The vintage California cop light company thread

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Nice! Nice! Nice! Lovin' those antiques.

My little Tekna collection grew 100% today.
bGO4dFD.jpg

If Field & Stream says they're good....

Cz1CpjL.jpg

The back.
NIP Micro-Lite arrived today. Trouble is the packaging is mint. So.... it'll stay NIP.
The Micro-Lith on the other hand will see action very soon.

28KZHXW.jpg

They look nearly identical.

mzF7SCL.jpg

The little proprietary bulb will get replaced with a Tekna drop in.

XvjStmX.jpg

This lens is what I'm excited about.
Holy Heads-up Batman!!!
e5c6HJb.jpg

Doubles as a magnifier glass.

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
What an awesome addition to the thread! I've lived in NJ all my life and I never knew we had a flashlight industry here. That's pretty neat! 45 minutes away from me too!!

Scott, if you have any info at all on Nordic light, that bought out the Code 4 patent I'd love to hear about it. I know Don Keller was a partner in that company and they produced some small lights but I've never been able to find out what exactly happened to them. I have a suspicion they were gobbled up by Brinkmann but I can't confirm.

I'd figure I'd post one I've been sitting on for a while. I purchased a lot of some pretty rare and one off lights about a month ago and I'm still going through them all to see if everything works and finding out info. This one is likely one of a kind. It' s 2D very early Kel-Lite with a prototype mace holder. This is a Covina model from around 1969. There is no serial number so it is very early.

iajaxZ6.jpg

This is your standard 2D Kel Lite except instead of an end cap it has a mace holder. If you'll notice it's stamped Pat. Pend. Gem Lite patented this design as well as a number other of Kel-Lite's designs while they were still being prototyped. Gem Lite and Kel-Lite both shared the same machinist and in the early days of the industry folks were not as crazy about patenting inventions or trademarking designs and logos as they are now. Rather than sue, Kel-Lite waited for Gem Lite to fold after only 2 years in business. The whole setup proved to be cumbersome and wasn't well received so Kel-Lite never produced it and Gem Lite only produced it for a short time. Abtomat has an example of the Gem Lite version in his thread.

8toP1BH.jpg

Kel-Lite produced fewer than a dozen of these for testing purposes. This is the only one I've ever seen and it even included a period correct sample mace canister. The bottom is drilled out so it contains no liquid. It's for demo use only.

Dw2eHo9.jpg

It's roughly the same length as a 4D Maglite. Shown below is a picture for comparison purposes.

oyB0RWX.jpg

I'm taking off tomorrow for the fourth so everyone have a good one if I don't talk to ya'll before I get back on Wednesday!!!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Another epic score Lift'd. Enjoy your excursion mon-fraire.

Got the Micro-Lith going:
OFaTb91.jpg

2 N cells work perfectly

oLONRcu.jpg

Find that remote control in a darkened room, lit by tv beam.

Sure, it's not a blinder, nor is it a David vs Goliath tool. But it will help you see steps, find your keys, fumble throughout an unlit shed for your kids football, or provide the required output to light up the bathroom without waking the missus.
Most of all it easily fits in your trouser pocket.
(Next day edit:) Life has me on the vampire shift so I sat up and watched a couple of flix in a room lit by said television. At about 4:30 the sun starts to rise at my location so I decided it was time to retire, but first... pretend it's 1983 and I just arrived home from work, and the lights are out....
The magnifier lens exagerates the 10-15 lumens this thing puts out so finding my way car to home was great. Then climbing darkened stairs was easy. Thanks to the broad beam with a nice blended spot I saw my kids roller skate waiting to trip me long before I reached it. Then once inside keys were hung up.. woops, dropped behind a chest under the key hooks... easily found. Now I could see from my living room to the kitchen that somebody had left the mayonaise out of the refrigerator... pfft I don't dig on mayo so no care there. Then a nice gentle beam lit the hallway to my room. A cup on the vanity in the bathroom made for a nice light holder while doing end of the day stuff. Ceiling bounce with this light provided plenty of gentle light throughout the room. When done I twisted it to off and set it on the nightstand by the bed and went into my horizontal position for a few hours. End edit)
Note it's 2017 and my kid is grown so the roller skate was not laying on my steps, the lights weren't out in my hood nor was the mayo left out of the fridge. But the rest took place as an attempt to mimic life at 4:30am in about 1983 when the Tekna Micro-Lith was available.

1:30am edit:
In the vein of the Tekna, and at risk of igniting a SureFire discussion I'll mention another California Cop Light company,
Pelican.

