Thrunite Neutron Series (XM-L) 1C, 2C, 1A, 2A Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and more!

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm eagerly awaiting your review of the modification and accessories... That sounds really cool!

Whatever became of this? Barry really is the bore-master. I would love to see how it all turned out, and am dying to know the wall thickness after what sounds like such a dramatic modification!

The online store I wanted to buy the Neutrons (I pointed them to this problem on the phone before ordering) discovered the same issue. But only with the head not loosened correctly (e.g. 1/4 turn). They did not know that before my call, but tried other brands also and pointed out that it is not only a Neutron issue.

I guess I got lucky, my 1C is SOLID with absolutely no thread play/head wobble whatsoever, no matter how far you unscrew anything. My square threads seem to be doing their job. I suppose it's just luck of the draw - like the Quark Minis - I have one with VISIBLE head wobble even if barely loosened, but then had another that was just as solid as my Neutron. Looks like thread tolerances are a beast to get perfect from light to light - probably as the die that cuts the threads nears the end of its useful life or needs to be reconditioned, it starts cutting sloppier threads. Maybe since mine was probably one of the first out of the factory (I won it in the giveaway), it was cut with fresh tooling.

Oh wow please don't quote the entire review...

First post, cut him some slack... I'm sure a mod will be in here to fix it and tell him like it is...

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK after starting a thread and reading reviews Im still unsure about my 1C on 3.7v rcrs

is it supposed to work properly on an RCR123?

I have grown NOT to want primary 123s in my EDC because with an RCR I can be 100% sure the light is properly fueled before venturing out into the night.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
is it supposed to work properly on an RCR123?
It will work - you will still have defined output levels, but all will be brighter than on 1xCR123A. See the tables and graphs in the 1C portion of the review. I recommend you don't run it for long on Turbo, as the light will get hot quickly at those levels.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will work - you will still have defined output levels, but all will be brighter than on 1xCR123A. See the tables and graphs in the 1C portion of the review. I recommend you don't run it for long on Turbo, as the light will get hot quickly at those levels.
thank you very much for that info
from what I could tell it is NOT normal for the Neutron C to shut off after 30 seconds on turbo

when I spoke to battJunction they told me the light was not built to run on rcrs. I want to EDc this light but I have a real aversion to not knowing how charged my battery is before venturing out.

I must admit I am still confused as to whether I need to return my 1C.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have grown NOT to want primary 123s in my EDC because with an RCR I can be 100% sure the light is properly fueled before venturing out into the night.

For this reason and to keep from having to continually buy new and then discard used up primaries, and for the greater output afforded, I only use li-ion rechargeables in my lights, when possible. Just use common sense not to allow the light to overheat and you will be fine. Learning the fine points of charging and using li-ion cells is essential, however, for safety. Recharge mid cycle whenever possible for good battery life and for fresh performance. My 1A is awesome on a 14500 li-ion.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
thank you very much for that info
from what I could tell it is NOT normal for the Neutron C to shut off after 30 seconds on turbo
when I spoke to battJunction they told me the light was not built to run on rcrs. I want to EDc this light but I have a real aversion to not knowing how charged my battery is before venturing out.
I must admit I am still confused as to whether I need to return my 1C.
Edit: sorry, I misread this - 30mins is normal, not 30secs. Sounds like a poor battery.

Last edited:

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
tsask, what batts are you using ? i had this problem and it was the batterys not handling the load. i am running aw's now and all is well :)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Another stellar review set! So has Thrunite revised the 2C model yet? Or am I best to stick with a 1C?
Well, this review is well over a year old now, so I'm not sure what the current shipping lights are like. I wouldn't be surprised if output or runtime had increased slightly (due to use of higher flux bins), but I have no drect knowledge.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, this review is well over a year old now, so I'm not sure what the current shipping lights are like. I wouldn't be surprised if output or runtime had increased slightly (due to use of higher flux bins), but I have no drect knowledge.

thank you, I'll think over this some more :)

Gryffin

Enlightened
Wow, has it been over two years already??? Time flies...

Thrunite drives me crazy. I mostly love my Neutron 1A, amazing output, excellent mode selection, built like a tank, stainless bezel... but I just can't seem to deal with reverse-clickies anymore. So close, so far...

The new Thrunite Archer line is identical in build to the Neutrons, but with forward clickies, YAY! But, changing modes now requires head twists, BOO! Again, so close, so far...

Ah, but, since they share body parts... I got me an Archer 1A, and put the Archer tailcap on my Neutron. Finally, the Thrunite Archtron, the config I wanted all along! It's my EDC bag light, lives in the slot on the underside of the Maxpud Janus on the strap of my EDC bag for quick 'n' easy access.

(The leftover-parts "Neucher" I keep as a loaner light. Most non-flashaholics don't seem to mind the reverse clickie like I do, and seem to grok the head-twist mode-change UI pretty quickly. Everybody wins.)

One more thing... If the clip attachment reminds you of the Quarks lights, it's not your imagination: they're 100% compatible. My "Archtron" is sportin' a 4Sevens deep carry clip for extra-secure carry on the Janus, it nearly disappears, leaving nothing to snag.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I got me an Archer 1A, and put the Archer tailcap on my Neutron. Finally, the Thrunite Archtron, the config I wanted all along! ... (The leftover-parts "Neucher" I keep as a loaner light. Most non-flashaholics don't seem to mind the reverse clickie like I do, and seem to grok the head-twist mode-change UI pretty quickly. Everybody wins.)
Thanks for sharing your hybrid experience. :laughing:

Seriously, I am glad to hear that Thrunite has kept the threading diameter and size the same. That's really rare over a two-year time frame for a manufacturer.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, has it been over two years already??? Time flies...

Thrunite drives me crazy. I mostly love my Neutron 1A, amazing output, excellent mode selection, built like a tank, stainless bezel... but I just can't seem to deal with reverse-clickies anymore. So close, so far...

The new Thrunite Archer line is identical in build to the Neutrons, but with forward clickies, YAY! But, changing modes now requires head twists, BOO! Again, so close, so far...

Ah, but, since they share body parts... I got me an Archer 1A, and put the Archer tailcap on my Neutron. Finally, the Thrunite Archtron, the config I wanted all along! It's my EDC bag light, lives in the slot on the underside of the Maxpud Janus on the strap of my EDC bag for quick 'n' easy access.

(The leftover-parts "Neucher" I keep as a loaner light. Most non-flashaholics don't seem to mind the reverse clickie like I do, and seem to grok the head-twist mode-change UI pretty quickly. Everybody wins.)

One more thing... If the clip attachment reminds you of the Quarks lights, it's not your imagination: they're 100% compatible. My "Archtron" is sportin' a 4Sevens deep carry clip for extra-secure carry on the Janus, it nearly disappears, leaving nothing to snag.

Thanks for the update! Good info to know.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
This Review helped so much in purchasing a flashlight for my dad thank you.
I'm glad you found it useful. These review is fairly old though, so it's possible that shipping lights may have altered characteristics (especially in terms of output or runtime). Typically, emitters continue to improve over time.

:welcome:

ger-slash

Newly Enlightened
I love reading your Reviews, worlds best in my opnion. Even it's in old one, i read the reviews of my owned flashlights. I got 2 Neutron 2C this year, on both i cannot recognize any PWM. It seems ThruNite changed something in the Drivers.
I like the Neutron very much, because of the light-levels and the UI (except SOS-mode).

With best regards
Ger/

P.S. sorry for my poor english

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I love reading your Reviews, worlds best in my opnion. Even it's in old one, i read the reviews of my owned flashlights. I got 2 Neutron 2C this year, on both i cannot recognize any PWM. It seems ThruNite changed something in the Drivers.
As you point out, this is a really old review - so it is certainly possible that they they improved the PWM on the 2C. Glad you found it useful, even after the fact.

And :welcome: