This should give the Thrunite TN31 a run for its money

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

That other image looks heaps better than the limited size, colours and pixels of a JPG conversion of the original photo for use on this website or anywhere on the internet where strict rules limit the images that are to be posted.

When you zoom in on a smaller JPG version of any photo the limitations become very evident as the JPG image gets very pixellated (jagged and blotchy looking) and looks like crap, but that is the limitations of saving an original photo as a JPG file.

A smaller JPG file is usually ok for printing on 6 x 4 inch photo paper but if you or a photo printing service trying to blow it up any further the results are not too good as pixellation raises its ugly head.

That's where the original file is needed to blow up the photo for printing or just cutting out the section (cropping) of the photo area you really want to see and keep seperately or print with.

MP3s are the same in audio talk as a comparison.

The MP3 file in most audio files now are a lot smaller than the original WAV file but it is still a compromise developed for the movie industry to be able to put the soundtrack with the video so as to keep the movie smaller in size to fit onto things like a DVD etc and for a couple of other reasons that I can't go into in this thread as it would be very lengthy and boring to most CPFers.

I must check out your ways of doing things as we all should know by now that JPG files are great for keeping file sizes small but it is a really compromised photo in the end as you can tell by the comparing the two photos in the link above.

Good stuff man!!!

Cheers

Last edited:

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok these photos are as they are but take that as you will.
I will verify all the setting on these. I brought a standard DEFT with me, but I could not see it hitting the building to my eyes so I did not take any pictures, and remember a full size DEFT is around 150,000 lux, but it is aspheric and has less than 350 lumens.
The DEFT was also the old champion of throw prior to the OSTS TN31. These are also taken at 1935 feet or just over 645 yards. If you have a light that can take photographs like this under similar camera settings I would like to see that. In my beamshots thread I also put the zoomed in pictures as well.

____________Control_____________________________VPT2 XPG-2______________________
Control.JPG
VPT2%2520XPG2.JPG
OSTS%2520TN%252031%25202.JPG
VPt2%2520APG2%2520DEFT%25202.JPG

_________OSTS Modded T31____________________________________VPT2 XPG-2______________________

Each photo I verified the Camera settings at
ISO: 1600
Exposure: 1.0 sec
Aperture: 3.1

Why does the second shot using the VPT2 XPG2 at the right bottom of this comparison image look so dark in the foreground with zero spill compared to the one above it?

Is that one with the Aspheric being used on a VPT2 XPG2?

Is your labelling incorrect?

Also the image I see in my reply has changed from your original one and it makes more sense than the original layout that has your four photos running down the page.

Something is wrong I suspect in your labelling either way.

Cheers

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was it manual exposure or auto? There's a huge difference.

All of Fresh Lights comparison photos are always done to my knowledge with the same settings on a manual exposure like he says "at Each photo I verified the Camera settings" at one point in this thread.

He must know that these are settings in a manual mode.

I doubt he does not know what he is doing with his photos.

I have seen quite a few of his comparison shots mostly of Lambda Varapower stuff and usually they look right to me.

Cheers

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have just sent a PM to Overclocker asking him to include the K40 in the title of this thread so more people will know easily what this thread is all about more clearly and not only reading that it is about a TN31.

Cheers

Fresh Light

Enlightened
Oz, I relabeled the one you questioned and it was the aspheric as you had rightly thought. I'll go out to that site again and take the deDomed stuff and the SBT and see how it does. I'll also might bring out the moddified Howitzer if he sent that out. That thing has a 110mm head running triple U2 xmls, each to 4 to 4.5A.

This is the comparison of the above photo zoomed in and labeled correctly
Again, these were all aquired under the exact same settings at just over 645 yards.
Dist2.jpg

Distance.png

Zoomed composite
All photos at exact same settings as follows:
Focal Length: 24mm, 28.8 on Control and VPT2 c aspheric

____________Control________________________________VPT2 XPG-2___________

Control%2520Zoomed.JPG
VPT2%2520XPG2%2520Zoomed.JPG

OSTS%2520TN31%2520Zoomed%25202.JPG
VPT2%2520XPG2%2520DEFT%25202.JPG

__OSTS Modded TN-31___________________VPT2 XPG-2 fitted with DEFT Aspheric __

But, these would all give the stock TN-31 a run for it's money, I think.

Last edited:

Fresh Light

Enlightened
I would like to see what a modded TN31 would do at nite at this say 460yd distance. It takes a lot to impress me on lighting something up really well at over 450yds on a manual exposure image with a 1 sec shutter speed.

DSCF0790Small.jpg

I'm with you about taking a lot to impress you! Something like a DEFT is impressive as can be for most people.
DEFT%2520Kit1.jpg
Q5%2520Pill1.jpg

DEFT1.jpg
2nd%2520Lens1.jpg

But, in these comparisons that I am doing it is barely keeping up. The DEFT appears quite similar to the VPT2 XPG-2 in their intensity with the exception that the VPT with an XPG-2 copper bonded and running in overdrive at 3.3A has considerable more lumen output. The tiny XPG-2 is producing 7-800 lumens vs 2-300 lumens on 1.5A XRE of the DEFT. In general, I'm not fond of really floody beams, at least on lights that are supposed to be considered throwers.

In the area that you are taking photos, I think a tightly collimated beam would be considerably more impressive. The beams of a triple XML or even modified TN31 have too much spill in the foreground causing your pupils to dililate. Subsequently flooding light in the foreground makes the distal end of the beam relatively less brilliant. So in that I'd recommend something with a large reflector, larger than the TN31, and smaller LED than the XML. To that end though, the lux measurements speek for themselves as do emperical data.

Last edited:

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
Well I had a Dereelight DBS Tactical V3 XRE-900 that I got rid of. It was just too tight of beam, and it would throw, but in my honest opinion the TK70 and K40 would light the barn up better than it did.

Your Lamda lights are no doubt awesome lights. I know you have some money sunk into them. But I'm just wanting to see the modded TN31 at 250,000 lux for what I think it should be doing on a computer screen photo here which would double my TK70's performance or K40. I have yet to see from what my knowledge is telling me a sample photo of the TN31 modified that is justifying what its performance should be.

Last edited:

Fresh Light

Enlightened
Well I had a Dereelight DBS Tactical V3 XRE-900 that I got rid of. It was just too tight of beam, and it would throw, but in my honest opinion the TK70 and K40 would light the barn up better than it did.

Your Lamda lights are no doubt awesome lights. I know you have some money sunk into them. But I'm just wanting to see the modded TN31 at 250,000 lux for what I think it should be doing on a computer screen photo here which would double my TK70's performance or K40. I have yet to see from what my knowledge is telling me a sample photo of the TN31 modified that is justifying what its performance should be.

The modded TN-31 is sneaky bright. There is little doubt that it performs the numbers that it says. I think the DEFT was a bit brighter then DBS and the newest Dereelights are just starting to approach it. But the XRE under an aspheric looks basically the same for all of them, just the intensity is better with the ones that use copper and direct bonding like Lambda and OMG.

I don't know why there are so few pictures of the Modded TN-31. Maybe I'm missing something but I've done mine and Saabluster did his and that's it? I hope more people can post theirs'. I sold my light so maybe somebody else can try.

I hope that you sometime pick up a VPT sometime and compare it to your TK70. The highest output bench tested VPTs have been the 5700k SST90 models with the dome still on. I wouldn't bother with the older nonturbo models, as impressive as they are they have about half the apparent brightness. But if I were to have just one, i'd get a dome intact model. When the SST/SBT70 becomes commercially available I'll get another in some configuration like that. The main reason I like these lights is that they are one of the few manufactures that always impresses me, kinda like the DEFT at 150-175K lux did about 3 years ago.

VPT2 XPG2
ISO: 400
Exposure: 1/2 sec
Focal Length: 6.7mm

VPT2XPG2.JPG

The next two are considerably more exposed than the under exposed picture above, but they are the same exposure and I have all 3 of this lights and configurations shown in the 645 yard images above.

337 feet to the utility pole and 414 to the treeline behind
Distance.jpg
distance2.jpg

Both Images are identical settings:
Focal Length: 6.7mm

_______________OSTS TN-31___________________VPT2 XPG-2 Reflector________
OSTS%2520TN31.JPG
DSCN0701.JPG

Temperature-wise, when I had the TN-31 in my possession, the most I ran it at a time was only maybe 2 min. I never really noticed it to feel much more than mildly warm, not really noticeable. The VP XPG-2 has more than 10oz of copper surrounded by the aluminium collar and I cannot tell any temperature change at all. In the XML version it is only slightly noticeable. Now in the SST/SBT versions, completely different story.

I do not know the speed that heat can travel through copper and aluminum, but within (i just checked this) 45 seconds of running on high, you can feel the light start to get warm. On level 38/38 the runtime with the large LEDs is only about 20 min, depending on batteries (3D/4C/4D w/ extender) and the light will quite hot.

Last edited:

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Referring to the post above (No128) by Fresh Light.

Hi Fresh Light old mate.

In your two photos the VPT2 XPG2 actually has more spill than the Saab modded OSTS TN31.

The Saab TN31 looks pretty good at lighting up a good part of that pole with less spill.

It depends on whether you like spill or not that also has to be factored into any purchase decision as well as the colour temp of the beam and how much of your targets you like to normally light up.

Either way your VPT2 XPG2 beam has a great look to it in your photo, I am quite impessed with that beam.

Is there any way you can also include an SST-90 version with a reflector with the photos above for comparison or don't you have a VPT2 with an SST-90?

I can certainly say without any hesitation that my Varapower Turbo 2 de-domed SST-90 Nustar copper bonded LED light running 3 or 4 (with D Cell extender) x D Cell Imedion NIMH LSD 9500mah batteries gets very hot really fast and it scares me to know that it is running at that temperature and I don't know for sure if that light has any type of temperature control or limitations over the output when it gets that hot.

Are you saying that the XPG2 version of the VPT2 runs at a lot lower temperature as I thought it might have?

Do you know what current both lights are using in each of those VPT2s?

If you get great results from the XPG2 version without high current demands then maybe I should upgrade to the VPT2 XPG2 version.

I will have to contact Kevin at Lambda about whether my SST-90 version has any power limitation by temperature control.

Those shots above look pretty good.

I find that lights like my VPT2 SST-90 when the Reflector is taken off and the Aspheric is installed it leaves me with very little spill at all to help me see where I am walking but of course I have an outline of the LED projected a lot more into the distance and can still control the focal point pretty well.

I know you like your throwers to be strong white pencil type beams but what do you do about where you are walking without any spill to guide your direction of travel?

Maybe I would then use a good headlamp with a wide area of coverage to help me see where I am going whilst holding the VPT2 still to make out targets in the distance.

Both the stock TN31 and the Saab modded TN31 that I have run very cool in my observations.

The Saab modded TN31 is a really good thrower at a more Neutral colour temp and it cuts through the darkness a lot better than the stock cool white TN31 does.

Cheers

Last edited:

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
Thanks for the picture. That looks to be pretty bad in that photo.

Hey I dug this one up of my K40 at about 300yds to far tree on top the hill on manual exposure with a 1.4 sec shutter, f/4 ISO 400.

DSCF4005Small.jpg

LowFlux

Enlightened
That looks to be pretty bad in that photo.
Saying something is "bad" doesn't translate well when posting on a BBS. Most American's know the slang bad=good, but foreigners will think you mean something is bad=rubbish.

It's one of those instances where certain phrases don't carry over well when written...

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
Saying something is "bad" doesn't translate well when posting on a BBS. Most American's know the slang bad=good, but foreigners will think you mean something is bad=rubbish.

It's one of those instances where certain phrases don't carry over well when written...

Well bad as in bad to the bone.

But thanks for clearing the air for those that may not be quite so American.