Stick with me here please...
OzGgXcf.jpg

XkQM2Sg.jpg

Basically what I have read here and forums of other topics is that early Pelican's were popular for their waterproof characteristics.
Now I have not read of police carrying Pelicans in the early days like the vast majority of the big lights this thread is focused on. I did read the Tekna Micro-Lith was. Perhaps Scott@ can shed some light on the little known 6 volt (2x123) version.

Now that would've been what I would call the 2nd chapter of the California Cop Light... the 1980's.
The 80's saw big changes. BIG! The irony is that the big changes in everyday carry was the lights getting smaller. The mini mag, the SigmaLite, the Pocket Mate, Teknas and yes... the Pelicans. Hell even Bright Star had a minimag clone at one point. Kel-Lite was Streamlight owned, LA Screw was GT Price'd, Bianchi was gone and Pro Light was doing ok. We all know Tony was building an empire he still rules today. By the close of the 80's things really changed. Dr. John Matthews had entered the scene.

I say all of this knowing the point of this thread at the outset was those jumbo numbers made from sprinkler pipe that slowly began to show up across America in places other than police cars. I had neighbors who raced motorcycles and were all things California in my little one horse town somewhere in middle Virginia. They had loot (as their dads had good paying union jobs). They had Kel-Lites and B-Lites. (One of the reasons I prize my 2D Bianchi was those Saturday nights as a little kid standing outside of garages watching racing motorcycle being tweaked, and Evel Kneivel do his thing on Wide World of Sports).
To this day a good slider switch is still my favorite. And Don Keller made good slider switches. But as part of the Vintage California Cop Light thread the 1980's also played a role.

But the hayday was certainly the 1970's. To me the period still lives as long as Mag sells 2D incans and Streamlight still sells SL20's, Stingers and Scorpions with light bulbs. Now one could say that in 2014/15 the era ended when Mag, Streamlight, SureFire and Pelican stopped making cop lights with light bulbs. Streamlight may still manufacture bulb'd flashlights but to my knowledge the others stopped.

One reason I own a 4C Mag incan was that my mom had one at some point. My dad owned an early 3D (that I thought was a 2D forever but my brother recently corrected me). I hope to acquire one of the old ones some day.

Maybe Lift'd can shed some details on when the panther began showing up on the switch covers. I have 2C's with and without it. My "heavy duty" 4C does not. I've seen that question asked a bunch of times without an answer. Were they only on C models? Only 2C? Etc etc...

In the meantime America celebrates independence from a king again today. Hopefully anybody reading this will enjoy an outside activity tonight... one that is made brighter with a Vintage California Cop Light.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Beef: it's what's for dinner (with a Smoke Cutter'd Code 4 to make sure the center of my wife's steak is the perfect shade of red)
x2FI0eX.jpg

Incan: the true high CRI beam.

Happy 4th everybody

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice!!! I've been wanting to pick one of these up and check out the internals and how it compares to the old Code 4s. I'm looking forward to a full write up and comparison shots Mr. Fixer!! :) Nice find!!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I keep checking the tracking forgetting it was mailed 'economy' from California. When I bought that ugly Vare-Beam sometime back it was shipped economy and took like 2 weeks. I'm supposing that Brinkmann edition will be a lot more like a Legend than an LA Screw.

Speaking of ugly old Mag products I bought that 2D with the stuck battery. (In case you guys hadn't seen it on eBay it's a black TM bezel with "patended made in USA" on the barrel.) Lens looked ok, barrel, bezel and tail cap looked pretty clean too. So I'll drill out the battery asap and fix it up this fall.

st3XKlD.jpg

I suppose I'll have to make room for it.
I made a hole for the blue 3C, the 3D Brinkmann and my someday Kel-Lite acquisition. (Hopefully a 2C)

Far, far away from an Abtomat collection but I'm diiging the variety. My thoughts on the 2D Mag are to build a battery case for 2 LifePo4 18500's using an idea Irongate used on an antique baby C light, and use a 4 cell krypton to squeeze 150 or so lumens from it like I did a 2C a while back. (There in front with the green bezel)

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Alright,
So this so-called Code 4 Brinkmann showed up today. Nice surprise btw. After it was unwrapped I commenced to disassembly figuring it a 'pre-Legend' flashlight.

5pg7uDC.jpg

Here's a look
In the rear is a 3C Legend. Then a genuine Code 4, then the Brinkmann. Yeah I can see some Code 4 in it.

