Thrunite tn12 vs fenix PD 35 or.......

youknowwhatimsayin

Newly Enlightened
I can get both for the same price so which is better. I know this has been ask a hundred times but I'd figured I'd ask. I like that the thrunite can tail stand and has a higher lumen rating. But fenix has been around a lot longer and that's a big plus. So for the same price which would you go with? If you have a better recommendation let me know. Got to be under 70$. And around 800 lumens. Thanks guys for helping me out.[emoji3]

weez82

Enlightened
Out of those two I would take the Thrunite because it has a low mode. But if I could pick a different light in a similar form-factor I would take a FourSevens Quark Pro QP2L-X. I like the UI better and I already have a Quark Pro QP2A-X and love it so yeah ...... :). And I had a QP2L-X before and used a 17670 and loved it. Just not a fan of Fenix's lack of a low mode and I'm not a fan of side switches and memory mode

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
O57dqIO.jpg

yep get Foursevens QP2L-X. much smaller, lighter, way better clip, and has an infinitely better user-interface

P12 has side button and mode memory so you have to remember what mode you used last, or it could lead to embarrasing situations

and my crude light box says they put out pretty much the same lumens, P12 just a tiny bit brighter

wingspar

Newly Enlightened
The Foursevens QP2L-X looks like a very nice light. I would probably go for the Foursevens first because of the UI, but there are a lot of lights out there.

As for the Thrunite TN12 and Fenix PD35. I do not like forward switches or last mode memory. I have the Thrunite TN12 (2014). It's a great light and I like the fact that you can choose Cool White or Neutral White emitters. Moonlight mode is great, and 1050 lumens is a lot of light, but I use moonlight the most. The momentary on switch is another nice feature. What I do not like at all about the light is 1. Last mode memory. I find if I am using something other than Moonlight, I have to cycle thru all the levels till I get back to Moonlight before I turn the light off. 2. I don't like the forward switch for switching modes. Try and find that switch in the dark. Forgetaboutit. Those two things may be personal, as you may like those features. It's a well build light that feels good in the hand and puts out a lot of light and a very good value for the money. I don't know anything about the PD35. I do own a lot of older Fenix lights, but started looking elsewhere when they did away with the tail clicky and went with the forward switch. The forward switch on the Fenix lights (my other half has one) is easier to find and use than on the Thrunite. My 2 cents.

markr6

Flashaholic
While it's towards the bottom of the list in my own collection, the EagleTac D25LC2 could be a consideration.

+ Tail stand
+ Available in CW, NW and Nichia 219...take your pick
+ Around $60 or less
+ Small size
+ Nice throw (personally I like a more floody light)

- Fenix feels much more solid, something I don't worry about dropping on concrete
- Still not sure I like the UI, but you might. Rear clicky switch which enters a billion flashy modes after 2 cycles. Drives me nuts, but worst case scenario you just use it on high (head tightened) and low (head loosened)
- Requires button top cells. Not a huge deal, but even EagleTac's OWN 18650 3400mAh cell didn't work!! Of course, that's just my cell...obviously not all of them have issues.

youknowwhatimsayin

Newly Enlightened
I'm not really digging the foursevens. What do you guys think of the nitecore srt6. I'm leaning towards that or fenix

MikeInTosh

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I ordered the Thrunite TN12 yesterday and I probably have it in my mailbox tomorrow. I was also wondering which one to get between the tn12, fenix pd35 and nitecore p12, fenix E35 UE..
I choose the TN12 because it has amazing good reviews, is the cheapest, and has the best min. and highest output.

My opinion probably doesn't mean much since I am a "nooby' and just started out exploring EDC lights, but hey, u wanted someone's opinion so here u have it! :D

donmichaelo

Newly Enlightened
TN12!
There is a six parts comparison video on youtube, comparing both tiny flashlight, you can see it....cheaper, stronger output light, excellent low mode...what else!?
I am amazed hot this tiny flashlight with just one 18650, can emit so intense light...you can not believe it!

Don Mich

Last edited:

Fragarach

Newly Enlightened
Quite like my tn12.... needs more throw and that mode switch is horrid...but awesome light for my 5yr old..has survived her running about, tripping over and swinging it arround when throwing the ball for the dog. Has also survived her throwing it once by accident.. depends what you want to use it for.

pipes

Newly Enlightened
Well Ill add my two cents but Im still fairly new to flashlights, at least on this level lol. I only have two to speak of atm, streamlight protac 2l, and my new fenix pd35. I can say I really like the fenix. I like the 5 selectable modes a lot, not only for versatility but also for battery consumption. Also I dig the mode memory, really neat feature imo. Its a bit longer, wider, and heavier than my streamlight, but it fits real nice in the hand and feels sturdy. Its my new number one.. out of two. haha.

bdogps

Enlightened
Quite like my tn12.... needs more throw and that mode switch is horrid...but awesome light for my 5yr old..has survived her running about, tripping over and swinging it around when throwing the ball for the dog. Has also survived her throwing it once by accident.. depends what you want to use it for.

I dont know what do you expect from the torch mate. If you buy a torch with the same size head, regardless of of brand and led, you will get the same throw.:grin2: If you want a distance thrower, you need to get a torch that has a deep reflector. For me, the TN12 2014 edition is pretty good. I like the separate mode switch because I turn off and on the torch several times and I do not like holding it like I am holding a gun. I also have a nitecore MH25 and I find it annoying when I am doing patrols, because if I turn it off and on too quick, it will change modes!! I tested the Tn12 2014 yesterday or today around 1am while working at an Australian Rules football field, I was at the opposite end of the goal square, at 800 lumes I could not see the poles, but at 1050, they were visible. I also like the strobe, its pretty disorienting.

My complaint about the Tn12 2014 is that the threads were not lubricated, maybe it was only mine, and that freaking pocket clip. That clip was really stuck in there :devil: and I took it off, but I ended up scratching my torch that I just opened minutes ago!:(

d0gYifH.png
[/IMG]
i8DDqU1.png
[/IMG]

From my short experience in using these awesome torches, it does not matter how many reviews you watch and read, the only way you can pick your perfect torch(flashlight) is by buying them and trying them yourself. I am waiting for the arrival of the Tn11s with the extended tube and I want to see how that mode switch on the side of tail cap will work for me.

The next torch in my sights now is the Armytek Predator Pro v2.5 XP-G2. I heard from the video reviews that it keeps the lumens output running longer and consistent and this one has a 400 meter throw.

Last edited:

userofnames

Newly Enlightened
I just got a PD35 this week. The reason I went with the PD35 instead of the TN12 is that from the beamshot videos I've seen, the PD35 seems to be more floody, which I prefer. The few extra lumens in the TN12 aren't a big deal to me.

Bob Damon

Enlightened
The PD35 is a great light. If you want another option, a side switch similar to the PD35 and TN12, check out the Rofis PR22. The PR22 costs less. I have the PD35 and PR22 and they are both great.

pipes

Newly Enlightened
A little update, I thought the claims of the hard to find side switch to be a bit erroneous, but in actuality, its very true. I did watch a video however where a guy alighned the clip with the button for easy access in the dark, im going to try that out, but still liking the light a lot, tried it out some more last night.

Fragarach

Newly Enlightened
I reversed the tube on mine and put the clip on backwards on the opposite side from the button so the clip sits inbtween fingers and palm.
And the throw is by no means terrible. But it is a floody light. Considering a dedome for myself as I prefer throw to flood for my property.

Latest posts