The best 1 cell cr 123 light

jimboutilier

Enlightened
I find myself in the complete opposite situation. I have tried many , and I mean many other lights and the HDS is the one I always find myself coming back to. Yeah, it's not the smallest or the brightest but, it's very durable, feels solid in the hand, always works when I need it, even with a very low battery , and I can program any configuration of brightness settings that best suit my needs.

There is something attractive about fine craftsmanship for sure. I'm particularly fond of the Rotary. And for pouch or bottom of the pocket carriers I can't think of a better EDC light. Here's hoping Henry adds a lanyard attachment point and/or a decent deep pocket clip, and updates to the latest generation LEDs on his next generation of Rotaries.

Henry, if you are reding these think about replacing the stop screw on the rotary with an eyelit that could be used as a lanyard attachment point. And machining a recessed ring without knurling near the base to clip on something like a foursevens deep pocket carry clip.

For or all my criticism, you should note that I still have three HDS lights.:thumbsup:

Theron

Newly Enlightened
McGizmo High CRI Mule and HDS come to my mind first.

I just wish the HDS would get a neutral XP-G2 like my Malkoffs. I really like the light they produce.

A.O.

Newly Enlightened
So I see this thread is current now... I'm looking for this type of light for EDC.. What about the Olight S10-XM-L2 Baton.. seems like a great little light at a good pricepoint.

And why can I not find a review on one of the HDS lights.. I've tried but no can find..

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I see this thread is current now... I'm looking for this type of light for EDC.. What about the Olight S10-XM-L2 Baton.. seems like a great little light at a good pricepoint.

And why can I not find a review on one of the HDS lights.. I've tried but no can find..

The Olight S10-XM-L2 Baton is a nice light with nice features at an affordable price but does not have the durability that HDS, Surefire, McGizmo and other higher end flashlights have.

Here's a review of the HDS Rotary.
http://archive.light-reviews.com/hds_systems_edc-r1s-200/

Last edited:

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vote for my new 90 lumen surefire t1a titan.
Read and looked at beamshots for years and finally grabbed one.
What an awesome keyring light, the one handed operation is spectacular and the more it breaks in the more like butter the head rotates and the beam is amazing, 90 lumens my arse.

RvD

Newly Enlightened
Bought an Olight S10-L2 and was impressed about the amount of light this little thing produces (400Lm)! Easy to carry, don't even feel it in your pocket. Very practical.
Also own a Nitecore TM26 but off course this one blows the Olight completely away..... (but still the Olight is quite impressive, best of both worlds I would say).
Bought a Zebralight SC600 Mark II L2 yesterday for my wife, curious how this one will be compared to my other lights.

thenikjones

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought a Sunwayman V10R Ti+ from the Jerzee Devil forum, an interesting torch

Negatives: awful clucky button, poor clip, feel is not as nice as a McGizmo

Positives: runs on both AA and CR123, quite short (less than Surefire equivalents I own), amazing low mode, variable output is very nice

For the price, I rate it highly. I would love a McGizmo Haiku but at over 3x the cost - I can't currently justify it.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire E1L for the CR123 and Zebralight SC52 for AA in my opinion. Strictly reliability talking. I had an HDS but I sold it, did not have it long enough to test reliability.

hatman

Enlightened
The Lenslight Mini.

The cons: It's just a bit chubby, costs $160 and up, and the Delrin clip takes a little getting used to.

Pros: The aspherical lens quickly zooms from flood to concentrated throw, it uses the great McClicky switch, puts out 330 lumens on a single CR123 battery, and has the nicest tint I've found on any light, whether cool, neutral or high CRI.

By nicest I mean the tint is warm without being brown -- and well, just lovely. It's our favorite dog-walking light. (Becca and Babe, my Dachshunds, like it too.)

On flood, you can find any work product your pups will produce. On throw, you can check out owls or other critters across the street.

It's rated at 1.5 hours on high (330 lumens) and 50 hours on low (5 lumens.) I got the high-only model and estimate no more than 40-45 minutes on my AW rechargeables.

I tried the two-cell model but saw no reason to get the larger model.

I have ZebraLights, EagleTacs, 4Sevens and other lights.
For single cells, I keep coming back to the Mini.

Latest posts