Well what's the 2nd worst thing a California Cop Light user can see down inside the barrel of his California Cop Light sequel? (leak-yuck being the worst)
Hu2p3KA.jpg

Shreeking violins screeming in background.
(Note: if link ever gets broken it's a made in China sticker)

Turns out these were post Don Keller Brinkmann lights. Ed Tor may shake his head see-ing inside this one knowing that Brinkmann out GTPrice'd GT Price on this one regarding price...

f5AKifw.jpg

Legend type bulb assembly.
Very similar to Maglite but nowhere near as sturdy

Z1MWaLF.jpg

Fastens like the typical Brinkman with a big Ole C clip in a groove inside the body to hold the switch and bulb assembly in place. I do like that approach as a simple way to service the light with a pair of needle nose pliers instead of a proprietary tool.

kXeQOkq.jpg

Eh, I was hoping to see the LA Screw false bottom spare bulb cover.
Well there ya have it.

Lift'd mentioned over in the Don Keller last hurrah thread how Brinkmann started having their stuff made overseas in '94. Apparently Don left in 93 and looking at this one it appears he took his Legend products and designs with him.

(Edit: went back and removed photobucket links throughtout this thread and added back a few from imgur but.... I tried to be descriptive enough where missing photos do not ruin the information provided in case imgur does the same as photobucket did someday.)

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Just in time for St Incan's Day 2017 the bykfixer has managed to close a deal on a couple of Kel-Lites from a cache of new old stock and gentley used items from Don Keller himself. A first gen and second gen D sized should be enroute very soon.

When they arrive I'll do some side by sides to show folks who luck up and find one at a thrift store or flea market how to tell the difference.

I haven't been this excited since the day my first PK Design Lab FL2 arrived at about sundown....

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats dude!!! I bet ya feel like a kid on Christmas morning. Don is a good guy to deal with and a wealth of knowledge. For those who don't know he runs the current KelLite.com website. Be sure to post some pics of those awesome lights when ya get them!!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yeah I'm stoked to say the least. A nearly 3 year search has resulted in an something I didn't figure on. These will reportedly have the original certificate of authenticity as well. Nice.

So a recent thread where member found a nice 3D Kel-Lite has a link that opens up a door to a treasure trove of information about vintage California Cop Lights.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?433282-New-to-Me-Kel-Lite-3D-First-Generation
This is the link to the door. See post #8
Enjoy
sgt: again thanks for re-ingniting this discussion.

Unfortunately a lot of pics are gone.

Lastly: I asked Don Keller what bulbs he used at Kel-Lite and why. He said GE and Phillips were used as they were priced better.
But he also added that after 4 years of working with guys in lab coats the kryton bulb was pionerred. He named it "Krytpton" and in time it was introduced by Maglite as their "Magnum Star". He said "we" sold them with washer spacers for non adjustable beam'd flashlights but the Mag did not need them.
So like so many other things Don pioneered it includes the first high intensity flashlight bulbs... the fabled krypton bulbs.
He did not say who "we" is and I did not ask.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
So these 3 dudes showed up today;
83gJ1k3.jpg

A Barstow made 2C (1st gen), a Barstow made 2D (2nd gen) with gun mount head known as the small head and a Covina made 3D (1st gen) with the normal big head.
(Note the 2C arrived with a Barstow tailcap, a 2nd gen bulb fastener and a first gen switch... oh, and a Maglite Hong Kong made 2 cell bulb)

I'll add more in a bit. Just got home from a long night and Mrs. Fixer wants me to have a cup of coffee with her before she starts her busy day.
Mmmm, that was some mighty fine coffee...

So anyway, when you get new (to you) incan flashlights it aint like a new fangled LED where you stuff in a battery or two, click a button and marvel at the beam on your ceiling with your new non-servicable gadget. With an incan there are mechanical aspects to explore. Well that and they aint all that bright so you don't get some "holy cow that's bright" pizazz with these gadgets.

I go through my 'what did Don do to get light from these' motions of exploring the switching, the bulb isolation, the tail cap design and all that with each one and for some reason the 3D was the last one to be explored. As I took it apart it was not anything unusual going on in my brain. But when I stuffed 3 Rayovacs in it I felt a sensation of being a kid again. Like I had done this before. I pushed on the sliding the on switch and that feeling grew stronger. When light was coming from the bulb I did like a little kid and looked at the reflector.

