The Official Zebralight Thread .

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
It just occurred to me...I should have placed two separate orders!!! Now I have to wait for the backordered item to come in before I get the one that is currently in stock.

Yeah, this weekend I did separate orders. Learned that waiting for other things at ZL before. Just cancel and place separately. They usually get back with a cancel within 24 hours.

markr6

Flashaholic
Yeah, this weekend I did separate orders. Learned that waiting for other things at ZL before. Just cancel and place separately. They usually get back with a cancel within 24 hours.

I would, but I think I bug them enough. I'll put to work the very little patience I have :)

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I was running my light on H1 then I'd agree with you, but since I was running my H52w on the lowest H2 setting (108 lumens), I don't think the thermal regulation would ever need to kick in whether in warmer or colder temps. I think at 108 lumens the ZL H52w just runs at that output constantly without the need for temperature regulation (I could be wrong I guess.) Thanks for your other input.

IIRC, it doesn't have any temperature regulation at all, unless you put a 14500 in it. Then, it will step down after 1 minute (a timed step-down, regardless of temperature).

IMO, I think those 1-minute step-downs are a bit too aggressive. Even on that small light, it's only getting warm after 1 minute. They could have gone 2 minutes, or perhaps even 3 minutes (like the SC5 series).

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well crap...I just discovered 2 big flaws in my new SC600w Mk IV HI.

1. When I go from G5 to G6 & back to G5, only one of my medium modes works. For instance, I cannot go from M1 to M2 or M2 to M1. The light is stuck in whatever medium mode I left it in last. So when I go back into G6, all of those modes may work just fine. When I go into G7 medium modes may or may not be working. If I cycle from G5 to G6 to G7, I am seeing this problem effecting all 3 groups or sometimes just one of the groups. I can duplicate the problem every time now by going from G5 to G6 & back to G5. Every time medium quits working properly. As I cycle around sometimes it starts working again & other times it doesn't. I sent Zebralight an RMA for this light dang it.

2. As I have been experimenting with this light it has now cut out by itself when in H1 three times. The light just turns off & won't come back on for a second or so. This is the same problem I have been having with my older SC600w Mk III HI (which I've now returned 3 times and am waiting on a replacement.)

I hope ZL isn't having some underlying QC issues with their SC600 lights - I sure love the HI lights and the new UI. I'd like to hear back from folks to see if anyone else is seeing the UI problem that I've been seeing or the problem with the light cutting out like markr6 & I have seen.

Connor

Enlightened
1. When I go from G5 to G6 & back to G5, only one of my medium modes works. For instance, I cannot go from M1 to M2 or M2 to M1. The light is stuck in whatever medium mode I left it in last. So when I go back into G6, all of those modes may work just fine. When I go into G7 medium modes may or may not be working. If I cycle from G5 to G6 to G7, I am seeing this problem effecting all 3 groups or sometimes just one of the groups. I can duplicate the problem every time now by going from G5 to G6 & back to G5. Every time medium quits working properly. As I cycle around sometimes it starts working again & other times it doesn't. I sent Zebralight an RMA for this light dang it.

I've experienced something similar after programming G6/G7 on my SC600Fd Mk4 Plus, couldn't switch between H1/H2 anymore and sometimes this "moved" from G6 to G5 like in your case. I think I found the reason for it: when you are in the free programming mode in G6/G7 and double click a few times after already having reached the highest level, the behaviour you mentioned is triggered reliably. I reported this to ZL.

BTW: resetting G6/G7 and not moving beyond the highest level while programming fixed it in my case. Seems like a simple arithmetic overflow error to me. Not a dealbreaker (for me) but shouldn't have slipped through quality control.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've experienced something similar after programming G6/G7 on my SC600Fd Mk4 Plus, couldn't switch between H1/H2 anymore and sometimes this "moved" from G6 to G5 like in your case. I think I found the reason for it: when you are in the free programming mode in G6/G7 and double click a few times after already having reached the highest level, the behaviour you mentioned is triggered reliably. I reported this to ZL.

