The RaidFire Spear. Beamshots, Runtime & more!

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
This review sample was provided to me free of charge, courtesy of EDGE TAC, for review purposes. I was approached by EDGE TAC who asked if I could do a review of their product, after some consideration I accepted.
Some notes and caveats about my review. I made a selection of lights to compare the Spear with, it means I did choose those lights I perceive as it's main competiton (from the lights I happen to have). I also selected a few other lights to provide a broader scale on which I could try to show the Spear's capabilities. I'm just an ordinary person and I don't own every conceivable new throw light on the market, but I do have a fair selection of high performance led throwers. I think these will provide enough information. So please don't ask me to compare the Spear to lights I don't own or have access to. If you want me to compare it to a light I don't own, feel free to send that light to me. The fact that my outdoor beamshots are taken with 8 second exposures is a meaningless fact, other cameras might provide similar exposures with shorter exposure times etc., it's more likely that the camera software play a bigger role concerning night shots. The most important point is this: It's very difficult to tell these powerful throwers apart when it comes to throw capability. They are within 10 000 Lux of each other in throw, the most powerful approach (or break) the 30 000 Lux barrier. To the naked eye it's difficult to see a difference between a light that throws 19 000 Lux or another that throws 25 000. The whole throw king debate is a bit pointless, all these lights (Spear, Tiablo A8/9, DBS & MRV) are high performance throwers and some are slightly more powerful. Other factors are more important to me than this weeks highest Lux count; good ergonomics, build quality, finish etc. All LiION cells used in this review come from AW.

Here it is in the box. A very good manual is included, two spare o-rings, one spare rubber boot for the clicky switch and a warranty card.

raid1.jpg

Different angles/sides of the Spear.

raid2.jpg

raid3.jpg

raid4.jpg

Broken down in the main components. The head doesn't separate from the light engine part, it seems to be glued. The lanyard hole in the tailcap is chamfered.

raid5.jpg

The top end of the battery tube. Very good machining and finish. When screwed down tight the tube touches the driver in the head and the light is on high. A slight counter clockwise turn and contact is broken = low level. The top end threads are coated. Lower end threads are anodized to facilitate lockout by loosening the tailcap a bit. The tube is anodized on the inside surface.

raid6.jpg

The tailcap disassembled. The switch module is brass and seem to be of very high quality. It's not possible to disassemble more than this. The part of the spring touching the battery was rough on my sample and it scratched the 18650 cell. I took some very fine sanding sponge to it and now it's very smooth.

raid7.jpg

Other side of the clicky switch.

raid8.jpg

To access the lens and reflector screw out the lens retaining ring over the lens, then use the holes in the head to push out the reflector. A note on changing reflectors/disassemling the reflector from the head: It's important to make sure the lens retaining ring is screwed down all the way as it will affect throw and hotspot size if it isn't fully tightened. If you leave the retaining ring a tad 'untightened' the hotspot will be a bit bigger and throw decreases.

raid9.jpg

raid10.jpg

Looking down into the head at the driver and battery spring. Very good workmanship and fit/finish. On low level the driver emits a very very low high pitched tone, I have to hold the light to my ear to hear it.

raid11.jpg

The head disassembled. Lift/shake out the lens and remove the o-ring between the lens and reflector. The reflector can be lifted by using the holes in the head, push it upwards.

DSC05764.jpg

The reflector with the two o-rings for waterproofing.

DSC05750.jpg

Inner diameter is 36 mm and depth is 38 mm. Tiablo A9 has 36 mm deep reflectors and MRV 32 mm.

DSC05753.jpg

DSC05756.jpg

The massive 3 mm thick lens. Diameter of the lens, measured at ten points around the circumference, is between 40.05 mm to 40.14 mm at the widest point.

DSC05759.jpg

Looking down into the head at the brass light pill. It unscrews by using long tweezers/a pointed pair of scissors or pliers.

DSC05762.jpg

The heavy brass pill/light engine. This makes it easy to upgrade the Spear with new emitter pills or just modding the existing pill with new emitters and/or drivers. Diameter of the pill over the threads is 21.90 mm. As a comparison a D26 dropin pill is ~19.8 mm. So it's considerably larger than the standard D26 led drop in pills.

DSC05765.jpg

DSC05768.jpg

DSC05769.jpg

Some pictures of detail work, very nice finish/fit and machining on this light.

raid12.jpg

raid13.jpg

raid14.jpg

Here with it's smaller sibling, the Nitecore DI.

raid15.jpg

A size comparison with some common objects.

raid16.jpg

I have no problems operating the Spear with or without gloves. But I have big hands, size 12 in gloves. With smaller hands I think it would be harder with the flared tailcap.

raid17.jpg

raid18.jpg

EDGE TAC's features and Spec's from the original sales thread.

