The Official Zebralight Thread .

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think ive read that they are t-5.

Thanks! Can anyone confirm?

Edit: Searching for "zebralight clip screws T-5 torx" revealed this, which includes T-6 Torx screws, and this, which includes T-6 Torx screws, and looks just like the clips I bought, and a Reddit comment by ZapperDubs, "They might be T6 torx, from what I've read,", not all that convincing, but also this etsy sale of T-6 Torx screws for Zebralight.

I would prefer a confident comment from a CPFer that has a Zebralight with the new clip and screws and their own Torx wrench set.

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chilling. I am not sure where you are located.. If in USA take a trip to Big Box or hardware store with ZL in hand and try fitting Torx wrenches into the screw heads
Grab a Torx "key" style, like Bondus mfgr., that has an assortment, just to find out what size

Btw, the size Torx driver is, usually, limited to machine thread size. Sometimes a special oversize head diameter will use a larger size Torx, but more than likely not in your case
Good luck!

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have a set of Torx keys, Raggie33, or are you just eyeballing it?

Thanks knucklegary! I did not consider WalMart, Lowe's or Home Depot, but had thought about going into a hardware store, like Ace... none around here. But I'm 7mi. from the others. That's a decent idea now you spelled it out for me.

Last edited:

SYZYGY

Enlightened
Re: The Official Zebralight Thread

don't be such a tightwad, lol. just buy a nice set of quality torx bits. useful thing to have.

on my SC64w HI, the clip screws are T6.

and no, there are not "english or metric" torx sizes haha

PS: if you're looking for a screwdriver set, i can recommend this one:

TEKTON 2841 Everybit Ratchet Screwdriver, Electronic Repair Kit and Security Bit Set, 135-Piece
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008HYVG6I/?tag=cpf0b6-20

i'm a "tool aficionado" and can make higher end recommendations if you want, but i really like this set and have used it for about 7 years.
and yes, it includes a T6 bit.

the bits are not ultra high end, but they're not poop, either.
i've gotten an acceptable amount of use out of them from a wear perspective.
they will get surface rust over time in humid environments, so oil em up if that bothers you. just like you'd oil any tool.

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
don't be such a tightwad, lol.

I now somehow live on ~$800/month. The only tools I ever bought, owned and used were a little pocket-sized phillips head screwdriver, which is all I used in my career as a systems administrator (sure miss that sweet income), other than a Gerber Dime, which mostly opens boxes for me, and an oil filter wrench and oil pan bolt wrench for my 240.

A full set of Torx keys is not a quality set, and that is all I could afford.

on my SC64w HI, the clip screws are T6.

and no, there are not "english or metric" torx sizes haha

PS: if you're looking for a screwdriver set, i can recommend this one:

TEKTON 2841 Everybit Ratchet Screwdriver, Electronic Repair Kit and Security Bit Set, 135-Piece
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008HYVG6I/?tag=cpf0b6-20

i'm a "tool aficionado" and can make higher end recommendations if you want, but i really like this set and have used it for about 7 years.
and yes, it includes a T6 bit.

the bits are not ultra high end, but they're not poop, either.
i've gotten an acceptable amount of use out of them from a wear perspective.
they will get surface rust over time in humid environments, so oil em up if that bothers you. just like you'd oil any tool.

Thanks for the size confirmation and info. And thanks for the recommendation. Nice set. In 50 years, I have never seen a Torx screw. I'm probably going to pay ~$9 for a single, dedicated T-6 Torx screwdriver, instead.

SYZYGY

Enlightened

I now somehow live on ~$800/month. The only tools I ever bought, owned and used were a little pocket-sized phillips head screwdriver, which is all I used in my career as a systems administrator (sure miss that sweet income), other than a Gerber Dime, which mostly opens boxes for me, and an oil filter wrench and oil pan bolt wrench for my 240.

A full set of Torx keys is not a quality set, and that is all I could afford.

Thanks for the size confirmation and info. And thanks for the recommendation. Nice set. In 50 years, I have never seen a Torx screw. I'm probably going to pay ~$9 for a single, dedicated T-6 Torx screwdriver, instead.

hrm, something seems wrong with buying a single size torx driver to use for one specific application. and perhaps only using it once on top of that.
can't you just borrow a torx driver from a friend or something?

or if you're really desperate, buy one from home depot, use it once (and try to keep it looking brand new), and then return it? that's probably what i'd do, and i'm not ashamed to admit it.

and btw, of the common drive systems, torx is my favorite.
ime, it's the least likely to cam out or get damaged, and it transmits torque well. i wish everything was torx.
https://rtstools.com/why-torx-bolts-are-better-than-hex-bolts/

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not a single application. There are 4 clips, 2 screws per clip... so there are 16 applications, so ~56¢ for each 8 unscrews and each 8 screws. That's way cheaper than my first intention, which was to use a jeweler. And I may still get more use out of it. It's not that bad. The clips cost together $100, the lights $264, and I'll have spent about $100 on cells. I know how deep I'm in.

archimedes

Flashaholic
So @chillinn if you have a CONUS address, I may have a "Benchmade Blue Box Torx Kit" which I will send you free, as long as I can find it.

The bits are not of great quality and in fact one of them has already broken, but it originally included (2x ea) T6, T8, and T10.

The design does not allow for putting much torque on the bits, but if used carefully, it should do what you need. PM if interested.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i live on about the same chillin but ive found tools always i mean always pay for them selfs

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
archimedes, that is typically beneficent of you, and very generous also, thank you. Understand it is the thought that counts! Honestly, I am looking forward to owning a handled Torx T-6 screwdriver. This won't be the last time I use it. I have designs on squandering at least 30 percent of my monthly income on lights and cells in October. jon_slider has seen the list. One of them needs a clip (so I'll get a tiny baggie of T-6 screws and little nuts to go with them), and one of them is going to need a clip replacement, but I am waiting to see both before I hunt for new pocket clips. I am going to adopt the T-6 Torx screw as standard on any future clip replacements. The October list is too long, only the top 4-6 items will make it, so the rest of the list, that absolutely can wait, will be for November and December.

Reminds me to ask, is it remotely possible to get AliExpress to ship Li-ion to the US? 8x Vapcell INR14500 H10 10A made the bottom of the list. How did Li-ion Wholesaler ever get them if it is illegal to import Li-ion?

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just planning on getting the one T-6 screwdriver, not a set. I know this is making tool lovers cringe. I only have about 25 lights. I am a minimalist.

Latest posts