Things I've learned the hard way . . .(Part 2)

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
After the loss of one of my beloved animals, I was really having a hard time with the loss. A good friend told me "you do realize that every pet you have will in all likely hood die before you"? I had never thought about it in those terms. I shared this knowledge with my granddaughter, and then last week her American Bulldog had a stroke and passed. She still cried, but when her dad was telling her it would be OK, she said "Grampa told me that her dying is just a part of living", so I'm sad now, but it will be OK...

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
When your as accident prone as I am then stuff like this just seems normal. A brief rundown of the major stuff I've done in a 10 year period is as follows,
Hit by 3 cars, hit by a bus (slow moving thankfully), in my car whilst it gone run over by a tractor, came off my downhill bike and landed lower back first on a tree stump, nearly punctured my throat with my collar bone in another bike crash, landed neck first on the edge of a quarter pipe after falling ~2.5m, electrocuted myself with 240v UK mains roughly 5 times, dropped a gearbox onto my chest and lastly that I can remember ripped a steel toe cap out of one of my boots with a metal bladed petrol strimmer when I lost my footing due to a hidden rabbit hole and dropped it at full chat onto my other foot.
For those reasons I now believe I am immortal.

I don't think you're immortal. I suspect that you are just killing yourself a little bit at a time.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
When you're on a business call while you're at a restaurant, be careful of extraneous sounds.

I was talking to someone while I was squeezing a plastic ketchup bottle when it suddenly made s loud, wet pllllllbbbbhhhtttppp! And all I could think of was "gawd, I hope he didn't hear that." :eek:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
When buying a gadget at a festival from a vendor that you might not see again, test it first before you walk away. I wound up with a device with a new, dead 18650 battery that won't take a charge.

Update -

I was able to get this battery over the hump by placing it on a simpler charge for awhile. Now it has enough of a charge for my Opus charger to be able to recognize that it's there, and the Opus is happily topping it off now. I'm keeping a close eye on it though.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
I can say the same with buying rifles at a gun show from a vendor that might not come the next season. Keep a no-go gauge on you when you attend.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Molten crack sealer on roads & all-season highway tires :shakehead
what a xxxx headache problem I now have

== Put down on the one road leading to the building, on the one day a year you can contest your taxes.
If I said what I really wanted to say, I'll be banned

Last edited:

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Never pick your nose right after chopping a bunch of fresh jalapeños.
Don't use a blender to crush dried cayenne peppers. The blender will make teensy-weensy dust particles that will escape into the air that touches your eyeballs. On another related note, be very careful with those tiny canisters of CS... you know, the ones that look like the tiny canisters of lens cleaner? They are VERY easy to confuse when you have your glasses off so that you can clean the lenses.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Don't use a blender to crush dried cayenne peppers. The blender will make teensy-weensy dust particles that will escape into the air that touches your eyeballs. On another related note, be very careful with those tiny canisters of CS... you know, the ones that look like the tiny canisters of lens cleaner? They are VERY easy to confuse when you have your glasses off so that you can clean the lenses.

Oh!.... Really wish that was one lesson you had learned the easy way. Are you doing okay?

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Always have a mantra "if ain't broke, don't fix it." but I do from time to time break that rule.