It can be found here:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=171684

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Features:
Designed and tasked for Self-Defense and Law Enforcement use;
CREE Q5 WC high efficiency LED (Light Emitting Diode);
Maximum Output 250 lumens; about 22000Lux at 1M;
Two preset brightness output levels, can be switched easily through rotating the light bezel;
Compact size and light weight, suitable for EDC (Every day carry);
Patented ThermoflowTM heat sinking design;
Excellent high-efficiency circuit;
Prominent runtime;
Tactical forward clicky switch;
Super light-gathering metal reflector;
Impact-resistant optical lens with Dual-CoatingTM technique;
Made from rugged military grade aluminum alloy;
Mil-Spec Type III Hard Anodized finish in Black;
Impact Resistance to drop tests in accordance to US MIL-STD-810F;
Waterproof to IPX-8 standard;
Optional Accessories: Tactical Remote Tailcap Switch and Weapon Mount.

Specification

Dimension:
Bezel Diameter: 45mm
Body Diameter: 25.4mm
Tail Diameter 36mm
Overall Length: 158mm
Weight: 203 g (without battery)
Battery: powered by one 2400mAH 18650 Li-ion battery;

Output & Runtime
Maximum Output 250 lumens, for about 110 minutes (with brightness declines to 50%)
Minimum Output 5 lumens, for about 200 hours (with brightness declines to 50%)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

White wall beamshots.

All shots at 0.5 meter. f/2.8, ISO 100, white balance on daylight/sunlight, 0 EV. Exposure time 1/80 sec for the bright shoths and 1/800 sec for the underexposed.

First the beam distribution on high level, 1/80 sec.

RaidHigh.jpg

Beam distribution on low level, 1/80 sec.

RaidLow.jpg

Spear and Tiablo A9 on RCR123.

1RaidA91.jpg

1RaidA92.jpg

Spear and Tiablo A9 on 18650 LiION.

2RaidA91_18650.jpg

2RaidA92_18650.jpg

Spear and MRV on RCR123.

1RaidMRV1.jpg

1RaidMRV2.jpg

Spear and MRV on 18650 LiION.

2RaidMRV1_18650.jpg

2RaidMRV2_18650.jpg

Outdoor beamshots at 50 and 95 metres.

The lights used for the outdoor beamshots.

listan1.jpg

listan2.jpg

Number one, RaidFire Spear. CREE Q5 WC. Stock version. 24 600 Lux in throw at one metre on high. one AW 18650 LiION cell.
Number two, Tiablo A9 stock version CREE Q5 WC. 21 700 Lux in throw at one metre with two AW RCR123 LiION cells. 16 820 Lux in throw at one metre with one AW 18650 LiION cell.
Number three, MRV with CREE Q5 WG, stock driver. 19 350 Lux in throw at one metre with two AW RCR123 LiION cells. 14 720 Lux in throw at one metre with one AW 18650 LiION cell.
Number four, Tiablo A8 modded. CREE Q5 WG, FluPic at burst 1200 mA, UCL-type lens. 30 380 Lux in throw at one metre with one AW 18650 LiION cell.
Number five, 3D M*g with SSC P4 USOXH and three mode driver with max at 1200 mA. UCL lens. 22 010 Lux in throw at one metre with NiMH cells.

Reference shots of the first setting, 50 metres

RaidBeamRef1.jpg

RaidBeamRef2.jpg

RaidBeamRef3.jpg

A note about the beamshots. Cameras seem to favour the warmer WG tint CREE Q5 used in the MRV. It is weaker than both the Spear and the Tiablos on all cell configs. I judged it to be ill advised to use another white balance setting for the MRV as it would compromise the complete beamshot effort. Due to the severe weather with subzero rain and fog at the 200 metre site I had to scratch that for the time being. If time and weather permits I might do that later.

First setting at 50 metres

Angen50m-1.jpg

RaidComp1.jpg

RaidComp2.jpg

1RaidBeamRaid.jpg

2RaidBeamA9RCR.jpg

3RaidBeamA9_18650.jpg

4RaidBeamMRV_RCR.jpg

5RaidBeamMRV_18650.jpg

6RaidBeamA8_18650.jpg

7RaidBeam3D.jpg

Second setting at 95 metres

Angen95m.jpg

RaidComp3.jpg

RaidComp4.jpg

8RaidBeamRaid.jpg

9RaidBeamA9RCR.jpg

10RaidBeamA9_18650.jpg

11RaidBeamMRV_RCR.jpg

12RaidBeamMRV_18650.jpg

13RaidBeamA8_18650.jpg

14RaidBeam3D.jpg

Due to the debate whether certain emitter tints works better than others in rain or fog etc. I'd like to point out that all beamshots in this review were shot in rain, pretty much rain even. As usual I didn't notice any differences in the ability to project light at distances ,or that one would be better than the others at colour rendering. Some of my lights have yellowish CREE WG emitters and others have blueish SSC P4 USXOH.