Suddenly I was 6 years old and my pop had just let me change out batteries in his flashlight before I had the honor of holding it for him while he swapped out a tube in our furniture sized console tv. It became clear why those Kel-Lites looked so familiar in the photos. My daddy used to have one back then!!!!! Awe man, what a groovey feeling that was back then and my memory of the blank tail cap, the black slider, that ginormous reflector and the heft of that light all came back to me.

I'll likely never know the eventual fate of that flashlight. Did it burn in the garage fire of '76 where his garage was set on fire by an arsonist. Was it a simple stuck battery? Did he give it away? I'll probably never know. But in this same week a 2D Mag from the 80's also arrived. Looking at that versus a 3D Mag, my brother owes me a Pepsi as he swore pop had a 3 cell Mag. I bet him it was a 2 cell. The two are close to the same length. And I now know it wasn't a 3D Mag he had in the 80's.

The 2C was probably my most sought after vintage Cop Light (Califonia or elsewhere) and it did not disappoint. Such a tiny little creature that probably ended up used by many home owners back then. Massive quality without the quantity probably not rivaled until John Matthews Laser Products hit the scene. Maybe that's a stretch but it was definitely a game changer. Nice little light that isn't some radical change in output versus light before it. Yet compared to a baby Captain... good night Irene.

b0Ihdvm.jpg

The evolution began in circa 1914
1914, 1924, the 40's, and Captain circa 1976 couldn't hold a candle to the 2C Kel-Lite.

Now the 2nd gen 2D with a small head must've turned a few heads. Personally I prefer the 1st gen slider to the Norm Nelson switch. Bright Star had mastered what norm was trying to invent way back in the 1930's. Nice try Norm. The light with a small head is very well balanced in use and the beam is a thrower for sure. Must've been an amazing thing back then for mounting to a shotgun. And I can see where it would accel in a smokey scenario. When loaded with batteries it is noteably lighter than when outfitted with the larger head.

Kel-Lite made some mighty fine stuff with basic, tried n true components in a very durable platform. The metal reflectors have plastic bulb fasteners so hot-wiring them stock is out. But my vintage collection has some oldies with metal fasteners so there is that. I may acquire another 2C, a beater type or perhaps a well used 3C and outfit it with some 3+ volt rechargeables, a sleeve and a brighter (slightly over driven) bulb to see what a 1973 flashlight would look like with about 200 lumens beaming out of it.... sleepers... but these 3 jewels will stay stock.

LmbISDS.jpg

The big D led to what we call normal these days in a much smaller package.
But when was the last time a 6P, a Bones or a 1x 123 was used to break glass?

Some info copy/pasted from Kel-Lite dot com in italics;

1st. Generation:

Designed by Don Keller from 1969-1972 included the Large head KL model, The small Head SKL and the C cell CPL models.

All models were made 2-7 cell. Locations of manufacturing included San Dimas & Covina. Plastic slide switches. Later models of the 1st generation lights were also produced for a short time in BarstowSpecialty lights included the 1 Cell D size small head which used two ½ D size eveready batteries 1.5v ea. 2 cell D size small head with mounting bracket for High Standard Model 10, 12 ga. Shotgun. The first aluminum weapons mounted flashlight.

A few rechargeable tail caps were produced to fit the QualTech charger which converted the D cell Kel-lite into a rechargeable flashlight. This was the first aluminum rechargeable flashlight.

2nd Generation

Metal slide switch design by Norm Nelson from 1974-83 same head styles as above and added a medium head. Also included the Baton light and Stud Light. Metal slide switches. Produced in Barstow, CA. Tail cap stamped with Barstow and longer for storing bulb.

3rd Generation:

Designed by Nelson & Streamlight, 1983 until approx. 1985. Medium head only with push button switch. Produced in Barstow, CA. and Norristown, PA. Kel-Lite attempted to get into the rechargeable market with a tail cap charger, only a few were actually sold.

TAIL CAP MARKINGS 1st. Generation

Knurled edge, no markings (only several hundred manufactured) 1968
Plain edge, no markings. 1969
Plain edge Kel-Lite Industries and Covina stamped in cap 1970-1973
Plain edge Kel-Lite Industries and Barstow stamped in cap 1974

BARREL MARKINGS 1st. Generation:

Kel-Lite name behind the switch cap. 1969
Kel-Lite name and San Dimas behind switch cap.1970
Serial number next to switch. 1971
Cell size behind switch cap (D-5) & serial numbered. 1973

Some comparisons of light components:
6zYR9Sn.jpg

Left is first gen bulb holder. Right is 2nd gen.
Irony; the left one came from a 2nd gen small head, right one from a 1st gen C light.

rRUocpw.jpg

Left is 1st gen switch. Right is the 2nd gen.
2nd gen allowed signaling with a mid point stopping point. 1st gen was on/off only.

