The HDS Double Beryl 90% Diffuse Reflector

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, didn't even look at the calendar. Ok, so you were nice enough to give us a long weekend break :p

That could be bad news...I might not be available on the 24th. One day at a time, we'll see

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
[FONT=&quot]The Double Beryl characteristics:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Things that make the Double Beryl 90% diffuse reflector more than just a cool glow in the dark reflector.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The beryl color is emitting at the same location at the notch in the LED spectral emissions, thus raising the LED color rendering ability by 1/2 a point. We confirmed this on the integrating sphere. What does this mean? The CRI is going up .5. If you are a hiCRI whore, and I know I am, I'll take that half a point. We found green lowered the CRI by almost half a point. There was no perceptible change in color temp (roughly 125 degrees kelvin).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Green Cones peak out a roughly 500-535 nanometers peak sensitivity.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The rods peak out at roughly 480-500 nanometers.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The peak on the beryl is at 490 nanometers.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Although people believe that green is more visible, it is only more visible when using the cones (color). While the beryl is technically dimmer, it has the same visibility as the green with dark adapted eyes. So, the green is emitting more photons, but in an area where the eyes are less sensitive to them, while the beryl is emitting less photons, it is in an area where the rods are more sensitive to them.[/FONT]

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any idea what frequency it absorbs to get the energy to be able to emit this spectrum filling goodness?

Not a clue. I had Henry explain it me to me while I typed and I, like INFRNL, pretty much only understood .5 higher CRI. He did explain it to me and showed me the graph on the sphere... but I'm old. My puppy would understand it better.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any idea what frequency it absorbs to get the energy to be able to emit this spectrum filling goodness?

OK. Here is a graph just for explaining what is going on. If you look at the 590 section on the graph, most emitters have a valley here. The beryl color is popping this up slightly, which then effects overall CRI of the light output. Henry was showing me the standard reflector vs. the Double Beryl, and you could see the valley was slightly higher, and along with that, the CRI. When the light is on, the phosphors are both absorbing and releasing photons, and the ones released are around the 490 nanometer section.

I think the elf just likes the color.

40513340-674727709559205-2860667180863717376-n-2.jpg

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some white (Navajo White) door shots.

High Noon Standard Reflector:
img-1753.jpg

High Noon Double Beryl reflector:
img-1754.jpg

From years ago, complete diffuse reflector:
img-1755.jpg

I'll see if I can get some beam shots tonight outside.

These were from about 6 feet away.

It's hard to tell, but there is a very large hot spot in the Double Beryl.

Double Beryl on ceiling. Here you can see the hot spot.

img-1758.jpg

Last edited:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to have that complete diffuse reflector. Anything floody is perfect for what I need.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glow time on the Double Beryl.
High Noon on maximum for 40 seconds then turned off. Light was kept in a dark room in the safe. Tritium vials for light reference.
img-1759.jpg

1 hour later.
img-1765.jpg

2 hours
img-1766.jpg

3 hours
img-1767.jpg

4 hours
img-1768.jpg

5 hours
img-1769.jpg

6 hours...
img-1770.jpg

7 hours: I was at a restaurant eating. No photo.

8 hours
img-1771.jpg

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's like you're mocking us for buying the 1st run. :cry:

Not at all. This isn't over. After this, there should be about 3 or 4 more special reflector runs... all rather different.
The first green one was semi-diffused and well, green.
This is 90% diffused and beryl. Had no idea it would increase the CRI until it went on the sphere.
Have been working on the next run of specialized reflectors, and I don't know exactly what they will prove to be once tested.

Look at it like this... You have a 1 of 12 HDS Factory Custom reflector that won't be made again. You paid less for it than all future custom reflectors will cost. I know for a fact we are not going to make any more semi-diffuse like this.

It makes me wonder what one of the older fully diffused white reflectors might sell for. I know people want them. Let's say I had one or two for sale (I don't, but let's say I did). I would bet if I put one in the WTS section and listed it at $84 (double the price they sold for), many people would scream rape... but someone would scream "rape me!" in the form of "I'll take it!" Supply and demand, and you my friend have an item that only 12 were made, so the supply is pretty darn small. As for demand, they sold out in about 60 seconds. I am willing to bet if you listed it for sale for more than you paid for it right now, it would sell fast.

Last edited:

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast
We don't use any LocTite or anything on them. Have you seen my video on how to do it? It is as much how to do it as it is how not to do it.

No. I searched the hds videos on YouTube, but didn't find anything on reflector removal. I think I'm mostly scared to break it , or ruin the threads. It's plastic right?

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright. I'm just being too cautious. I'll give it another go tomorrow night. Thanks for the video. Have a swig if rum on my behalf. Cheers.