zero failures with Malkoffs however. If you never want a failure, get a single mode light with a bulletproof module and a twisty tailcap. You just eliminated all possible failures. It just works and works.

dogfacedsoldier

Newly Enlightened
Please note that I view flashlights as a tool.

Surefire simply holds the standard. I know what I will get with a Surefire. I can depend of it. It is expensive. Yes. Piece of mind is priceless, especially in a combat environment, or on the street (as a cop). I've tooled around with other flashlights, hoping to save a little $$$. In the end, any $$$ saved was quickly lost as the lights failed.

I do wish Surefire would embrace 16580 batteries…..

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, old links from 2008 and 2009, only 10,000 years ago in Internet time.
He wants to start a new one, so what? Let's get it going.

Things change all the time. New lights are introduced by Surefire and the competition. Technology changes. The economy changes.

... says the person quoting a post made over two years ago.

it took me a while to gradually get more and more into surefire. however of the surefires ive owned only one of them was a "current" offering, a M6LT; which is still an amazing light years after its release. other than that my collection has been more or less rehashing surefire's history. a M6 and M4 along with a 6P and 9P bored host from oveready. surefire products do have an allure to them, unfortunately I believe it resides in all their past product. I should also add that with the exeption on the 6P, my other 3 surefire lights are still running incan bulbs.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
it took me a while to gradually get more and more into surefire. however of the surefires ive owned only one of them was a "current" offering, a M6LT; which is still an amazing light years after its release. other than that my collection has been more or less rehashing surefire's history. a M6 and M4 along with a 6P and 9P bored host from oveready. surefire products do have an allure to them, unfortunately I believe it resides in all their past product. I should also add that with the exeption on the 6P, my other 3 surefire lights are still running incan bulbs.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm mostly running pre-2010 Surefires (Z2, 6P, C2, 9P, M4, A2). Exceptions are my E1B, a P2X Fury, and a couple of Scouts. The Fury doesn't get that much use because I don't much care for the slippery grip. It is a GREAT light otherwise, though.

edited to add: I do have a few non-USA made lights: FourSevens Mini123 which is my EDC, an Armytek Barracuda which is my thrower, and a Klarus P1A that I had Vinh mod with a 219A LED which is my airline travel light.

Last edited: