The new Arc-LS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Viren,

I copied your questions in post #70

1) How would the Light Engine drive the LED ?
---a) is it going to be a Constant 'Power' (like HDS) or
---b) Constant 'Current'
---c) Is it going to be a trade secret (way of driving LED)

my answer: C

Btw, merely maintaining a steady power to the LED would not produce a constant lumen output during all conditions. There are many ways to regulate in relation to an LED: current, voltage, power, temperature, light output, etc.

2) If the PC Programmable feature is a 'minor', what are the 'major' features of the new Arc LS (if they are secret at this moment, atleast give us some hints)

previous post

3) Pictures would be helpful (if i am asking for way too much... just forget it )

I have anodized prototypes that may *look* production ready. Since I know they are not and I know pictures might communicate that program is further along than it is, I would like to wait.

I realize there is a fine line between providing some indication of what I am working on and hype.

4) How does the Temprature 'Control' work?
---a) is it like HDS or (abrupt Step down)
---b) is it like magLED (smooth step down)

clear step down in brightness.

5) How does it Look?
---a) like Old arc LS (but more refined)
---b) like one of McGizmo's work of art
---c) like HDS / Old Arc 4

Cosmetics... bah humbug!

OK, take b and add a little a.

Peter

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gransee said:
RE: Minor/major features

What constitutes a "major" feature or specification for me may be a minor feature or unimpressive specification for another. Since the LS is first a tool, its major points are things such as its size, mechanical construction, switch/UI design, lm/w efficiency, beam/power envelope, etc. Since there are other mfgs that recognize at least some of those as important as well, details on those features would be more helpful to them than us talking about a minor feature.

To some extent, the only really significant thing I have to say about the LS at this point is that I am working on it. That doesn't mean that some of you, and me as well, can enjoy talking about some of the minor details. We love flashlights. And some point, I will be posting more information about the flashlight to this thread.

Peter

Peter, I agree with you when it comes to defining 'major' features, what people consider as a 'major' feature will certainly differ from person to person.

OK :) now looking at the New Arc LS flashlight as a Tool ....

Size :) I believe it will definately between HDS and FireFlyIII But is anyway near to either? How does it compare with Fenix P1 in terms of size .. Personaly I would prefer "Smaller the Better".. and YES "Size Does Matter" :D

I am sure it would have a good construction and solid built quality (similar to Arc AAA) .... perhaps more like solid built Civictor V1

Switch: this is the area where I belive most improvemets could have taken place, considering 40% failure rate that of Arc 4+ (i read this some where here) and the previous Arc 4+ Designers(HDS) still haviing their 'rev's and issues getting sorted out (they even have a 'CONtest' conversion of B42 to U42.. just to prove tat thumbs and switches are strong & reliable :p). Switch is definately one of the MAJOR improvements / Feature that I would look forward to (yes i have started saving to get this light....)

UI Design: since this is a more advanced light, I still doubt if it is going to simple as simple to operate as Photon Freedom... man I love Photon Freedom UI.. its simple... yet complete :) .. I even had my own version of UI (posted at Photon Forums)... wonder if I would be able to implement this with the 'minor' PC Programming Feature... oh by the way, will you be offering a very 'minor' feature of allowing users to program their own UI the way they want to?

lm/w efficiency:
to get better Lm/w is it going to undertrive LED's or use T bin Lux I like TWOH Lux I???? or we will have a typical Luxeon Lumen/Watt ... the New LS perhaps may have surprises here... in the New LS.... may be Nichia / Cree???... well... let the suspense (Apprehension about what is going to happen) begin ;)

beam/power envelope: I believe, this wont be a good thrower, but will have a good balance of throw, flood and sidespill. If some one is going to expect LS as a thrower, they will be dissapointed... but one should understand that Throw is directly proportional to the size of reflector ... I also believe that the LS will have a UUCL Clear Double Coated 99.8% transmissive AR Lens at the frontend...

I know Peter, you have many more people who praise, but I want to be one of the Critic and want to contribute Positively towards LS development, some of my points may be totaly baseless and naive...

Isak Hawk

Enlightened
ViReN said:
I also believe that the LS will have a UUCL Clear Double Coated 99.8% transmissive AR Lens at the frontend...

Hmmm, personally I think I would prefer a sapphire lens. A little less output but much more scratch resistant (so better for EDC imo), or am I wrong here?

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
viren,

I am not ready to go into more detail at this time. Sorry.

please understand that this means that although I have read your questions, I am not responding with a "yes" or "no" to any question.

I want to get closer to completion before revealing more details.

Peter

wmirag

Enlightened
For what it's worth, I'd like to emphasize the importance of size.

