The "new" Muyshondt Aeon MKIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's VERY small. Shown here next to a Lumintop Ti Tool

IMG_3325.jpg

Here it is next to the previously shown Ti Tool with 219B emitter. I love the beam out of this little light, but was shocked that it looks almost greenish next to the rosy, beautiful beam from the Aeon's 219B

IMG_3329.jpg

Are both those lights on Medium?
Thanks for all the info, especially the side by side beams and runtime test.
Congrats.

Zandar

Enlightened
I'm with you sensi, I've been following the mark 3 since the first posting, and as usual your "review" pushed me over the top. It's been what, 2 weeks and I'm still carrying it everyday without fail. It rides right in my uniform shirt pocket and I don't even feel it. Absolutely one of the finest lights I've ever owned.

Zandar

Enlightened
Now the real question, well a little OT. Are you interested in the latest, smallest Muyshondt light?

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now the real question, well a little OT. Are you interested in the latest, smallest Muyshondt light?

Interested....but still not certain. I carry a Nitecore Tube on my key ring and the Aeon in my pocket. I'm not sure where the Maus would fit. It's beautiful, awesome and tempting. Not sure....but I'll make up my mind before June 30!

Robone

Newly Enlightened
I'm really close to pulling the trigger on one of these. The thing that's holding me back is the output on high. It seems that the output is closer to 100 lumens than 200. Has anybody tested or retested this ? If it is closer to 100 then I'll start looking at the newer offering instead.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really close to pulling the trigger on one of these. The thing that's holding me back is the output on high. It seems that the output is closer to 100 lumens than 200. Has anybody tested or retested this ? If it is closer to 100 then I'll start looking at the newer offering instead.

I'm interested in this point as well. I know it's not supposed to be a burner but too much under the 180 lumens would be a little disappointing for me. I also recall reading someone saying that runtime on high was 48 minutes? Is that correct?

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm interested in this point as well. I know it's not supposed to be a burner but too much under the 180 lumens would be a little disappointing for me. I also recall reading someone saying that runtime on high was 48 minutes? Is that correct?

Hey guys - I always hesitate on quoting lumen but it is what it is. Mine seems to be around 130 lumen. I'm VERY happy with the output on high. The difference between it and my 200 lumen high cri HDS, while noticeable, is minimal. And the tint and beam quality makes up for it. Enrique quotes emitter lumen - by the time you factor the sapphire lens and the natural loss from other factors, this rating sounds about right. Yes, just under an hour on high. But I got 17 hours on medium, and that's the setting I use the most. Low is ridiculous - I didn't even try to run the battery dead.

This is a light you don't buy for specs alone. I continue to carry it every day because it provides the balance of size, beam quality, run time and pleasing aesthetics that NOTHING else I currently own can beat. Hey, I don't endorse products - I paid $450 for this thing and would be aggravated if it didn't make me happy! YMMV.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
great thread!
I dont have an Aeon, but here is my opinion

If 180 lumen (Ansi) output is important to your needs, stay with CR123 power.

The CR123 has 2x as much power as the CR2,

otoh
The Aeon is 1/3 less total volume than the eagle.

The Aeon is also .42" shorter

You already have Nichia, so the Aeon won't be such a revelation as it would be to someone new to the Nichia experience, otoh, a small light with a Nichia… whats not to love?

If you want a smaller Nichia light, that you are happy to use on Medium or Low most of the time, and have $450 you don't mind parting with… Go For It!

if you want a new Nichia light with 200 lumens, theres always HDS ;-)

fwiw

there are additional ways to get into a small, lightweight light, with a nice Nichia.. for example the Stock Copper Tool. Then you would not have to buy a disposable battery. (for the Aeon). And when bright really matters, I hear great things about the Copper ToolVN3

of course the real answer is get all of them!:)

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
@jon_slider - all really good comments and I agree with you. Lest it seem we are taking this Aeon thread OT, it does all still pertain to the Aeon!
I received the Eagletac yesterday. Impressive little light. I'll enjoy using it from time to time! Compared to the Aeon it is brighter (I read 5/90/244 in my sphere), it allows me to use an RCR 123 (of which I have a huge stable), and it's relatively inexpensive. I also have a copper Tool with the Nichia AND the Ti Tool with the Nichia. Really like them both. Incidentally, on the 2 month old battery my Aeon reads .6/5/120.

