The Quark lights thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

travelinman

Enlightened
Is it just me or does the name "quark" seem... well... odd. ? Does it have some meaning ? Non-American translation.. Anything. ? :shrug:

Since no one answered you yet, Quarks are the building blocks from which protons and neutrons are built. They come in 6 different types (maybe we will see 6 different flashlights :twothumbs).

The other interesting thing is that quarks have "evil twin" opposites called "antiquarks". I wonder what flashlights will correspond to the antiquarks of the quarks? (the flashlight quarks I mean)

confused yet?????

Norm

Retired Administrator
Is it just me or does the name "quark" seem... well... odd. ? Does it have some meaning ? Non-American translation.. Anything. ? :shrug:
Sounds to me light the sound a crow makes :nana:
I don't think it sounds like a flashlight it needs to have a name that includes the suffix "Fire" to be taken seriously. :sssh: maybe QuarkFire or 4 7sFire :eek: OK enough stupid comments from me.

Norm

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark sounds Quarky but then again .... Qip's Quark sounds about right :nana:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quarks are simply the building bocks of all baryonic matter. Small, fundamental, pieces of nature.

Or else 4Sevens has suddenly become a Ferengi.

Zendude

Enlightened
Reasons I can think of:

- Reversible/removable clip
- Sapphire AR coated lens (no more scratched up lens!)
- Square threading (far more resistant to wear and cross-threading)
- Multiple, sensibly spaced light levels without PWM for max efficiency and no visible modulation
- Available neutral tint
- Can run 14500 for increased output without issues (LD10 will overheat and lose low levels, NDI doesn't gain much with 14500)
- XP-E emitter for smooth artifact free beam
- Lots of knurling but no crazy strike bezel to cut through your pockets
- Emitter guaranteed to be centered

And has been stated before. Quark lights are rated OTF lumens while D10 and LD10 are not. So you are falling victim to marketing by directly comparing their lumen ratings.

I thought it did use PWM.

The LD10 won't necessarily overheat with 14500 its just that the driver wasn't designed for that high a voltage.

jim7777777

Newly Enlightened
Would an Energiser Lithium AA provide greater output than a regular AA? Or is it the extra voltage of Li-Ion that gives the brighter output?

kevinm

Enlightened
David, it looks good!

Now, about that headlamp that we've all been wanting for a LONG time...any plans to make the head of this light fit on a bracket with battery pack?:whistle:

Kevin

Tohuwabohu

Newly Enlightened
In Germany the word Quark is used for a sort of fresh cheese/curd cheese.
"Red' keinen Quark" also means "Don't talk nonsense".
Quark as a name for a flashlight seems very odd to me.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will just call it a 4sevens if someone ask.

Does anyone know if they will come with a holster. It seems it will fit a P3D holster good if not.

I like the UI alot, half press instead of click to next mode.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
It's got a locator beacon!
What are these emitters going to be Wc, WG, WH?
If I can get an R2 WH I wouldn't wait on the warmer versions.

Anyone know?

Last edited:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
"The other interesting thing is that quarks have "evil twin" opposites called "antiquarks". I wonder what flashlights will correspond to the antiquarks of the quarks? (the flashlight quarks I mean)"

The antiquarks will be sold by several vendors overseas....:whistle::poke::crackup:...if ya know ut I mean Vern........

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will just call it a 4sevens if someone ask.

Does anyone know if they will come with a holster. It seems it will fit a P3D holster good if not.

I like the UI alot, half press instead of click to next mode.

Holster, neck lanyard and a original way to attach it included.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
In all seriousness, the 2 AA version of this light looks very good. I will have to keep an eye on 4 Sevens web page.

oldpal

Enlightened

As Lewis Grizzard said about nekkid:nana:, "It just makes you feel qood to say it." Quarks are fractionally charged subatomic particles. Other particles (hadrons) are made from quarks. Sorry you asked aren't you!

Hugh

Budman231

Enlightened
As Lewis Grizzard said about nekkid:nana:, "It just makes you feel qood to say it." Quarks are fractionally charged subatomic particles. Other particles (hadrons) are made from quarks. Sorry you asked aren't you!

Hugh

Thanks to all that replied. This transported me back to college physics class.

Still a strange name for a flashlight... Understand the relevance though.

Bud

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to purchase a AA Quark from 4 7's but playing devil's advocate, if I may, why not purchase a NDI or a Fenix LD Q5 when the lumens are 120 vs. 90. (Just for the record, I am the owner of BOTH the above mentioned, and then some).:candle:

And here I was thinking these 4sevens light are just gonna kill Fenix sales. Basically the same UI, better mode spacing, plus the clip, LiIon support and low low everybody has been asking for all at a slightly lower price! :twothumbs

But ya I guess their are a few suckers that will always fall for the lights with higher "claimed" lumens.:p

But all in all I'm not a huge fan of Fenix type UI, so will pass on these Quarks.
If you want to go from High to Med you need to either scroll through SOS, Beacon, Moonlight and Low, or turn the light off for 3 seconds then back on at Moonlight and scroll through Low to get to Med.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
And here I was thinking these 4sevens light are just gonna kill Fenix sales. Basically the same UI, better mode spacing, plus the clip, LiIon support and low low everybody has been asking for all at a slightly lower price! :twothumbs

But ya I guess their are a few suckers that will always fall for the lights with higher "claimed" lumens.:p

But all in all I'm not a huge fan of Fenix type UI, so will pass on these Quarks.
If you want to go from High to Med you need to either scroll through SOS, Beacon, Moonlight and Low, or turn the light off for 3 seconds then back on at Moonlight and scroll through Low to get to Med.

Hmm...would you be happy if it only had two levels...high and....whatever you want?

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast

you forgot the "knurling" hehe thats what ive been wanting a fenix circuit in a nitecore knurled type body

Status
Not open for further replies.