think people wouild buy homemade hot sauce orjerky

nethiker

Enlightened
Re: think people wouild buy homemade hot sauce orj

Hey Raggie,

The food business is a tough one. Jerky is expensive and the sauce market is flooded. You would need to have access to a commercial kitchen or have the heath department approve yours at home, which is difficult. You could do it, but it's tough to make a buck, especially when you're competing directly against the big guys.

Just a couple of thoughts along the flashlight line.

1. You could start a flashlight service business. Most companies should have flashlights for emergencies and I would bet they are cheap supermarket ones with dead batteries. You could service businesses making sure they have the right lights and that they work. I bet you could sell them lithium batteries explaining the shelf-life benefits. You might even get them to upgrade their lights. How about schools? They need lights for when they have night time activities, and I would guess that most are inadequate. How about fire and police stations? Their lights are used regularly and I bet if you went around and just turned them all on, you would find some that need new batteries or bulbs. You could charge a monthly service fee to insure they are always ready for the next call. Many of their lights are rechargable. I bet they don't take care of their batteries. You could condition them to prolong their life. How about carrying some keychain lights and MM mods to sell as an impulse buy. Once you get a foot in the door as the flashlight "expert", opportunities will find you. A big corporation that now has new led emergency lights with lithium batteries spread around the building thanks to you might ask you about ordering some high end lights as corporate gifts. That's when you call Mr. Bulk and order 20 of his latest and greatest for your client. Well, that's how this fantasy business goes anyways.

2. The other idea is to copy the direct selling methods of companies like Pampered Chef, Tupperware, Etc... where you can start with a bunch of inexpensive mod lights and throw a flashlight party. Have a bunch of friends over one night and play with lights. You can show everyone all the cool stuff that you like with cutting edge technology and finish by offering your mods for sale. You could play with the Lion Heart, and other cool stuff that's not for sale, the idea is to entertain people so it was worth the hour or so they spent at the party and then sell them your lights at the end. Try to get a couple of your friends to throw the next parties and your business is off. After a while you can sign people up as distributors and pretty soon you won't have to go to the parties, just supply others with your product. This could even expand to retailing other lights you don't even have to make.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do. Just make sure you have fun doing it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Greg

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast

To do this legally, you may need to get a food handlers permit/license and the product you make to sell may have to be made in a commercial, health department approved kitchen.

Mike

matt_j

Enlightened

I think the pet idea thrown out there was a good one. Walking people's pets and taking care of them is a decent extra source of income.

Food is a tricky thing. I mean it is easy to cook or prepare something but than listing indigriends, making sure it stays fresh, preparation for shipping, etc, etc can be a real pain in the butt. On top of that taste is a selective thing. Also indigriends you use can cause reaction that is kind of unexplainable.I make this thing my friends call "polish mushroom sandwich of death". I mean they love it but their rears explode 30 min after I make it. Nothing every happens to me. But think about it. My friends just laught it off and your customer can take it little bit further than laughing it off. Also profit margins in food industry are small. If you are small sale and bad batch happens than you are in the red.

You are also good with computers? Try doing something there.

Ctechlite

Enlightened

Hello Raggie, I've got an idea...see if you like it. I know you've got a camera, at least I think you do. Saw it up for sale then withdrawn maybe, anyway I forget. Well I've read that lots of people here on CPF cannot take very good pictures, or just don't own a digital camera and other reasons for not taking pictures. Well my idea is that you could open up a "photography studio" for flashlights. Get some small props and backgrounds, take your time and snap some digital pictures, then email them to the owner of the light, no need to print. The only thing is you'd have to make sure to take care of the lights while in your posession and return them, pretty easy for someone with your outstanding reputation. All shipping could be paid for by the owner, maybe do something like have them send you the lights with a money order for payment that would include return shipping and whatever fee you'd like to collect. You return the light in the same box it came in with the same packing materials, so no need to buy any there.

Here's an example, I snapped this messing around today.

The balls were from one of those child sized multi games table, I forget where I got them...but anything can serve as a prop or background! Let your imagination run wild, pick some wild flowers!

Well hope this helps you out, if I think of anything else I'll post it here for you.

Latest posts