BTW: resetting G6/G7 and not moving beyond the highest level while programming fixed it in my case. Seems like a simple arithmetic overflow error to me. Not a dealbreaker (for me) but shouldn't have slipped through quality control.

Thanks Connor. I just tried what you suggested but no luck fixing my problem. I still cannot switch between M1 & M2 in the G5 group (at the moment.) Btw, while I was attempting to reprogram my H1 in both G6 & G7 my light just cut out on me making that the 4th time it's done that. My battery is fully charged, so that's not it. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. My problem with the UI is similar to yours but my medium M1 & M2 are what's affected. This light is sadly going BACK!! Also, sadly I have an H600w Mk IV and an SC64w on order. I hope this problem doesn't show up in those lights or I'm giving up for a while until the problem is fixed. My older Zebralights works just fine and are still my favorites BY FAR.

Connor

Enlightened
Ya, your light seems to have additional issues, no doubt. ZL will take care of you.
New driver and new firmware for the microcontroller .. seems they didn't check closely enough for new bugs and new problems.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Day 32 waiting on Mk IV....ZL just told me it will be three more weeks to complete the current batch underway of the IV. This is of course perfectly fine. I have come to the conclusion that near any ZL are the best urban EDC lights of all time. The amount of sophisticated technology packed into these such small feature rich lights is amazing. Soooo....if I am not back posting about my awesome new IV in 21 days.....tell....Nitecore....their new ....SRT7GT.....blows.....(cue the Police's "Message in a Bottle")

HaloLED

Newly Enlightened

2. As I have been experimenting with this light it has now cut out by itself when in H1 three times. The light just turns off & won't come back on for a second or so. This is the same problem I have been having with my older SC600w Mk III HI (which I've now returned 3 times and am waiting on a replacement.)

I hope ZL isn't having some underlying QC issues with their SC600 lights - I sure love the HI lights and the new UI. I'd like to hear back from folks to see if anyone else is seeing the UI problem that I've been seeing or the problem with the light cutting out like markr6 & I have seen.

My SC600w Mk IV HI just randomly quit working one day. I was using it on medium settings and after I had turned it off it would not turn on again. It was not frequently used. I sent it back for repair and it was about 10 weeks before it came back.
I have a 50.2 version on backorder. The SC600w malfunction just reinforces my two is one - one is none philosophy where electronics are concerned. I suppose a light like the SC600 could be made much more reliable but its size would increase and I wouldn't be able to afford it.

JoeRodge

Newly Enlightened
I just swapped the battery on my SC600w Mk IV Plus when I stepped into my car just now. I might be going crazy but my positive terminal totally looks slightly concave, in a circle(pushed down in the same shape as the pogopin plscements.. I've heard previous generations having this issue. It doesn't look real bad but it's on both 18650s provided by Zebralight, the GA's. I'm getting a few more on Teusdays. I'm gonna compare them.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just swapped the battery on my SC600w Mk IV Plus when I stepped into my car just now. I might be going crazy but my positive terminal totally looks slightly concave, in a circle(pushed down in the same shape as the pogopin plscements.. I've heard previous generations having this issue. It doesn't look real bad but it's on both 18650s provided by Zebralight, the GA's. I'm getting a few more on Teusdays. I'm gonna compare them.

Did you drop the light at all or expose it to any shock? If not, your cell may have just been a little longer then the tolerances allow(the tolerances are very tight unfortunately).

These new MKIV's are going to be better then the MKIII's due to the force being dispersed between more pins and around the perimeter of the terminal but, if a hard enough shock or drop happens they will still dent cells. My 64c dented a cell the other day when I dropped it on a hard surface but, up until that point the cells were fine.

These pogo pins just don't offer any give once fully compressed and the flat top cells positive terminals are pretty weak and prone to denting(unlike button tops which are much stronger). These lights will never protect batteries as well as a duel spring design will but, it is a trade off for a smaller light and easier tailcap installation and removal. It should also be noted that even many duel spring designs will dent flat top cells with enough shock. Malkoff's will dent flat top cells, for instance, if dropped hard enough.

