Thunderbolt Magnum LSD AA vs Eneloop

Mugrunty

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

(I'll be updating this post as I get more data! My discharge curve data is at home,so you'll have to wait until after work!)

I stopped by Harbor Freight Tools this past weekend and noticed they had some LSD NiMH batteries on sale (http://www.harborfreight.com/4-pack-aa-pre-charged-nimh-rechargeable-batteries-67861.html). I figured I buy a pack and see how well they measured up against my eneloops. I still had plenty of crappy energizer 2500mAh batteries to replace, and figured that these couldn't be any worse!

I did a quich search and didn't see any posts about these...

I ran a discharge curve on my iCharger @ 1 Amp and came up with these two graphs:

NiMHbatteries.jpg

Each battery was in a AA holder, so there may be some voltage loss through the wires. I measured the cells with my DMM just for kicks, and the graph voltage never was off by more than -0.02V or so. I'm not entirely sure why the graphs jumps around like a stair case. It's like the precision changed throughout the discharge. I don't think the iCharger works very well with single cells.

I did a refresh and analyze a few times on my C9000 (@500mA discharge), but forgot the results of the magnum. I'm doing them again while writing down the voltage values throughout the discharge. I'll post some data when the magnum is finished.

Eneloop (09-0612): 1873mAh
Magnum: 2164mAh
So far, it seems the eneloop holds a higher discharge voltage in the beginning.

EDIT:
I did an Internal Resistance measurement using the iCharger as well.

Eneloop (charged): ~27 milliohms
Magnum (charged): ~46 milliohms

Last edited:

Marc999

Newly Enlightened
Wooo, sign me up. LCD Nimh batteries. Haha, just kidding, yet that would be a fantastic idea seeing the remaining volts/capacity on the side of the battery. Neon pink perhaps.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I bet these are chinese LSD like the rayovac or duracell blacktops (durabrids). Not a bad price on sale compared to the best price I have seen duraloops/durabrids at about ~$10.50/4. I have found harbor freight's battery prices less than enthusiastic when it comes to value.

RBWNY

Enlightened
Hmmmmmmmmmm.......

No updated info here yet :ironic:

Was just checking since I wandered into Harbor F. today for the first time....saw these packs of the 2300 NiMH's and picked me up one. Right outa the pack, the DMM read them at 1.33 .... so I'm giving them a jolt on the charger, since my others usually get 1.39 when fully juiced!

Some Amazon cells (TruCell) that I got a few months ago, seem to have lost a great deal while resting, so I'm running them through a discharge/refresh cycle to see how to fare. Figured maybe I'd need to replace them..... so that's where the Harbor cells come in.

Time (as always) will tell.

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stopped to pick up the AAA size today and there were none on the rack. The manager at first thought I meant the high-cap version as they are on sale, but when I gave him the item # and he looked it up, he said they have been discontinued and there are only 7 left in the country. There are/were priced at $2.97 a 4 pack
Bummer.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
a neighbor got some of these and they died after about 12 cycles.esr of .35
thats sick!
only good for his grandkids led flashlights and use in a dumb trickle charger.
his 10 year old gold rayovacs are still doing fine.
avoid these and other harbor freight rechargables.

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
And they were the LSD, not the high cap? I've actually had pretty good luck with them. Run the AA in my GPS and also in a Romisen RC-N3 that is relegated to the glove box, and the AAA in a Coleman max that stays in my locker at work.
Oh well, thats neither here nor there since they aren't available anymore.