The war on terror isn't limited to abroad

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The war on terror isn\'t limited to abroad

@Chengiz: Well, I am very relieved to hear that the current laws aren't being abused where you work, but you would have to admit that the potential for abuse is there if someone wanted to abuse it. Plus, even though you seem to be a very competent man when it comes to doing things using good common sense, there are a lot of idiots out there that are also in law enforcement that do a lot of harm, especially when coupled with stupid and/or ambiguous laws.

For instance, there was a town that I couldn't go to for many years just because a bully from my senior year in high school later became a police officer there and he had it out for me (as well as many others) and he made it clear that he would use anything in the law to torment me and ruin my life. Well, if I had driven through there with a lithium flashlight and some cold medicine, well, you get the idea. The way the law currently is, there is just very much potential for abuse.

Greta

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
I really do think that we are nearly on the same page here. We both seem to agree that something should be done with those that really are making meth out there and are helping to destroy weak willed people's lives, but we seem to be disagreeing on who actually qualifies as a drug manufacturer, apparently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, we agree on the basics of this. The difference being that I know that there are just as many, if not more, laws on the books that actually protect rather than prosecute. You are looking at this from just one angle and are failing to see that the reason YOU haven't been busted for your "possessions" is because there are many, many, MANY other criterions that must be met in order for you to even be considered for some kind of wrong-doing. Each of these laws in and of themselves seem to be pretty innocuous but if you put them all together... which is what in reality is actually done... then you pretty much have a case that will hold up almost 98% of the time. And it is extremely rare to find a violation of just one of these laws without a violation of a whole mess of others in conjunction. Ya just gotta look at the whole picture here... not just a part of it.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just a thought, but it occurs to me that if the inacting of laws to restrict our liberties, and further remove our freedoms,(which has happened every since our inception) is the road to security, why aren't we secure yet?

I mean just how many laws, and removal of liberty is it going to take to make us secure?

Does it have an end?

If you don't have a definative answer, then maybe it is time to question the solution.

Greta

Flashaholic

Bravo... very good point! And I'll repeat what I posted in my last post to X... "...there are just as many, if not more, laws on the books that actually protect rather than prosecute." ... For every law that is written to keep the bad guys from infringing on our liberty, there are 10 laws written to protect the rights of those very same bad guys. They have more rights than those of us who are law abiding citizens.

Here is where you can do some good if you want to fight against legislation... fight against more laws being passed to give the scum of this earth "rights"... they have no rights. When they violate the Constitutional Rights of someone else, then they no longer have rights. No rights to appeal, no rights to humane treatment, no rights to 3 hots and a cot, no RIGHTS! The ACLU is the worst thing that ever happened to this country. You wanna focus your energy on doing away with those who restrict our liberties? Start with the ACLU... the only rights they care about are the ones of the very people who threaten your liberties every single day they are alive and walking the streets of our country.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

Post re-posted by Sasha

I should know better not to post in this thread, however, I can't remain silent any longer. I haven't read this entire
thread in detail, but it's been going in a few different directions. I am an absolute believer that issues this
country is dealing with now is a directly related to parenting or should I say the lack of parenting. As the
single-parent or no-parent children are now reaching an age of maturity (in age, not in knowing right from wrong),
they are running rampid, with no values, no respect, or understanding of right from wrong, looking for instant
gratification. I know I'm generalizing, but for the most part, parents no longer discipline their kids at that early
age where values are being taught and learned. Parents allow the kids to rule the household (if you want to call it
a household). Kids with no fathers, kids with neither parent home during those impressionable years, have all
contributed to our downfail in society. These kids see their parents doing drugs, they see their mother's mate
beating the poop out of them. Granted, this may not be the majority, but it's a big enough percentage to cause many
of the issues our society has today. If things continue to proceed this way, it will only get worse.

Greta

Flashaholic

Ray... I'm with you all the way on that tangent!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif ... It's a combination of everything that you posted... and then some of the complete opposite.

Here's a brief story...

I work as a cashier at KMart... so I get to see some really lovely parenting... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif One day, this woman came through my line with a little girl named Jordan (yes, I remember the little brat's name) and a little boy named Robin. Jordon was sitting in the cart and screaming at the top of her lungs... not a typical crying but a whining "fit" type screaming... and she was kicking her mother who was standing in front of the cart. Robin was standing by the cart being the absolute picture of perfect child. The mother was calmly talking to Jordan, "Now Jordon... you stop that please." Yeah... like Jordan was listening. She continued to pitch her little fit and kick her mother. The mother just took a step away and ignored her. Then the mother looks at me and says, "Can you believe she's 4 years old... acting like that?"... Trying to be diplomatic, I replied, "She's probably just tired."... And the mother replied, "No... she's just high maintenance."... EXCUSE ME?!?!?! ... high maintenance?!?! ... I'd have put that kid through the nearest wall if she were mine and then gladly gone to jail just to get a break from the evil spawn!! I had some stickers in my pocket so I gave one to Robin and then offered one to Jordan. The little brat actually snubbed me and shoved my hand away. Robin then reached over and took the sticker from my hand and offered it to Jordan. She shoved his hand away too. And the mother said, "Ignore her Robin... don't reinforce her behavior". You can see what kind of impression this whole scen left on me... as I remember it all in detail. Then as the mother started to push the cart away and Jordan was still kicking her in the gut, she said to the brat, "Now see how you embarassed yourself?"... Yeah... like Jordan really gave a poop. The person who should have been embarassed is the mother... for allowing her little heathen to behave like that. But then... nowadays... if you discipline your child, it's either child abuse or you're breaking down their self-esteem. Again... rights... blown so far out of proportion and control that we parents don't even have the right to be parents anymore.