Runtime on AW18650 2200 mAh LiION

Excellent runtime on 18650 on high level. At 92 minutes the light starts to flicker when th low voltage warning cuts in. A few seconds after the flicker starts the light abruptly goes out. I haven't done any runtimes on low since that would be going on for at least a week if I'm to trust EDGE TAC's own figures. For this test starting voltage was 4.20 V and stop voltage was 2.9 V. Note that EDGE TAC used the Sanyo 2400 mAh cell for testing, using that cell might improve runtime somewhat.

RaidRuntime2.jpg

Runtime on low
It is 6 days and about 10 hours. I got about 160 hours on one AW 2200 mAh LiION cell. No graph for this one. It starts at ~420 Lux and after a day or so it continues for the duration at ~350 Lux in throw.

Other findings

Battery draw
On high: 1.2 A.
On low: 20 mA.

Output
The Spear on one 18650 LiION cell outperform both the stock Tiablo A9 and the MRV on RCR123 cells, both on paper and in real usage. Spill area is smaller but considerably brighter.

Throw at one metre and spill in Lux. Throw/Spill

RaidFire Spear
High: 24 600/305
Low: 422/12

For comparison

Tiablo A9 stock version:
21 700/210 (RCR123)
16 820/150 (18650 LiION)

MRV CREE Q5:
19 350/175 (RCR123)
14 270/115 (18650 LiION)

Weight with one AW 18650 LiION

Spear 240 grams
Tiablo A9 197 grams
MRV 228 grams

Reflector design

The Spear has a deeper and slightly narrower reflector compared to Tiablo A8/A9 and the MRV. Inner diameter is 36 mm compared to the others that are 38 mm. Depth is 38 mm (as far as I can measure it) compared to the Tiablo's 36 mm and the MRV's 32 mm. This gives the Spear a narrower and brighter spill area as well as a tighter hotspot. Without having the Dereelight DBS and only going by beamshots by others, I would venture to say that the Spear resembles the DBS beam profile.

Conclusion

The Spear seems to be of exceptionally good quality. Machining is flawless and all moving parts operate smoothly. I had to lubricate o-rings and threads since they were dry. Finish on my sample is outstanding, no nicks or marks. No visible machining marks at all. I had my doubts about the appearance and design, but I find it quite appealing when actually using it. I'm unclear about the issue of heatsinking holes in the head, whether it actually helps heatsinking or not. The holes do add to the appearance of the light but they will attract dirt and dust over time. The tailcap could be a little less flared to accomodate people with smaller hands, for me the tailcap works well and it improves grip. The reflector and lens (which do have AR coating) are of very high quality and the lens retaining ring is easy to remove on my sample. Since the head and light engine are glued together (on my sample, I don't know if all are glued) it will make upgrading the emitter a little harder. Changing the pill is not difficult at all, all that is required is that the lens and reflector are removed. Hopefully EDGE TAC will offer upgrade 'pills' when newer emitters arrive.

Output is very good on high, up with the best throw lights available today. The Spear on one 18650 LiION outperform both the stock Tiablo A9 and the MRV on RCR123 cells! Output on low level is very very low, that insures that I have emergency lighting for a long time. On high the light actually exceeds the manufacturer claim of 22 000 Lux in throw with several thousand Lux! That's a first for me. On the other hand the runtime is not as long as claimed, 92 minutes versus the 110 minutes claimed by EDGE TAC. However, I used AW 2200 mAh cells for the runtime, EDGE TAC used Sanyo 2400 mAh cells for their runtime. That might be the reason for my slightly shorter runtime.

Regulation on high level is very good, it's a virtual flat line for 90 minutes. About 90 minutes is about what can be expected from a light running an CREE Q5 at a level exceeding 1 A. The stock driver seem to be able to boost the voltage from a single 18650 LiION cell to ~4 Volt which maximises the output from an CREE Q5 driven at 1 A or higher. The only other flashlight I have seen that is capable of doing this is the Regalight WT1. This implies that the Spear has a boost driver specifically designed for 18650 LiION. MRV gen 2 and SE (not the new digital driver MRV, that I don't know anything about) and the Tiablos all have lower output on 18650 compared to CR123 or RCR123.

