The "one battery type" theory

The "one battery type" concept is:

• Perfect, I don't have to worry about anything

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Great, but I still want to stick to my CR123 batteries for my primary flashlight

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Why not, but I'll have to buy a new AA flashlight

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • No, CR123 flashlights are the best. I've chosen power over versatility

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • I have SEVERALl flashlights and my backup flashlights works with AA batteries

Votes: 25 53.2%

• Total voters

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
one battery is a very simple, maybe overly simple solution.

dragosios, I like that your system while pretty modest is still more than enough to recharge hand held batteries with winter sun. I've been meaning to get a basic solar panel and charger set up.

Last edited:

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a AA-based guy too...

I've EDC'd an emergency phone chargers for few years and carry this iGo for my iPhone in my pants pocket. As mentioned above, I've also have been testing the Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus, and it has enough juice to charge an iPad, or pretty much anything else USB powered. Although it seems to have the same 1000 mah output your Tekkeon has, the GZ also doubles a nice USB travel charger for AAs.

I like the looks of both of those chargers. The Tekkeon can charge NiMH batteries too...nice. It works well & can charge my droid to a 100% with 4 of my 2500 mah X eneloops.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
Battery availability in an emergency is a logical paradox but a simple economic conclusion.

Here is a re-post of a post I made on another board:

Almost all my lights are now CR123-based.

For dense output they are almost unmatched in the primary cell category.

For price, yes they can be expensive.

For emergencies, it contradicts popular belief that they'll be 'hard to find'. No, they will not be hard to find. Chances are very few people in your area are using CR123 cells. All those camera stores will be pillaged in a big disaster, but not for the batteries. People will be taking cameras and digital stuff, not the batteries in the box in the back room or the ones hanging on the wall.

Big supermarkets, people will run in and grab AA, AAA, C, and D cells. Why would they take CR123 cells, none of their lights takes them and "theyre camera batteries". No one runs out to get camera batteries in an emergency, they grab the batteries for their lights. AA, C and D cell.

So, while they aren't as common as AA cells, theres a reason why AA cells are so common. Everyone uses them. Almost everyone has AAA or AA flashlight in their house. Very very few people use CR123 beyond camera use, and even then its not very common.

In a ****, I am willing to bet big money that you will be able to find CR123 LONG after the last AA batteries disappear ... Demand is simply MUCH lower, but supply is enough that YOU will always have enough if you know where to look. Camera stores, gas stations, electronics stores, etc. People go to those places not for batteries, and if they take batteries they wont take the small 'funny looking' ones.

And the next post of mine:

I would also hedge my stock by having a supply of AA. Why? In a long-term emergency, AA batteries will have very high barter value, just like Bic lighters.

For AA batteries, demand is high and supply will become low. That is a good market to be on the dealing end of.

For CR123 batteries, demand is low and supply is enough. That is a good market to be on the needing end of, in an emergency.

I know that if a BIG **** is on the horizon, while the masses are fighting for the last AA battery in the supermarket, I will be calmly walking into the camera store and buying out their CR123 batteries, then calmly going to the gas station and buying all their Bic lighters.

People will be looting the camera shop for the expensive cameras, not the batteries.

People will be looting the gas station for edibles, smokes and gas, not the bic lighters.

I also have a **** map, homemade as of last year, with the location of all the important warehouses. All the wholesalers, importers and distributors of Bic lighters, batteries, and other usefuls. I know where they are located in my area. In a major emergency, I'd keep an eye on them and as soon as the owners/operators abandon the place to tend to their family, I will be in there scavenging.

Morally correct? Probably not, but therein is a gray area as to when the people who own (not employees or managers) these warehouses are not there to claim them. People who work in the warehouse? They have no more of a right to the products than I do. If the owner of said warehouse full of batteries is on the other side of the country (or in another country!!!) then sorry but if it looks like society won't be coming back online for awhile then sorry but, finders keepers.

A room full of batteries, lighters, and bullets in a prolonged and sustained **** will make you a wealthy man.

--

Just wanted to demonstrate that CR123 batteries are not necessarily going to be a bad choice for ****.

And the last post of mine on the subject:

I suppose thats situational requirements ...

If I was operating out of a FOB in Afghanistan and all they had in the PX was AA batteries, it would be kinda stupid to be using a CR123 light.

For home use, where I'm not complying with operational requirements, here is my suggestion:

- Have your primary light (the one with the most batteries stored) be one with low-demand primary batteries, such as CR123.

- Have secondary lights that can use all the other common batteries; AA, AAA, C, D, 9V, those big square batteries, even CR2 and button cells.

- Stock up on AA and D cell batteries for barter, high-value batteries. Not the best quality like Duracell Ultra, not el cheapo batteries, but ones right on the apex of the value per $ curve. Energizers or something else respectable but not too expensive. Not lithiums. Not rechargeables. You can trade/barter these for anything else you happen to need in a disaster.

- When the "sky starts to fall", go out and begin purchasing enough CR123, AA and D cells to last. As part of your lighting systems, I'd keep at least $100 in cash on hand in small denomination bills to use on those last-minute purchases. Theres some wisdom in just using the $100 now, but who knows you may need the cash for some other emergency before then.

- For regular use, doesn't really matter, use whatever you like.

Last edited: