The discharge function on chargers you need?

XTAR Light

Enlightened
Vendor
Many users may need the discharge function on chargers to test their batteries' real capacity. Or they can discharge their full batteries to optimal storage level. For example, xtar vc8s charger has the battery capacity grading and storage function, which can discharge 8 batteries at 300ma each without getting hot.

Some people told they would need a separate discharge function mode. If they need to discharge a battery for some reason, they want to select the discharge current manually, choose the permitted voltage to stop at. Will you also need such discharge function? And how about the discharge current do you think it's suitable? Welcome to comment below!

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya it's nice. Every year I test capacity to see if it's time to retire or not. Up to 2A would be nice. More than that and it'll get too expensive, big, and hot

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having a charger that can charge/discharge to a set voltage of the users' choosing would be nice. I like to keep my flashlight batteries near 3.8V-3.85V.

Building that feature in a cost effective way may end up being a certain number of voltage settings?

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will you also need such discharge function?
I absolutely do, and I use the SkyRC MC-3000, which has been in production for 10+ years with very few changes. I have two of them. They still sell pretty well I believe, so it's not too late to enter that product segment. It currently has little-to-no competition, all things considered.

While you're looking for things to improve, bring back LFP chemistry support. If you read this forum, I think you'll find many people use such cells (particularly 16x34).

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I absolutely do, and I use the SkyRC MC-3000, which has been in production for 10+ years with very few changes. I have two of them. They still sell pretty well I believe, so it's not too late to enter that product segment. It currently has little-to-no competition, all things considered.

While you're looking for things to improve, bring back LFP chemistry support. If you read this forum, I think you'll find many people use such cells (particularly 16x34).
If they need to discharge a battery for some reason, they want to select the discharge current manually, choose the permitted voltage to stop at. Will you also need such discharge function?
I realized that I failed to provide proper context of my response. Sorry about that. What I had in mind was that when I wish to test a cell's discharge capacity for purpose of comparison with the cell manufacturer's stated capacity specification, this indeed requires that one discharge the cell to the same minimum discharge / cutoff voltage that the manufacturer uses to determine their advertised capacity rating for the cell. It's my understanding that this discharge cutoff votage varies, depending on the manufacturer. That value must therefore be configurable in order to do that optimally / properly and provide comparable data.

To some extent, this also applies to the discharge current used, as that also directly impacts measured capacity. I realize that in certain segments where simple charging is all that's desired, this is overkill; however many wish to do basic cell performance analysis. I'm using the devices I'm currently using primarily, but not exclusively, because I need both of those functions, and few if any other devices provide that configuration capability.

Last edited: