The *M6-R*: FULLY REGULATED RECHARGEABLE M6 makes an auspicious debut

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The *M6-R*: FULLY REGULATED RECHARGEABLE M6

I understand your sentiments, but just to balance things out, keep in mind that in those first two minutes, the M6 HOLA is putting out way more than 500 lumens. SureFire may be rather optimistic when it comes to runtime, but they are fairly conservative when it comes to lumens ratings. I'd guess that the M6 on 123's doesn't actually fall to 500 lumens until 3-5 minutes into the run.

Nonetheless, your observation about whiteness is correct. Whatever the absolute lumens are, there is still a rather large (to my taste) drop-off over the run when using 123's.

Brightnorm,

I was thinking, that at $60 for a 20 minute run at the full, fresh 6.8 volt brightness using 123's, the M6-R would pay for itself in just over an hour or so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif hehe.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

The M6's original design mission was to serve as a blindingly bright true tactical light for law enforcement and the military. As a mission-specific light it was designed to give incredible brightness during the typically brief periods of a violent encounter. It was not meant to be a duty light though some LEOs have used it at least partly in that role. (see Lightraven's posts in this thread).

Jim,

It also pays for itself in terms of satisfaction, function and sheer Flashaholic pleasure. The M6 is now cheaper to run than the 6P!

BN

cy

Flashaholic

makes me want an M6 even more.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Jim,

Your "rate of return" argument is very interesting. I'll suggest it to my wife for a Christmas present... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tom

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
...The M6 is now cheaper to run than the 6P!

BN

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to let this statement sink in. I'd think that various Law Enforcement agencies and the right Military people that use the SF M6 will need to be made aware of this.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Britt,

Despite savings over time the M6-R's upfront cost isn't cheap and officers always say that departments won't shell out one penny more than they have to, and cop salaries make individual purchase difficult.

The M6-R hasn't yet been tested in demanding conditions and we don't know how it will fare during rough professional handling. Hopefully the other beta testers can put it through its paces. Too bad none of them are LEOs (I think).

BN

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast

If I had an M6 I would be more than willing to Beta Test the system. I work nights and the output of an M6 is what I'm seeking, the cost of the M6 and keeping it fed is what has stopped me.

*Retired*

So, since the M6 peters out so rapidly, it seems you'd definitely need to replace the batteries after each use,
or just utilize it briefly.

Then you have to replace six 123 lithium batteries.

"devastating 500 lumens for 20 minutes (30 times the light output of a typical two D-cell alkaline flashlight)."

Anyone have runtime plots on the M6?

brightnorm

Flashaholic

bmp (yet again).
There must be hundreds of M6 owners on CPF. I hope they've all had a chance to see this, especially the LEOs.

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic

M6-R: Operational cost and quick battery change:

I was tempted to start another thread entitled "SF M6 now cheaper to run than 6P" or even "The M6-R: cheaper to feed than your dachshund" because the economy of the M6-R is such an important feature. Using the figures from my initial post where a 20 minute "full brightness" run on 123's would require six complete battery changes at a minimum cost of $60.00 it's clear that the M6-R kit would quickly pay for itself. I don't know how much Jim would have to charge to make even a small profit while providing top quality components, but there is no question that he would keep it as inexpensive as possible.

Depending on cost and the type of use, the M6-R could pay for itself in as little as 1-3 hours of very intense constant use or as much as several weeks or more if used rarely.

Rapid battery change is another important feature of the M6-R. Last night I tested the practicality of quickly changing batteries "in the field" as opposed to "in the living room". A LEO would probably prefer having a backup light handy rather than changing batteries, but with this light you have the option of both. I had my M6-R with regulated pack in its Blackhawk holster on my left side and carried the original 6x123 pack in a well fitting though rather tight belt holster (from an LED light, probably the ALX) on my right side. I went outside my apartment building and, with our doorman as a rather amused spectator removed the light from its holster and pretended to shine it at various objects (too many people around including the occasional LEO to have the light actually turned on).

I imagined that the warning pulses suddenly started and transferred the M6-R to my left hand (I'm right-handed) and immediately opened the tail, slid out the pack and pocketed it while retaining the tailcap in my right hand: about 6-8 seconds. Then I unflapped the battery holster but had difficulty extracting the tight-fitting pack. I went inside and stretched the holster until the battery pack slid out fairly easily. I went back outside and repeated the entire procedure but still found the pack difficult to extract. I realized that the pack's diameter was almost identical to my 2oz Fox OC spray unit and tried it in one of those holsters. It fit perfectly and protruded enough to grab easily so I mounted it on the right side of my belt.