N0deGqt.jpg

Left is the deep bulb holder tail cap. Right of that both are the smooth type.

pvVSKLh.jpg

Plain, no markings tailcap

mcMtyu7.jpg

No serial number barrel

CrpWLdN.jpg

Only Kel-Lite stamping at the switch

FRWwmrC.jpg

One tail cap stamping

EQq3PBp.jpg

Another version of tail cap stamping. A logo in the center.
(Not my light)(edit; I ended up owning it later)

NLMQkB8.jpg

Looks just like my pops light.

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, Mr. Fixer, question for ya! How much did say an Eveready Captain run in the 70s or 80s? I know Maglite and Kel-Lite prices pretty well. They were around $25 back then or more than $100 in today's dollars. I was always curious if there were any affordable flashlights back then or at least what a mid-tier model cost.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Hey, Mr. Fixer, question for ya! How much did say an Eveready Captain run in the 70s or 80s? I know Maglite and Kel-Lite prices pretty well. They were around $25 back then or more than $100 in today's dollars. I was always curious if there were any affordable flashlights back then or at least what a mid-tier model cost.

I have an nip Captain from 76/77 with a $4.17 price tag still on it.
Bz8rypU.jpg

Note the Gregory Peck looking husband in his Cary Grant pj's saving the "hot lips" Hoolihan looking mom. lol

The gen 1 Kel-Lite has stirred up so many ghosts lately. My mom was a local official so police visiting our house to deliver secret documents to be signed or give her a ride to work in snow storms was not unusual... so I'm guessing she must've procurred one through a local cop, 'cause aint no way my pop was going to pay $20 for a flashlight in 1970/71.

Back then pet bird food came with pot seeds in it. True. So when my mom dumped out bird seed in her flower bed it was not unusual to have "wild flowers" growing in it. One day Johnny Law knocks on our front door (with some plucked plants in one hand) and when I answered it he said "I'm here to arrest your mom for growing marijuana". Well at 7 years old I knew what that was from see-ing the US President speaking about the scurge of drugs in the US during the evening news while Walter Kronkite spewed lies of the atrocoties being commited by our combat troops in Vietnam...
My mom was out back doing something so I go running through the house hollering to my dad "hide mom, the cops are here to arrest her"... (turns out she had seen what she thought were marijuana plants in her garden and had asked the police to ID them. Johnny Law was just fun-ing)....

My pop went to the front door not feeling the humor, Kel-Lite in hand ready to give ole John Q Law a good whack to the head if need be...

Thinking back, if I recall correctly that policeman was a meat cutter at a local grocery store soon after. Keep in mind meat cutters made good money back then so it may have been coincidence...

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anyone knew it I knew it would be you. Crazy, that's about $15 today which is just a little less than a Maglite costs now. These were the Maglites of their day. A true everyman's flashlight.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If anyone knew it I knew it would be you. Crazy, that's about $15 today which is just a little less than a Maglite costs now. These were the Maglites of their day. A true everyman's flashlight.

If you look closely at the lights used in Dirty Harry movies and the tv show MASH you'll see Captains and Sportsman flashlights. In the early 50's when MASH supposedly took place a Sportsman was available but a Captain (like the one in the photo above) was not and they had Captains for props. In Dirty Harry flicks they used 1960's Sportsman's.

It seems to me in real life Dirty Harry would've had a Kel-Lite.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The other day I woke up in a cold sweat. I had dreamed my pop owned a Radio Shack made Kel-Lite knockoff. First gen body and switch with a medium head. Actually a pretty decent flashlight iirc.

So I emailed the man himself who said "Radio Shack had Chinese made knock offs in the 1970's"

Double dratz!
Dratz 1; chinese knock off's.
Dratz 2; I gotta have one. lol
These would've been made during Don Kellers Pro-Light/B-Lite years.
My pop owned one sometime between his big head Kel-Lite and his first Maglite.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Like Lift'd said in post #150, Mr. Keller runs a Kel-Lite store now. Folks can acquire parts or through emails or whole lights he has in grades 1 (best) to 4 (well used) he has accumulated through the years. Keep in mind supplies are very limited.
With that said I contacted Don to request a first gen light with a medium head as a knock off to that Radio Shack knock off.

