"The Most Powerful Weapon In The World" (AA-12)

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't get the purpose of the AA12. Why would you ever need such a high ROF on a shotgun?

The way I see it, you've already got the spread, so why do you still need the spray-and-pray?

Someone want to explain to me why this gun is practical? Or is this just one of those "I made it because I can" guns?

First, I don't know if you've used a shotgun much, but most people who haven't seriously overestimate the spread at practical ranges. Second, you don't get much spread with slugs or the minigrenade rounds discussed in the videos, or other single-projectile rounds. Third, sometimes shredding a piece of plywood is not good enough, and you really need to disintegrate it. (The latter being the principal reason I'd like one, naturally. :D)

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone want to explain to me why this gun is practical? Or is this just one of those "I made it because I can" guns?

I actually see some possible military utility as a specialized weapon.
- At ranges and in conditions that US Army doctrine says automatic/burst fire is an effective choice for the M16 series rifle, the spread on a shotgun is very low. Inside those ranges the shotgun produces devastating wounds. The spreading pattern of shot probably increases the range where a burst makes sense because you at least get some target effect (versus round 2+ on the M16 burst being an almost certain miss at that range).
- A large capacity shotgun, with quick reloads, should give you higher sustained rates of semiautomatic fire than a lower capacity pump shotgun. If a shotgun makes sense then a shotgun that spends more time in the fight is an advantage. (Whether it's worth the extra weight and complexity is more the question in this case.)
- Burst or rapid semiautomatic fire with explosive rounds would have an awesome suppressive effect both in a defense and covering an assault. Probably not as lethal as the Mk-19 or M203 40mm rounds but something going boom nearby still has a suppressive effect. The weapon is more portable than the Mk-19 and can sustain higher rates of aimed fire than the 203.

It's offers a lot of capabilities...with some distinct liabilities. I don't know if it will find a market but I don't have a sense it's just "because they can."

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
From Streetsweepers: The Complete Book of Combat Shotguns, by Duncan Long:
Duncan Long said:
It appears doubtful that the AA-12 will be made in the near future since much of the market for it seems to have dried up, and most investors would be wary of trying to work with Atchisson after his track record with Sceptre. It is unfortunate that the AA-12 never went into production. Its design is certainly well thought out and - probably - now debugged.
And all it took for it to make a comeback was six years of war. :ironic:

LightCannon

Enlightened
First, I don't know if you've used a shotgun much, but most people who haven't seriously overestimate the spread at practical ranges. Second, you don't get much spread with slugs or the minigrenade rounds discussed in the videos, or other single-projectile rounds. Third, sometimes shredding a piece of plywood is not good enough, and you really need to disintegrate it. (The latter being the principal reason I'd like one, naturally. :D)

Haha. I have used a shotgun before, although not for long enough to get a good feel of what the general spread was like. Clay pigeons aren't particularly good for that.;)

On another note...whatever happened to the Pancor Jackhammer?

R@ndom

Enlightened
Mhm some people might have the need for the extreme rpm. One example being the metalstorm pistol which fires 3 sounds in less time than a conventional pistol fires one. It has it's advantages...

That usn railgun does it for me though.

Last edited:

gsxrac

Enlightened
Yea this gun's been around for a few years now I think. Now... Ive shot two rounds of buckshot out of a double barrel at the same time and thats pretty intense. I wonder how fun it is to put that many rounds through a shotty all in a matter of seconds? Might wanna wear a mouth guard so you dont rattle your pearly whites out!

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder where the Black Talon round would fall in the regulations.

The Black Talon (now discontinued; it and its successor the Winchester Ranger Talon) would probably be only used during hostage-rescue missions, and where immediately stopping the bad guys to save the lives of people in immediate danger is more important than strict Hague compliance.