Greta

Flashaholic

Ray... you didn't need to delete your post... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

damn.
i thought i turned out pretty well, being raised by only my mother, and also granmother.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

BlindedByTheLite; going against the grain in a neighborhood near you. *lol*

Chengiz

Enlightened

Blinded, you are not the only one who has turned out right raised in those circumstances. It is not a miracle. What makes the news are the ones who don't turn out right.

If I'm not mistaken both of the Columbine killers came from two parent homes. The difference there is that they were building an arsenal in the garage and the parents never caught a hint. May as well have been raised by wolves.

The Soviets had the most magnificent police state in the world. Stuff still happened there.

Man will create the circumstances to create new laws no matter how many are in existance. 20 years ago who would have thought that you would have to regulate OTCs. What will needed to be regulated 20 years from now? As long as man walks this planet we will never be secure.

The best we can hope for is to chisel away at those who will threaten our existance. Or jsut throw the keys to the dolphins and close up humanity.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
Ray... I'm with you all the way on that tangent!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif ... It's a combination of everything that you posted... and then some of the complete opposite.

Here's a brief story...

I work as a cashier at KMart... so I get to see some really lovely parenting... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif One day, this woman came through my line with a little girl named Jordan (yes, I remember the little brat's name) and a little boy named Robin. Jordon was sitting in the cart and screaming at the top of her lungs... not a typical crying but a whining "fit" type screaming... and she was kicking her mother who was standing in front of the cart. Robin was standing by the cart being the absolute picture of perfect child. The mother was calmly talking to Jordan, "Now Jordon... you stop that please." Yeah... like Jordan was listening. She continued to pitch her little fit and kick her mother. The mother just took a step away and ignored her. Then the mother looks at me and says, "Can you believe she's 4 years old... acting like that?"... Trying to be diplomatic, I replied, "She's probably just tired."... And the mother replied, "No... she's just high maintenance."... EXCUSE ME?!?!?! ... high maintenance?!?! ... I'd have put that kid through the nearest wall if she were mine and then gladly gone to jail just to get a break from the evil spawn!! I had some stickers in my pocket so I gave one to Robin and then offered one to Jordan. The little brat actually snubbed me and shoved my hand away. Robin then reached over and took the sticker from my hand and offered it to Jordan. She shoved his hand away too. And the mother said, "Ignore her Robin... don't reinforce her behavior". You can see what kind of impression this whole scen left on me... as I remember it all in detail. Then as the mother started to push the cart away and Jordan was still kicking her in the gut, she said to the brat, "Now see how you embarassed yourself?"... Yeah... like Jordan really gave a poop. The person who should have been embarassed is the mother... for allowing her little heathen to behave like that. But then... nowadays... if you discipline your child, it's either child abuse or you're breaking down their self-esteem. Again... rights... blown so far out of proportion and control that we parents don't even have the right to be parents anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. That's a classic example of what I'm referring to. As it relates to the point of not being to discipline your child nowadays, I agree that may be what it's come down to, however I still stand by raising your kids "old-school". If I had a child today, that age, I'd take the chance and would have laid her *** out right there in the store.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
Ray... you didn't need to delete your post... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I whacked it in time, before anyone saw it. After clicking the submit button, I had seconds thoughts, figuring it would cause more harm then good to the thread.

Chengiz

Enlightened

As far as circumstantial evidence, there is a person in custody in Grand Rapids for the disappearance of Dru Sjodin (who is still missing). This person is there based on some great efforts by a hundred man investigative team (stuff we don't know about), and a few droplets of blood (Sjodin's).

This is a good argument for here. It is not a weapon of mass destruction, but the Sjodin's none theless feel the pain of a WMD. Should they have arrested?

Greta

Flashaholic

Ray... I saved your post... if you would like me to re-post it for you... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
Ray... I saved your post... if you would like me to re-post it for you... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, please. That would be great. It's not fair to talk about it without others being able to see it too. Thanks.

Greta

Flashaholic

Ray... done... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now to what Chengiz posted... this is a good example and brings this right back on topic very nicely... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

So is this arrest "good"? What about the freedom of this family? Haven't their rights to liberty been violated? Just what is considered a weapon of mass destruction? In their mind, the destruction doesn't get any more massive than the loss of their child. Terrorism? You betcha... in their mind. Their thoughts are filled with terror every single minute of their life right now as they think about what has happened to their child. Should this guy be let go because there isn't enough "proof" for the bleeding-heart liberals? Isn't it better at this point to keep this guy under lock and key based on significant circumstantial evidence rather than to let him go and perhaps take away someone else's freedom and inflict terror on some other child's parents? How would you feel if it were YOUR child that was next? The price of perhaps having the wrong guy in custody is a LOT less than if they let the right guy go free.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

its interessting reading this post but you all who right so much my mind wanders a tad on ya post lol .buts its funny nascar has a disclaimer on his post