Thoughts on the E1B.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Umm, yeah it will. Are you just talking about a quick blast or about holding it on the person. In any dark situation, have a friend (with an E1B or equivalent) hit you with the beam and hold it while "pretend" attacking you. You'll find that you don't see it coming. In a city setting with bright ambient light you might need more output but for the average "streetlight" setting 80L will do pretty well.

As posted above, I can't find the thread that was recently created by a CPFer who tested out various lights, and their "blinding" power.

But the results he got were less than impressive.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lights just aren't weapons or substitutes for either well-designed, well-trained tactics or weapons. The best any practical hand-held light can do for you is give you a fraction of a second's disorientation, time to implement the other parts of a defensive routine (which will almost always involve moving off the line of attack for starters). SF's 60 lumen threshold level, 80 lumens, 120 lumens just aren't going to "blind" or stop anyone with more than the most casual intent.

Any Cal.

Enlightened
I have tried this, w/ a Dorcy Spyder 2x123 light. It actually had more punch than any of the other 6v incans I knew of.

Having someone flash it at you could give them, as mentioned, a fraction of a second. The flash of light had the biggest effect, and it was just that, a flash. While it could be effective at 8-10', it would still only let a prepared person move 1 step or so. That could be a big help if you were being shot at in a small room, but beyond that it seems to be a lot of hype.

The only other hint would be,"In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king".

superflytnt

Enlightened
As posted above, I can't find the thread that was recently created by a CPFer who tested out various lights, and their "blinding" power.

But the results he got were less than impressive.

That's why I was suggesting that you try it. I just had my GF help me with a test. It's afternoon where I am and we went into the darkest room in our house (which has white blinds so was still bright enough to see your way around). The room is around 15' diag and we each stood at opposing ends. She shined my E1B in my face and I could see nothing of her. Not her sex, size, shape or more importantly, her hands. While you're lit the other person is pretty free to close the distance and use whatever force is required. I have also been lit by the police on two occasions :ohgeez: and it was the same. All that I could see is a brilliant light, nothing else and I saw spots that affected my vision for minutes after. Just my experience, YMMV but I'd suggest that you actually try it in a dark environment when you have some dark adaptation.

BTW, if the other person has a firearm or if you only want to get away and not attack then light isn't much help (although it can still make some folks re-think weather or not you're worth the trouble and move on to easier pickings) or just a bad idea. I'll grant you that...........

Last edited:

litetube

Enlightened
HAHA. I was just thinking Superfly that your GF probably got excited when you asked her to step into a dark room to help with an experiment.

And then you whip out a flashlight and ask her to try and blind you :huh: . Although that could border on masochistic behaviour probably not what she was hoping for .:sssh:

No wonder people think flashaholics are strange in their obsessions

superflytnt

Enlightened
HAHA. I was just thinking Superfly that your GF probably got excited when you asked her to step into a dark room to help with an experiment.

And then you whip out a flashlight and ask her to try and blind you :huh: . Although that could border on masochsitic behaviour probably not what she was hoping for .:sssh:

No wonder people think flashaholics are strange in their obsessions

:crackup::twothumbs:drool: Oh yeah, she thinks I'm strange allright! LOL, sadly she's used to this kind of thing and can read my tone well enough to know what to expect in that dark room.................:shrug::naughty::shrug::sigh:

Last edited:

lumenal

Enlightened
As for blinding an Attacker.... Yeah; I'm thinking a small can of Pepper spray will work far better than 80 lumens to the face.

Ha! Ha! Ha! I wish I would have thought of that!

Dayum! :ohgeez:

Night adapted vision can be ruined by a Dorcy 1AAA with a weak battery! Let alone an E1B!

And LEOs don't have to always guard against "Attackers". :rolleyes:

Think nighttime traffic stops, or a DUI suspect - shining a light in the eyes of a perp is practically standard operating procedure.