The most powerful Maglite mods list

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Joined
Nov 5, 2005
Messages
10,657
Location
MS
Lips said:
Nice post LL

#8 is my fav of all.

(1D)

Yeah and the best news is AW just shipped the replacement Protected 14670 cells so I can crank up the 1111, and also the 1500 custom Carley 43W bulb lights made for FiveMega.
 

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Aug 23, 2004
Messages
2,590
Location
Dallas, Tx
LuxLuthor said:
I never heard of this one, but seeing this Ginseng thread where he says it is about 2,000L for the 50W bulb or 1400L for the 35W, it sounds like it would be in the 5th slot (w/ 50W) in my thread above. Any that have it do a comparison or give their opinion?

Looking at this GB thread, there is also a 75W model bulb...not sure what that lumen output is
. Hard to evaluate it with all the options.

Yah it was designed to use a wide variety of bulbs but mine came with an Osram 64623 :) Mine was specially built though. He held onto it a little longer to test out a different socket configuration. I dont think any of the others came with anything greater than the 75w bulb. And most had 50's. But mine definately puts out the light :)

Shane
 

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Jan 17, 2006
Messages
1,267
Location
Southwest
LUXLUTHER- I would agree but have to add a 5.5 choice to you list. The 1185 was a solution that came around first so it became very popular, is very efficient and can be made in many configurations. With that reputation some of the obscured combinations are over looked. As you point out the 1164 beats it in brilliance and at a slightly lower voltage. The Phillips 5761 lies right between the two, it is almost 900 torch-lumens, 1336 BL/868 TL, on 7.2 volts. The lower voltage allows more cells and therefore longer burn times in many configurations and definately lends itself to Lithium and NiMh power solutions and runs well without soft start or hot drivers. This bulb will work in a number of combinations that are used for the WA1111, @ 550 TL and the Pelican 3854, ROP, @ 600 TL. The 2C mag modded to an ROP LE was touted as being the brightest in that small of a combination. When unprotected 18650s with 2600 mAh cam along I found that the ROP LE stepped down to the 5761 plugged into that combination of parts. This had to be tested because the theoretical numbers suggested it was a line walker as to whether it would work well. Easy to see that it would hold voltage for a reasonable amount of time to keep the lumens up to the same output at 7.2 NiMh packs of 5.4 mAh capacity, and I use that light every night, it is a work horse not a shelf queen.
There are a few folks working with Osram IRC 50W and 65W bulbs and soon we shall see how they fit into the heavy hitters at these get up into the 3k-4k torch lumen catagories.
This is a fun thread!
 

Action

Enlightened
Joined
Sep 15, 2005
Messages
427
I have to say that this is one of my favorite new threads. Great post LuxLuthor!

Nice addition Northern Lights, good to see more info on comparisons of lower voltage options.
 

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Jan 5, 2004
Messages
1,015
Location
NW Rainforest
JimmyM deserves some credit for his 11,000-lumen Mag458 monster-on-steroids light. The light is 3 feet long and is powered by 17 high-current 1/2D NiMH 4Ah cells. The beauty of the 90W Osram 458 bulb is that it can be overdriven to insane levels. I tried the mighty 623 bulb in this light and it popped instantly. After I bought JimmyM's light, I added FiveMega's new 3-inch head to give it more focused beam. This light will rock your socks. That's it on the left. Next to it are a 3,000-lumen 623 and an approx. 900-lumen, low-resistance 1185 regulated with AWR's Hotdriver (11.1V). Both are in FiveMega hosts that are bored for high-current GP2000 NiMH cells and both have external charging jacks.

