The Quark lights thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwanon13

Newly Enlightened
I bought the AA and have been wondering, what about the 123 w/clip head on the AA tube? I think the clip will land just where the tube steps-up to the tailcap (can anyone confirm this?). This will yield a QAA with a deeper bezel-up carry and a Q123 with no logos on it, anywhere, using the AA head. Okay, I can't resist... :paypal:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Quark 123 saw a lot of action today. I went for a 7 mile walk pushing my kids in their dual jogging stroller. It got dark towards the end of the trip and I was on a walking path that cuts through the woods. The Quark easily light up the path and well into the woods. Here is a link to a pic of the Quark shinning into the brush on the side of the path while it's still light outside:

http://twitpic.com/7icsl

Once I got home and got the kids to bed it was completely dark out. My kid needs worms to take into school for one reason or another. So I went out to the yard and used the Quark on low (one up from moon mode) to find night crawlers and other worms. After I got a bunch of works the Quark was a little "wormy" as I had to use two hands at times to wrestle those night crawlers out of the ground. :) So the Quark got a bubble bath when I got back inside. Then it was off to the flashlight lab to get a fresh R123 installed and the partially used one went on the charger to top it off.

Flailing Junk

Newly Enlightened
Trustfire greys are a bit to long for the 2x123 version. If i screw in the tail cap all the way it gets "stuck" moonlight mode level. It will strobe and sos and all that, but in moonlight brightness.

jblackwood

Enlightened
Here are two things I hope no one has mentioned yet and if they have, sorry I guess I should have used the search:

1. The tailcap's threads aren't anodized like fenix so there's no possiblity of tailcap lockout by unscrewing just a bit. That being the case, I'm glad the button is hard to mash.

2. Has anyone else noticed that there are two nice, longish holes in the tailcap that are just BEGGING for trits? Between the low low, the body-colored clip, strobe (which I love), and now the possibility of trits I think I've found the replacement for my Nitecore D10's!

Tailstanding is imperative to me since it's the easiest way to light a room during a power outage (here in hurricane country). That's why I got the QAA. The tint is so nice, though. I have two D10's that I got from 4sevens. The first one made a whine so loud I couldn't stand it. Returned it. The second one had a pretty ugly greenish tint but I kept it because there was no whine and I really like the Piston Drive and UI. My second D10 (GDP) was a blueish tint but (thankfully) didn't whine at me. Being a musician, I guess it bothers me more than most. That being said, the tint on my QAA is so nice! It's neutral, not warm by any stretch, but it's not green OR blue at all! I was so relieved since 4sevens sent me an LD10 I had ordered for my mom and it was bluer than my Nitecore D10 GDP! I couldn't believe it.

I will miss being able to access the low modes with one hand, but that's the only drawback I can see.

:cool:

wild68fury

Newly Enlightened
Quark 123 x2 first impressions.

Just received my Quark 1232.
I am comparing this to my Fenix P3D RB100 that I EDC.

The R2 LED is noticeably brighter. Beam is flawless. Similar to the Fenix in color and shape.

I really like the square cut threads. Threads are clean, smooth and have some lube.

The knurling is just right. Easy to grip and pull out of my Maxpedition holster with just two fingers. I had to put an innertube on the Fenix.

The removable clip is great. Using it head down now, but I could flip the barrel around and carry it head up or remove the clip altogether and you would never know it had one.

I will try to get some pictures up unless someone beats me to it. What would you like to see?

Sorry no pictures. Burned it up. I was using the primaries that came with it (measured at 3.16 and 3.15) and when I got to work, I put in the Tenergy RCR 3.0 volt batteries (measured at 3.96 and 4.00). No problems thus far. I also purchased 4 AW 3.7 volt RCR's at the same time I purchased the Quark. After charging and letting them rest for an hour, they measured 4.13 and 4.14. I installed these and found them to be 1 mm longer than the Tenergy batteries. In order to to get high to work, I had to loosen the tail cap so the head would screw on tight. This worked for a while and then the light turned off. I thought it was the batteries so I tried the Tenergy's and the primaries, no luck. I will send 4sevens an email and I am sure he will send me a new one.

Last edited:

strinq

Enlightened
Re: Quark 123 x2 first impressions.

Ouch, not a very good first impression.
But might be a simple flaw. Did you go through all the 'steps' such as cleaning the threads and all that after discovering that it won't turn on?

wild68fury

Newly Enlightened
Re: Quark 123 x2 first impressions.

Ouch, not a very good first impression.
But might be a simple flaw. Did you go through all the 'steps' such as cleaning the threads and all that after discovering that it won't turn on?

I did check the threads. I did apply a little too much Nyogel at first but it had been working for about 4 hours before it stopped working.

mar3

Newly Enlightened
I could not resist ... and replaced emiter in my Quark 1AA :whistle:

from r2 wc to r2 wg :grin2:

now tint is perfect, no blue shades !! i love this light :twothumbs

Status
Not open for further replies.