He indicated a movie production company has requested 10 first gen lights with medium and large heads so he set aside one for yours truely. Also enroute is a grade 3 2C for use at my work. The idea is the light will use modern 18500 cells (w/ home made sleeve) and a 4 cell bulb to achieve an output normally available from much bigger lights.

In the meantime I saw a first gen 4C light at eBay that piqued my interest. At first I thought "no way I'm buying that" but kept scouring the photos and noticed things were not like older first gen C size. It was silver but appeared as though the anodization had been removed, and it had somebody's name inscribed on the facecap.

A couple of days later there were no bids. Opener was the price of a medium pizza. Why not? Ended up winning it for about the price of an nip incan SureFire G2. When it arrived the curiosity from the seller pics were confirmed. It looks like a late produced first gen, yet without a serial number.

wVtVHLI.jpg

The early one (circa '69 with a Barstow tailcap) has no brand name over the model number stamping. The 'silver' one has Kel-Lite stamped above the model number.

vGi38wM.jpg

Serial number'd '69-ish model, no serial number on the silver one.

Another peculiarity was the Barstow tailcap. Besides the Kel-Lite logo, the letters on the silver one are polished in appearance with a shallow'r depth.
JPqtX8S.jpg

The letters on the black tailcap are deeper stamped and not as polished.

I56pnUk.jpg

Also noticed was how rounded the edging was on the silver one versus the black (likely older) tailcap.

Now I won't bug Mr. Keller with minor details on lights produced nearly 50 years ago. "Uh, what year did you begin chamfering edges of tailcaps?" "What year had serial numbers and what years did not?"... that sort of thing. I'm just happy knowing the collection contains an example of what was likely an early method made one and a later method of one.
Is the silver one a Don Keller run Kel-Lite or a post Don Keller run Kel-Lite? I may never know.

I slid in 4 Rayovacs and fired up the original GE PR-13 which brought a smile to my face. The bulb was removed and placed in the bulb collection and in it's place a 1960's TungSol PR3 was installed. They were made for automotive purposes so they are tough and have a nice beam. And being a 4.5v bulb with about 6 volts of juice to it the output brought an even bigger smile to my face.

GjBG4Xr.jpg

Perhaps the owner was a Raiders fan?
The 4C was a real good sized light with enough length to protect the user or for armpit hold but small enough to easily carry.

dnrdQvx.jpg

Versus a Mag 4C.
The Mag 4C has been my favorite flashlight since my mom had one when I was a teen. (Circa early-80's), but it may collect more dust after adding the Kel-Lite 4C.
Both use a 3 cell bulb. But the Mag with it's bigger reflector puts out more light. Maybe 80-100 lumens with a marvelous 100 yard throw with a ton of spill. Tonight I'll see just what the 4 cell Kel can do....

Edit:
Noticing how much solar radiation hits the California Cop Light collection on my mantle...
7vUy544.jpg

Color removed to show how intense sun rays hit some..

7KHCgbb.jpg

Better.
Easily accessible but no longer subject to eventual fading... plus a few of the wife's creations are more prominant.
Plus there's room for more later.

Edit 2:
Chris at flashlight lens dot com has added 66 mm hard coat and ultra clear plastics to choices for those of us with big head Kel-Lites. (That's about $3 less per lens than having them custom made). 43.31 mm will fit small head and C size. I'll state what size fits the medium head in a few days along with sizes that work well in LA Screws and B-Lites with the gasket around the mens. I have 3 different sizes coming.
(Edit: 52.1 fits the medium head fine n dandy without a gasket. 51.15 with gasket. End edit.)

His ultraclear is 97% out the front double side anti-reflective coated and the hardcoat is 95% with a tough as glass coating over the anti-reflective coating.

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice lights!! I saw that 4 cell Kel-Lite up on flea bay but didn't bid on it because I had one. It looks like someone polished the anodizing off for a custom look. Kel-Lite did make a silver but I can see what looks like black anodizing in the stampings and part of the head is still black. The chamfer on the tail cap likely is due to the fact that Kel-Lite used several parts suppliers to fill demand as they typically had quite a bit of trouble keeping up with orders. One of those was likely produced by Mag Instrument.

The earliest lights are going to be stamped Covina and San Dimas instead of Barstow on the end cap. Don has a chart up on his site with how to figure out what year the light was produced. Yours are Barstow made, model number behind the switch, one with a serial and one no serial so they are going to be 1972 for the no serial and 1973 or 1974 for the one with the serial.

EDIT: In your pic of your collection, what is the large light in the back with the lanyard? Doesn't look like anything I've seen before.

Last edited:

Latest posts