Once more I repeated the entire procedure. From the start of (imaginary) pulsing to firing up with the new battery it took exactly 22 seconds. I practiced a few times and got it down to 10 seconds. This is remarkable and means that a professional carrying a similar setup, assuming he has practiced the procedure, could if necessary have a fresh M6 ready to go in literally a matter of seconds.

As a civilian Flashaholic I would probably never use this quick change ability, but this could be a great asset to those who might need it.

Brightnorm

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

BN, that's just the kind of testing that needs to be done to find out the little bugaboos that show up in a "tactical" situation.

Over the last 35 years, I've had difficulty finding the right carrying equipment for various tools and equipment I use. I usually wind up having carrying equipment, pouches, sheaths, holsters etc. made custom.

A year and a half ago, I talked with Greg Gutcher Sr. of Sullivan's Holster Shop (makes the sheaths for Randall Made Knives) about a Lens down holster for the M3T and M6. He acknowledged that it would be problematic but could be done. I sort of lost interest when I found I seldom used mine.

You and JS have brought up what I consider the "dirty secret" of the M6, that with the HOLA and a fresh set of CR123As, you don't get 20 minutes of maximum output. Far from it.

The "M6R" would get me the kind of output I bought the M6 for and for very close to 20 minutes. This brings the M6 back into something practical and not a toy as mentioned by others.

Lots of money is being poured into the civilian SWAT and US Military SO community. They have alot of latitude in buying things off the shelf and not having to go through the whole procurement rigamarole.

When they are ready for sale, I'll be purchasing one for my M6. I've got some non-tactical need that the M6R would be perfect for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
makes me want an M6 even more.

[/ QUOTE ]

SAME! I would never buy the M6 because of its running cost, in fact I told myself should I ever come into enough money, the 10X would still be the front runner due to its rechargeable pack.

....not....now....

I wish I could afford an M6, but the U2 will have to do. I'd have to EDC the light in order to justify its purchase price. Even the U2 is a big, BIG one-time stretch that I'm not planning on repeating for a long time.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

bmp
Moderators, my apologies if I have exceeded bmp repetition standards, but I want this to be seen by as many CPFers as possible because this mod virtually eliminates running costs, one of the main reasons people who want an M6 don't feel able to afford one.
BN

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wanted to post here about the exploration of various options for an M6-R LOLA. At present it looks as if the MN16 M3T HOLA is going to be a great choice and will provide 225+ regulated bright white lumens for--I'm guessing--about 40 minutes. Keep an eye on the M6-R thread in the mod forum for details, but in any case, I will post the final choice of LOLA to this thread, and with any luck brightnorm or one of the other field testers, or myself, will have details and possibly beam shots and so on.

Field testing has been delayed a week due to a back injury of mine flaring up, but other than that I still think everything is on schedule for a Jan or Feb signup thread and first build run.

straightblast

Newly Enlightened

I am very interested in this project...as are a number of friends who don't post here. If anyone is keeping a running list of "I want one's when it is figured out" please put me on it.

In addition to LE and Mil SO groups who find this light an advantage...there is another group of civilian contractors who will as well. If the tool truly works, the cost will be worth it, I believe (no, I am not a civilian contractor).

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
js said:
I wanted to post here about the exploration of various options for an M6-R LOLA...with any luck brightnorm or one of the other field testers, or myself, will have details and possibly beam shots and so on...

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim,

I won't be doing any LOLA testing, hopefully the others will. No question that 225+ lumens for 40 regulated minutes will be a marvelous use of the M6-R.

Brightnorm

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Brightnorm,

Having a LOLA to go with the rechargeable pack is nice to look forward to. However things may be even rosier than we're thinking. I'm guessing, just like Jim, but my guess is higher. I believe the MN16 will run for 65 plus or minus 10 regulated minutes. My guess is based upon the 60-minute nominal time for the 250 lumen MN20 running in the M6. I think the 225 lumen MN16 will draw less current and thus run longer.

I'm all juiced up to check it out. I have both an M6 and an MN16 on their way to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul

brightnorm

Flashaholic

60 minutes would be very impressive. I'm looking forward to your tests.

BN

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I won't be able to test the MN16 in the M6 until the rechargeable packs are available. I think the MN16 would flash in the M6 on 2x3x123. That gives higher voltage than the M3T's 3x123.

Paul