The Best UI ever?...Maybe not...

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've always felt the LiteFlux LF2XT and LF3XT had the best UI. Somewhat tricky to program, but it could be as simple or complex as you want. It's a real shame they've left us. While I don't use mine much any more, they are still keepers.

Geoff

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks but the spacing seems already really good enough.
maybe not everyone reprograms theirs you think ?.

also there are 4 modes available to program right?..if I wanted emergency strobe in there where would be best to put it?.
one would have to go such as medium?.

thanks.

To program an HDS light you have to go through a reset sequence then an enabling sequence immediately thereafter and only then can you change the programming. Any mistakes in both sequences and you can't reprogram it. It would be incredibly unlikely someone would stumble through both of these sequences together and enable programming. Also each programming sequence must be correct or the reprogramming fails. So as long as you disable customization once you are done programming you are pretty safe.

The first time you go to reprogram an HDS light even reading the manual several times and having it in front of you you'll realize how "safe" it is from accidental changes.

Last edited:

jimboutilier

Enlightened
thanks but the spacing seems already really good enough.
maybe not everyone reprograms theirs you think ?.

also there are 4 modes available to program right?..if I wanted emergency strobe in there where would be best to put it?.
one would have to go such as medium?.

thanks.

I've played with levels and options quite a bit on HDS lights but have ended up back at the default EXEC brightness settings and the only option I've kept changed from the EXEC default is enabling the auto off timer. So the stock EXEC is a pretty good EDC choice for me.

Given HDS offers several versions of the same light with the largest difference being the base programming, I expect a lot of folks choose the base programming by buying a particular model they like and use the light "as is" without ever bothering to change much.

You have a handful of options you can enable or disable and four brightness levels you can set from a list of all available ones. Its pretty easy to pick one and change it to be "strobe" if you so choose. Personally I wouldn't choose an HDS light for tactical use so a strobe setting is a bit of a moot point for me.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always felt the LiteFlux LF2XT and LF3XT had the best UI. Somewhat tricky to program, but it could be as simple or complex as you want. It's a real shame they've left us. While I don't use mine much any more, they are still keepers.

Geoff

Agree best ui ever. I still use mine.
Also love the v10r ui. That one is simple.

JedSmith

Newly Enlightened
I haven't found the 'perfect' UI for my personal needs yet. And imo its not just a matter of how the light modes work, but everything about its operating. Things like the size/height of the switch, how easy they are to press, how easy it is to quickly change modes, how easy the switch is to locate in an emergency (in a tactical flashlight), the nature of the strobe (random flashes or regular) and how quickly its turned on when you try to activate it, etc, etc.
IMO the UI on the M series tactical Olights are outstanding and I own an M18 and M22 for that reason. Its not 'perfect', and there are a few things I would change if I could. I guess I would have to have a light built from the ground up for such personal perfection, but its as close as I have found for my requirements in a tactical flashlight, so far.

Last edited:

GregY

Newly Enlightened
The lucidrv is 5 clicks to lock/unlock and 10 to reprogram. Pretty easy to do accidentally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand that now (well as of some time last year) lucidrv has the ultimate lockout option.

Get the light how you want, program the groups and modes just how you like, then bridge the 4th star and the light is no longer programmable - at that point all it will do is mode lock/unlock, and switch groups.

Personally I think lucidrv sounds like something I really need to try.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: AW: The Best UI ever?...Maybe not...

Old thread but I wanted to post since I finally realized which UI's I like and which ones are almost useless to me.

Best-worst in descending order:

1. Zebralight - Instant access to every mode. Quick access to additional submodes (easy double click)
2. Nitecore (EA4) - I like having momentary and quick access to all modes. Even though you have to cycle through them, it's still a single button
3. Twist - I never liked twisties, but with 3 or less modes it's acceptable for SOME applications
4. Fenix models with a side switch - I'm really sick of this. I love my PD32UEs but rarely use them since I have to fumble with two buttons positioned in completely different locations and cycle thru FIVE modes. Dumb.

I never had a variable ring control but this sounds like it would be towards the top.

I agree, especially for the application of preventing accidental activation if it's banging around with other items in one's pocket. Twist head single mode is my favorite.

ZL has got to be up there for instant access to multimodes, provided you're not one of those who finds they have to lock it out. No longer instant. You're worn out by fenix' side switch, only on the two button models, what about the single side switches? Still fumbly?