The Spear is a very solid flashlight, it's heavier than both the Tiablo A9 and the MRV but it's built more massively. This flashlight should be able to take a lot of abuse. Apart from the solid construction it has springs at both battery terminals, that should make it impervious to sudden impacts, and the 3 mm thick glass lens which is set deep in the bezel should be pretty tough to break. Heatsinking is very good, largely due to the solid construction and the massive brass light engine ' pill' for heat transfer to the body.

This is a very nice light that I'm not ashamed to recommend. If the styling happens to agree with you and you need a good bright light, get it. As always there is some room for improvement, a better lanyard attachment, less laser etching (Strong light!) and the flared tailcap (my opinion only, since it works). But that's minor things considering this is a high quality really powerful package.

Stefan

Last edited:

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some additional beamshots.
Very real world this time. How does these lights light up a rainy, pitch black, country road over a distance of 250 meters? It turns out that the difference isn't that dramatic. Like I said earlier, it's difficult to see a difference unless the output differ somewhere about 10 000 Lux. The MRV on RCR123 still gives the Tiablo and the Spear a fight for the prize, but doesn't have a chance on paper. In this scenario the Spear is the best performing light along with my extreme M*g 3D. BUT the difference in real world scenarios isn't really that big. Ergonomics, runtime, build quality and durability are more important with these lights. Shots are 8 second exposures, WB is daylight, f/2.8 and ISO 100. Shot with Canon G9 with Kenko Pro 1D UV filter to protect it against the rain.

Beamshots3setting.jpg

0RaidFireRef.jpg

Raid3Comp2.jpg

1RaidFireRaid.jpg

2RaidFireA9RCR.jpg

3RaidFireA9_18650.jpg

4RaidFireMRV_RCR.jpg

5RaidFireMRV_18650.jpg

6RaidFireMag3D.jpg

Stefan

Last edited:

TodToh

Newly Enlightened
May be I'm the 1st person ..:laughing:

wait to see your full review.:whistle:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
NICE! I think it looks good and I'm glad to see it works good!

I'm MIGHTY impressed with DX sku 7999 Romisen RC-F4. I know what you said about lights you don't have but I think this one would suprise you!

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stefan:

Great preliminary review (as usual).

I'm curious about your comment:
"Cameras seem to favour the warmer WG tint CREE Q5 used in the MRV".
Wouldn't this also be true for the;
Tiablo A8 modded. CREE Q5 WG?

Keep up the good work!

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stefan:

Great preliminary review (as usual).

I'm curious about your comment:
"Cameras seem to favour the warmer WG tint CREE Q5 used in the MRV".
Wouldn't this also be true for the; Tiablo A8 modded. CREE Q5 WG?

Keep up the good work!

You are so right in theory, but it isn't. The emitter in the A8 is very much colder, it was sold to me as being WG but it resembles my WC emitters in tint. So I guess they are each at the extreme ends of the binning. I'm thinking about skipping the MRV in future beamshots.
Stefan

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read what you said about comparing to lights you don't have, but don't you own a DBS? I've seen earlier comparison reviews by you including it. Since this light's numbers beat the current competition (for unmodded only, of course), I think you should bring in the real king :grin2:

If you do add the DBS, please be sure to say exactly what pill you're using - so far for me the hardest thing to clarify on these forums is what Dereelight pill somebody's talking about :ironic:

Great review, I'm keeping track of it for the updates!

kiwiman3139

Newly Enlightened
Hi Stefan,
Thanks for the review-you do your reviews in an easy to follow and everyday use style which is so much more useful to me. The light looks good and i think the holes in the head give it some individual flair and allow it to stand out from the bunch which seems to be getting larger. Most of the other throwers are very uniform in design and style.
Regards Stewart

ledaholic

Enlightened
About the runtime, Raidfire used a 2400mAH battery, you used a 2200mAH battery, maybe the difference in your runtime vs theirs? Other than that, very nice review and beamshots.

RdlyLite

Enlightened
I have to agree with Stefan's preliminary subjective opinions about the light. I have been 'playing' with it for a few days but I have one fairly important gripe about it. The tint on mine is uh...blue. Is this normal for these particular binned crees driven at these levels? This is my first 200+lumen cree so I am not sure if its just normal...

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
:twothumbs as always Stefan. :bow:

I have also received my RaidFire from EDGETAC, but it will take me a few days to pull together my preliminary review, due to the holidays.