I'm going to 'force' myself to carry the Eagletac today just to see what EDC is like with it. But I can tell you already that I prefer to carry the Aeon.

The battery issue is a real study. While the Aeon uses the disposable CR2 batteries, mine has been on the same battery for almost 2 months. Granted, I use it primarily on medium or low. I took the Eagletac with a freshly charged AW RCR this morning and (not a fair comparison) enjoyed using it mostly on low and medium with a few minutes on high. My battery reads 3.85 and will need to be charged. And all the dang blinky modes on the Eagletac aren't useful to me - in fact, they annoy me. They are easy enough to get around, but they still annoy me. And while this same gripe can be applied to the Aeon, the low is just not low enough.

So there's little doubt in my mind that that Aeon will remain my choice for EDC. When I need a brighter light for walking the dog in the wee hours, I might use the D25C, but will like revert back to my favorite, the HDS High CRI. And while I enjoy the Nichia equipped Tools, they spend most of the time in the nightstand.

Everyone is different and has different likes. $450 is a lot of money to spend for a small light, but that's the life of a flashaholic.

Please forgive all the rambling, but I've been struggling to come up with a car analogy. Although this analogy is 'off' because the price variables aren't the same, the performance and build quality analogy kinda makes sense to me. The Eagletac is a Corvette. It's powerful, fun to use and exciting. It's pretty reliable and you enjoy owning and 'driving' it. The Aeon is a Lexus ES350. Not all that fun to drive - not exciting. But really efficient, well made, easy on the eyes and you know it'll work when you 'hit the button.'

:eek:

Edit - Okay - just found the programmable moonlight mode. NOW I'm liking this Eagletac more. The lower low just made it more useful for me.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received the Eagletac yesterday. … I read 5/90/244 in my sphere
my Aeon reads .6/5/120.
Okay - just found the programmable moonlight mode. NOW I'm liking this Eagletac more. The lower low just made it more useful for me.

@run4jc thank you for taking the time to be so thorough and provide specific lumen data. Very useful!

If you get a chance to share the Eagletac modes with moon enabled, I would be curious, since you seem to be able to sphere them. Thanks also for indicating the battery chemistry tested.

For my edc, smaller is better, and I really like that the Aeon does not require LiIon.

I especially appreciate you letting me know the Ansi medium for the Aeon is 5 lumen, not 25.
My tool, olight, and Maratac edc's all have about a 20 lumen medium, which I rely on indoors. Like the Aeon, they also offer what to me is a very useful ~1 lumen low

Yugo vs Cadillac.. LOL!
The taste of quality lingers long after the price is forgotten. :)

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
jon_slider
To keep this thread on topic I'll include the Aeon readings (again). :)

I re-read the Eagletac with a freshly charged AW RCR123. Fascinating.

In the "moonlight" mode:
Low - .3
Medium - 110
High - 265

In the normal mode:
Low - 5
Medium - 110
High - 265

Interesting in that there's no difference in the medium and high settings. I suppose it could be because of the RCR? Dunno. Too lazy to try it with a primary. Maybe sometime

The Aeon - still .6/5/120. Rock solid. Same CR2 has been in it for 2 months.

Hope this helps. I still love the Aeon!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Aeon - still .6/5/120. Rock solid. Same CR2 has been in it for 2 months.

Hope this helps. I still love the Aeon!

thanks, enjoy your Cadillac!

btw, can you confirm there is NoPWM in the Aeon circuit now?

Last edited:

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
More OT, the D25C has 2 mode groups. Group 1, with the head tightened, is turbo and strobe. Group 2, with the head slightly loosened is low, med, high, cycle twice then the blinky modes. If you use a rcr123 then high in group 2 is actually the same as turbo in group 1. If you use a primary then there will be a difference in lumens between high in group 2 and turbo in group 1. I like running mine with a primary since I get them free from work. Dan it sounds like you have yours programmed to the lower sub levels in group 2? Anyway hope that helps.

Back on topic, Dan thank you for your pm today. Sorry i havent had a chance to reply until just now. The comparison really illustrates how small the Aeon is. I have an appreciation for things that are just constructed to the highest standards and I can definitely see an Aeon MK III in my future. :)

Last edited:

Glofindel

Newly Enlightened
This is getting very interesting. I got Aeon since he shipped pre-order and I always have impression that the output seems a bit lower than it claims.