Like most of you, I love lights and have quite a few excellent ones. But only a few of my lights are candidates for EDC because size is so important to me. Most of my larger lights get used only for particular tasks - like when I know I'll need a light for a task like a night walk or a trip to the attic. I guess the one exception to that is when I take my E2D to the city - for fear I'll need to crawl out of a smoke-filled disaster.

When I don't know I'll need a light, I take the smallest one with the most features. For a long time, that was my ArcLS, then my HDS, and nowadays my CR2-Ion.

Though I really liked the HDS and EDC'd it for a year, the addition of 1/16 inch in diameter and a half inch in length over the Arc LS made its presence in my pocket a small but constant annoyance whereas I almost never noticed my ArcLS and I *never* notice my CR2-Ion.

So, for my money, the ideal light would be ArcLS-Twisty sized with HDS features, button interface, AND whatever other goodies Peter can think up!

W.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gransee said:
viren,

I am not ready to go into more detail at this time. Sorry.

please understand that this means that although I have read your questions, I am not responding with a "yes" or "no" to any question.

I want to get closer to completion before revealing more details.

Peter

agreed :) ... lets hear from you when you are ready :) ...

icecube

Newly Enlightened
What about price?

I feel the burn a little for a EDC light. 3W or so, 3 hour life...I'm thinking Peak Caribbean...

I like Arc. I honestly think that the AAA-P rev.4 is one of the best lights out there. I use it almost everyday. The light output is stunning. Top quality. Top firepower. Top everything. Top price too. 40 bucks for that? Sure.

Plus, it's Made-in-USA. (Excepting LED and electronics) But any figures on the price?

Miciobigio

Enlightened
It is a great joy to hear that a new Arc LS will born !!!
I'm in ( unless is comparable to a Fenix :lolsign: )

What i'd like :

1) The Look = KISS , just one/some milled slots for tritium vials ( a tritium vial is really usefull in the dark when you have to find your torch )

2) Multilevel = more then 2 level please ( better if rot. switch SFU2, Spy05, Gatlight2 )

3) Color = HA3-NAT .

:sold:

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some answers to questions on minor features.

1. yes, there is at least 1 slot for a tritium vial. We have no plans to sell the vials ourselves. It would be a user mod and it takes less than 2 minutes of labor. All you need is some glue and the vial color of your choice. I understand there are several places a person can buy the vials, I think they come in different colors and they are not too expensive.

3. clear (natural) Hard Anodize, Type III of course! The parts will usually be anodized at different times so expect normal variations from part to part.

already answered the price question, twice. Not a great answer by some standards, but the best answer for now, considering all factors.

Peter

Last edited:

teststrips

Enlightened
I'll definately be watching for news on this... hopefully something better than a confirmation that you're working on it. I did gleam some info through reading your posts, but I don't blame you for keeping design + most details to yourself

icecube

Newly Enlightened
I really do hope this new creation by Peter rocks the flashlight world again like he did with the orginial LS.

But, I must take my dollars elsewhere. >120 bucks for a good flashlight is too much for someone with very little income. I already have planned swapping out my E30 for another one. But I am very excitied about having a small flashlight that could be truely EDC capable without fuss and work well with a compact firearm.

I thought I had a "real" flashlight when I bought a Mag 2D for my car. A Peak Carribean could replace it in a couple of months. :)

However, I do have a lot of faith in your products Peter, if it wasn't for the Arc AAA-P I would still be using an ancient 2xAAA bulb flashlight that eats the batteries within 1 week of decent use. The Arc has lasted a month between changes. A true triumph indeed.

eipioz

Newly Enlightened
Peter,

Of course I (we) don't know what to expect, but I would love to see a modular "turbo head". Just take off the "normal" reflector/optics and screw on a turbo head....

Of course a turbohead is to large to edc but in case you know in advance that you will need it for a particular activity you can just take it with you and use it...

eipioz

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Archangel, it can conceivably use either a TIR or a reflector. Third-party diffusers should fit.

I prefer a reflector to a TIR personally. Smoother beam.

eipioz, one of the modders may make a turbo head. I don't have plans for one in production.

An all-titanium unit is possible. Just no immedate plans for production. I've planned for a conservative roll-out. When the stock unit is proven stable, then we can add more options.

Peter

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the threads are anodized. There is a dedicated electrical path seperate from the threads. The threads were designed to be smooth and resistant to fouling.

Peter

Isak Hawk

Enlightened
nakahoshi said:
Arc-LS PD :naughty:

That's exactly what I was thinking!

Sounds like the stuff of flashoholic dreams to me :grin2:

And anodized threads, it just keeps getting better and better.

Status
Not open for further replies.