But this will certainly be a tough act to follow ... :thumbsup:

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read what you said about comparing to lights you don't have, but don't you own a DBS? I've seen earlier comparison reviews by you including it. Since this light's numbers beat the current competition (for unmodded only, of course), I think you should bring in the real king :grin2:

If you do add the DBS, please be sure to say exactly what pill you're using - so far for me the hardest thing to clarify on these forums is what Dereelight pill somebody's talking about :ironic:

Great review, I'm keeping track of it for the updates!

Thank you. Sorry, but you are mistaken, I don't own a DBS and never have. I simply can't afford one right now. With a bit of bad luck it could cost a fair bit over $200. This time I let the modded Tiablo A8 take the non existent DBS place since it performs like a DBS when it comes to throw.
---------------------------------

About the runtime, Raidfire used a 2400mAH battery, you used a 2200mAH battery, maybe the difference in your runtime vs theirs? Other than that, very nice review and beamshots.

You are probably right about this, I put a note in the text about this. AW seem to be very conservative when it comes to rating his cells, so often one AW 2200 mAh will be equivalent to other brands 2400 mAh cells. I have never used Sanyo 18650, maybe they are an exception and really deliver 2400 mAh or thereabouts.
----------------------------------

I have to agree with Stefan's preliminary subjective opinions about the light. I have been 'playing' with it for a few days but I have one fairly important gripe about it. The tint on mine is uh...blue. Is this normal for these particular binned crees driven at these levels? This is my first 200+lumen cree so I am not sure if its just normal...

It shouldn't be blue at all, it should be very white but not blue. What are you comparing it to? Too bad if you got one with an defective emitter.
-----------------------------------

:twothumbs as always Stefan. :bow:

I have also received my RaidFire from EDGETAC, but it will take me a few days to pull together my preliminary review, due to the holidays.

But this will certainly be a tough act to follow ... :thumbsup:

Thank you.
I was particularly dissatisfied with the beamshots (as always) as I feel they don't do the brighter lights justice. Then again it is very hard to differentiate between lights that all throw over or about 20 000 Lux when the difference is relatively small. I'm also doubting the point of doing beamshots with lights running 2xRCR123 like the MRV & Tiablo A9 this time. RCR123 have little energy in them which leads to short runtimes, and it's probably not very wise to run multiple LiION cells in a light. I wan't to keep my fingers. Running the Spear against two of the top throwers on RCR123 do however make a point about how it performs. The Spear do hold it's ground against both of them.

Stefan

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outstanding review. Beautiful beamshots. Mine is coming in the second batch, better order my AW's now. Thanks for taking the time to do the review!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
You know some day i hope to be able to take beem shots like this! nice job
Stefan!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think any of us with multiple throwers (Raidfire, DBS, Tiablo, MRV) should try taking some LUX readings at around 3 meters. It seems there is more difference in the size of the hot spot at this distance, and the results maybe more telling. I will be taking LUX readings of my Raidfire and DBS.

If all these lights produce a hot spot that is smaller than the LUX meter's sensor at 1 meter, the results maybe misleading. At 3 meters the hot spots should be larger than the sensor and there maybe more of a difference between readings.

Thers is a big difference in the size of the the hot spot between my DBS and Raidfire at say 30 feet. The DBS maintains a smaller and tighter hot spot, and a higher LUX reading than the Raidfire at 30 feet. At 1 meter the LUX readings are almost the same.

RdlyLite

Enlightened
It shouldn't be blue at all, it should be very white but not blue. What are you comparing it to? Too bad if you got one with an defective emitter.

Hey Stefan, I only have two other cree based lights to compare to and those would be the Lumpower M1-t and the Dmini. I will add that when I showed the light output to some of my family members, aside from the phenominal output :naughty: , the second thing they noticed was the tint. I actually didn't notice right away as my eyesight is not that great. But then I went to compare it to my Luma's and well, yeah, they were right. The difference is obvious. :thumbsdow

I guess this light can definently be considered for an exchange?

**Anyone else have this bad tint on their RaidFire Spear??**

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you, Stefan, for your excellent work on this. I'm looking forward to my RaidFire (2nd batch), and hoping the flared tailcap makes it a bit more stable in my back pocket (Tiablo was top heavy and slid around too much).

Hope both your thumb and the weather improve soon!

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you, Stefan, for your excellent work on this. I'm looking forward to my RaidFire (2nd batch), and hoping the flared tailcap makes it a bit more stable in my back pocket (Tiablo was top heavy and slid around too much).

Hope both your thumb and the weather improve soon!

Thanks,

The Spear is pretty balanced, and it's heavier. I don't get an impression of it being top heavy when using it. I'm sure you will like it.
I did the outdoor shots standing with the camera equipent under a large dark garden umbrella to avoid the rain, wish I had all weather cameras. The weather is very strange this year but I regard every day without snow as a bonus!

Stefan