Anyway, I love this light. Perfect size, beautiful beam, well built and gorgeous design.

Agreed with @Jon_slider if the lumen is your thing then stick with CR123.

0a2b65ca89e0cddc9fd86158eb409be0.jpg

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
More OT, the D25C has 2 mode groups. Group 1, with the head tightened, is turbo and strobe. Group 2, with the head slightly loosened is low, med, high, cycle twice then the blinky modes. If you use a rcr123 then high in group 2 is actually the same as turbo in group 1. If you use a primary then there will be a difference in lumens between high in group 2 and turbo in group 1. I like running mine with a primary since I get them free from work. Dan it sounds like you have yours programmed to the lower sub levels in group 2? Anyway hope that helps.

Back on topic, Dan thank you for your pm today. Sorry i havent had a chance to reply until just now. The comparison really illustrates how small the Aeon is. I have an appreciation for things that are just constructed to the highest standards and I can definitely see an Aeon MK III in my future. :)

Yes, the Aeon is an absolutely refined little light - oozes quality. JWR - yes, I 'discovered' those modes when I finally got around to reading the owner's manual! :eek: And I haven't used a primary in mine yet. And the D25C gets warm...even HOT fast, even on medium.

I'm happy to own it, and will enjoy using it in my rotation from time to time, but the Aeon is still going to remain my EDC. So small, so simple, so efficient, and that slightly rosy tint to the beam reminds me of the original high CRI Haiku. Yup, it's a good one for the future!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
due to multiple small lights being discussed recently, I did a quick comparison of volume, chemistry, and lumens

volume cu cmHigh CRIAnsi lumens
illuminex 1018016no8/130
maus N24yes.7/7/40
MBI HF 1025025yes.2/15/50/200/400
maratac AAA28no/yes40/1.5/138
aeon CR235yes.6/5/120
note maratac is not High CRI stock, but the Nichia Tool head is interchageable
note aeon and maus lumens are reported as Ansi (maker reports OTF lumens)

Last edited:

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
note aeon and maus lumens are reported as Ansi (maker reports OTF lumens)[/TD]

No, I have never once stated "OTF Lumens" so far as I can remember.

No one owns a production Maus for you to be quoting any output figures on it, and arbitrarily multiplying my stated outputs by 0.7 seems entirely foolish.

run4jc's tests are interesting and the Aeon must stand on its own merits. The figures I quoted were based on tests provided by my shop at production, and his results have prompted a retest which remains pending since I'm in the middle of the Maus run. Should it come to pass that something what incorrectly calibrated or otherwise, the stated outputs will be corrected and the testing methodology adjusted for future runs.

Enrique

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I have never once stated "OTF Lumens" so far as I can remember.

No one owns a production Maus for you to be quoting any output figures on it, and arbitrarily multiplying my stated outputs by 0.7 seems entirely foolish.

run4jc's tests are interesting and the Aeon must stand on its own merits. The figures I quoted were based on tests provided by my shop at production, and his results have prompted a retest which remains pending since I'm in the middle of the Maus run. Should it come to pass that something what incorrectly calibrated or otherwise, the stated outputs will be corrected and the testing methodology adjusted for future runs.

Enrique

And to all, there are things that have to be considered. My sphere is HOME MADE. I do consider it to be relatively accurate, but it is nonetheless homemade. Quite frankly, I believe that the stated output of the Aeon is most likely dead on accurate for the emitter.

I have no "dog in this hunt" and was quite hesitant to post my readings, but they weren't meant to cast any negatives towards the Aeon or Enrique. My dealings with Enrique have been absolutely perfect, and I consider the Aeon a light that every true flashaholic should consider owning. It is one of my favorite lights ever.

I say this with no reservations - it is, without question, one of the best beams I have ever seen. The tint, shape, consistency - all perfect for my needs. The construction of the light is awesome - the light is a little work of art.

So if my readings have caused anyone to hesitate purchasing an Aeon, don't. I have carried this little bugger every day since receiving it and will continue to carry it. As I've already stated, it is one of my favorite lights ever, and those of you who know me know that there have been quite a few really nice lights pass through my hands.

Sorry, Enrique, if I caused you any problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.