The only thing you can really do if you want added protection is use an O-ring to help cushion the positive terminal. And, of course, don't drop the light if you can help it(I can't apparently and now my nice new light has a ding in it along with my brand new VTC6 lol:banghead:).

Last edited:

Dio

Newly Enlightened
My SC600w Mk IV HI just randomly quit working one day. I was using it on medium settings and after I had turned it off it would not turn on again. It was not frequently used. I sent it back for repair and it was about 10 weeks before it came back.
I have a 50.2 version on backorder. The SC600w malfunction just reinforces my two is one - one is none philosophy where electronics are concerned. I suppose a light like the SC600 could be made much more reliable but its size would increase and I wouldn't be able to afford it.

Do you mean the SC600w III HI? The IV HI hasn't even been out long enough for your 10 week wait to make sense is all...

gunga

Flashaholic
Can anyone comment on the moonlight mode on the sc64c? I've read they are much higher than previous generation lights but would like real world impressionms.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone comment on the moonlight mode on the sc64c? I've read they are much higher than previous generation lights but would like real world impressionms.

I can, what would you like to know specifically? I have the SC600w MKIV Plus, H600Fc MKIII, H600Fd MKIII, and H502c L2 to compare it to. I also have an SC64w on order.

Last edited:

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you drop the light at all or expose it to any shock? If not, your cell may have just been a little longer then the tolerances allow(the tolerances are very tight unfortunately).

These new MKIV's are going to be better then the MKIII's due to the force being dispersed between more pins and around the perimeter of the terminal but, if a hard enough shock or drop happens they will still dent cells. My 64c dented a cell the other day when I dropped it on a hard surface but, up until that point the cells were fine.

These pogo pins just don't offer any give once fully compressed and the flat top cells positive terminals are pretty weak and prone to denting(unlike button tops which are much stronger). These lights will never protect batteries as well as a duel spring design will but, it is a trade off for a smaller light and easier tailcap installation and removal. It should also be noted that even many duel spring designs will dent flat top cells with enough shock. Malkoff's will dent flat top cells, for instance, if dropped hard enough.

The only thing you can really do if you want added protection is use an O-ring to help cushion the positive terminal. And, of course, don't drop the light if you can help it(I can't apparently and now my nice new light has a ding in it along with my brand new VTC6 lol:banghead:).

I have 2 GA cells, both dented in dual spring lights, in which the springs have room to flex. Just like the new pogo pin pattern, the end of the positive spring needs to be wide enough to distribute the impulse. Otherwise, dual springs perform no better than these pogo pins in practice.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast

Did you have to pay shipping for all 3 times you had to return it?
I think it's ridiculous the customer has to pay for shipping back a defective light.
More ridiculous you had to do that multiple times.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 GA cells, both dented in dual spring lights, in which the springs have room to flex. Just like the new pogo pin pattern, the end of the positive spring needs to be wide enough to distribute the impulse. Otherwise, dual springs perform no better than these pogo pins in practice.

I too have cells that have been dented in duel spring lights. I think the real problem is flat top cells. The positive terminal is just too weak and is easily dented. You can feel how soft it is when you straighten a bent one out. If the cell manufacturers would just make them stronger I bet the problem would go away.

Either way, it is no big deal. They usually still make contact just fine and even if they don't a small screwdriver or mini needle nose pliers and a bit of careful prying will quickly fix the problem.

Last edited:

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too have cells that have been dented in duel spring lights. I think the real problem is flat top cells. The positive terminal is just too weak and is easily dented. You can feel how soft it is when you straighten a bent one out. If the cell manufacturers would just make them stronger I bet the problem would go away.

Either way, it is no big deal. They usually still make contact just fine and even if they don't a small screwdriver or mini needle nose pliers and a bit of careful prying will quickly fix the problem.

I've since tossed the 2 cells. They were so dented, I wasn't sure that the the metal wasn't close to making contact with the vent below it.

Latest posts