DSC00684.jpg
 

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
1,281
Location
Atlanta, Ga.
Josey said:
JimmyM deserves some credit for his 11,000-lumen Mag458 monster-on-steroids light. The light is 3 feet long and is powered by 17 high-current 1/2D NiMH 4Ah cells. The beauty of the 90W Osram 458 bulb is that it can be overdriven to insane levels. I tried the mighty 623 bulb in this light and it popped instantly. After I bought JimmyM's light, I added FiveMega's new 3-inch head to give it more focused beam. This light will rock your socks. That's it on the left. Next to it are a 3,000-lumen 623 and an approx. 900-lumen, low-resistance 1185 regulated with AWR's Hotdriver (11.1V). Both are in FiveMega hosts that are bored for high-current GP2000 NiMH cells and both have external charging jacks.

DSC00684.jpg

THAT LIGHT IS INSANE!!!!!
 

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Joined
Nov 5, 2005
Messages
10,657
Location
MS
I was recently thinking that if more women were interested in flashlights, then Jimmy could finally sell his "John Holmes" multi-use light stick. LOL!
 

CLHC

Flashaholic
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
6,001
Location
PNW|WA|USA
Hey Now! Thanks for that compilation LuxLuthor.

What's a "John Holmes" multi-use light stick? :thinking:
 

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Aug 30, 2006
Messages
2,853
Location
Boston, MA, USA
LuxLuthor said:
I was recently thinking that if more women were interested in flashlights, then Jimmy could finally sell his "John Holmes" multi-use light stick. LOL!
Yeah. Multi-use. I like that.
That thing looks crazy. I forgot it was that big. However, it could be built into a 3D using 2/3As (Elite1500s) or a 5D using 4/5As (GP2000s) a 3x6 arrangement of 4/5As is only 14.4mm longer than 4 Ds. Maybe the tailcap could be trimmed to allow them to fit into a 4D. Imagine that.
Maybe when I have some time...
 

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Aug 30, 2006
Messages
2,853
Location
Boston, MA, USA
Josey said:
I added FiveMega's new 3-inch head to give it more focused beam.

Do you have any beamshots of the before and after of this light when you did the FM3 upgrade. I'd love to see the after shot at a distance.
 

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Joined
Nov 5, 2005
Messages
10,657
Location
MS
CHC said:
Hey Now! Thanks for that compilation LuxLuthor.

What's a "John Holmes" multi-use light stick? :thinking:

I'll let you have the pleasure of looking up "John Holmes" on google.

Jimmy, I will have a bunch of shots of MaxBlaster, Torch, FM3H-2, Delghi 3" various combinations, and with various Osram bulbs like 64623, 64625, 62138, & with various battery packs from 13.2/14.4/15.6V, and that 8 x 14670 Carley 43W. I'm waiting for it to warm up a bit and the snow to melt here in CT.

I'm also hoping to get a 250W like Mac did with the 64655, and another 19.2V setup for the 64458 bulbs.
 

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Aug 30, 2006
Messages
2,853
Location
Boston, MA, USA
LuxLuthor said:
I'll let you have the pleasure of looking up "John Holmes" on google.

Jimmy, I will have a bunch of shots of MaxBlaster, Torch, FM3H-2, Delghi 3" various combinations, and with various Osram bulbs like 64623, 64625, 62138, & with various battery packs from 13.2/14.4/15.6V, and that 8 x 14670 Carley 43W. I'm waiting for it to warm up a bit and the snow to melt here in CT.

I'm also hoping to get a 250W like Mac did with the 64655, and another 19.2V setup for the 64458 bulbs.
It will be like Beamshot Christmas!
 

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Jan 17, 2006
Messages
1,267
Location
Southwest
LL, yes, please post some of these beam shots or links to them, they are very useful resource material. Thanks.
 

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Joined
Nov 5, 2005
Messages
10,657
Location
MS

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Aug 23, 2004
Messages
2,590
Location
Dallas, Tx
LuxLuthor said:
[/list]I added a new #2 today

You should put the Polaris TK on the list. The only info i could find on that 75w bulb was that it outputs 13500 (cd) whatever that means. The designation on the bulb is JR2701 12V75W EYF. Turns out i still had the box my lamp came in.

Shane
 
Top