TK30 (TK40) owners - is this a fair review

Wattnot

Enlightened
Hey . . . I have that picture on the deck rail shot trademarked!! Just kidding.

Yeah, they either used dead (or wrong) batteries, or had it on low or medium.

The TK40 smokes almost everything else I have.

jbrett14

Enlightened
Guys! These have been great posts to read. I really appreciate it a lot.

I am thinking more and more that the TK30 might be the "perfect" light for my use. As I have stated before, throw is very important, but so is flood. For me, throw without flood is going to be useless. I need to be able to see a broader area while at the same time being able to shine brightly on animals that are 100+ yards away.

I also want to be able to use my video camera with this light. My camera will not focus on anything at 100 yards unless it is first lit up pretty good. At 100 yards, if the light is bright enough, I will be able to get some great videos with my 70x zoom.

I am just about ready to hit that order button for the TK30. Any last reasons why I shouldn't?

To those who posted pictures, THANK YOU very much. Looking forward to seeing night shots of the fence in front of the mountains - that place looks AWESOME!

Does anyone here believe the JetBeam M1X would be a better choice for what I am wanting to do - video animals at night, as well as all-purpose hiking\camping?

blub

Enlightened
It finally got dark here, if you want a lot of flood with good throw this will work. It's similar to my Quark 123 as far as beams go, wide and bright with no real hotspot at a distance of 110 yards and this is shining down the street through streetlights, it lights up the treetops no problem from about 150 yards out and there is a lot of lights in the neighborhood. I don't know if it'll work for you just because I can't find anywhere totally dark to use it to see the full potential.

Last edited:

pfccypret

Newly Enlightened
I don't own a Tk30, but I'll dispute the reviewer's numbers anyways.

I have a 3 year old "Rayovac Sportsman" (Nuwai X-3) flashlight that can light up a man sized target 2 houses down (I know, I've just seen me do it to prove the point to myself, lol). I haven't changed the batteries in years.

So I dunno, I think he is a exaggerating a bit and doing an unfair comparison (throw of an incan compared to an LED, the LED is always at a disadvantage). Plus, you have to look at what the lights are designed for. Everything about the both the Ultrastinger and Dominator just scream that they were designed for maximum throw. Whereas the Tk30 seems designed for more of a tactical use (blinding a room). I know Fenix markets them as the ultimate outdoor light, but it screams taclight to me.

PolarBearX

Newly Enlightened
I can see dirt on a curb at 50' with my TK40...I wonder if the reviewer forgot to turn it on :oops:

PBX

Last edited:

jbrett14

Enlightened
Well, I did it. I did what I have never done, even as much as I LOVE flashlights. I bought my first light over $50 ($108 actually). I bought the Fenix TK30.

I sure hope I will be satisfied with this light. I spent a lot of time researching lights, and reading many threads in here. Thanks to ALL you guys!

There are so many great lights to choose from and I am sure many of them are equally good. I just kept being drawn to this light. The beam seems to be exactly what I am wanting.

Now it's time to get some 18650's and a charger. Any suggestions?

C4ReeN

Newly Enlightened
hahahaha. that review is realy funny for me.:crackup:
i own both of TK30 and TK40 and each night i play with both of them.
i live in apartment and during the night i turn it on both of them and its really amazing. event i don't need to use the lamps on my apartment instead.

Both TK30 and TK40 definitely can throw more than 150m (although my DBS with sst50 with collimator head perform better).
how come that review tells that TK30 can't light up at ~15m distance.:crackup:

Last edited:

flasherByNight

Enlightened
I don't understand this thread....why not just read some of the (many) CPF reviews and come to your own conclusion?

jbrett14

Enlightened
I don't understand this thread....why not just read some of the (many) CPF reviews and come to your own conclusion?

I like to read as many resources as possible, not just what's in here. This "review" made me wonder if maybe there was something I was missing. That's all.

By only READING CPF reviews, with no dialogue, I feel I would be lacking in proper research, since those reviews do not, in any way, answer ALL questions. Also, I figured that's what a forum is primarily for - open discussion.

dwminer

Enlightened
OK, you make your own opinions.
Exposure 2sec, ISO 800, f4.5. 105mm full frame.
TK30.jpg

TK30

10X.jpg

10X

Just thinking, 10x bulbs $30 each and it takes 2, battery run time on high 12-18 min. battery replacement $70(?)

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
10X really is impressive, and the tint also makes it better outdoors. But the picture shows only the hotspots, and it had been of interest to see a comparison of the entire beams as well. Incans often outperform LEDs when it comes to throw, but when it comes to useful spill it's usually the opposite.

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

jbrett14

Enlightened
dwminer, thank you very much for posting those pics. Very nice! Although that 10x certainly has fantastic light, with much better color, it appears that the TK30 will do just fine.

I don't think I will have any problem at all, lighting up animals at 100 yards, and using the video cam. Unless, of course, I get a TK30 like the "review" in question. :)

I sure hope there are not TWO different TK30's out there.

flasherByNight

Enlightened
*shrug, my point was merely that amazon reviews are joe off the street vs. cpf which is a forum dedicated to flashlights/enthusiasts etc. Of course the amazon reviewer may or may not be an expert....but that's kinda my point.

Anywho, haven't updated my thread in awhile...but thread in my signature covers 75% of tk40 related stuff. Off the top of my head whats not in it:

~use of L91 no longer recommend by manuf. (ie will void warranty)
~some people have reported issues with battery carrier (very few)
~likelihood of some people frying their tk40s by reversing polarity *derrr
~durability of tk40 (very good) *great thread floating around of someone who renditioned theirs
~some additional holster suggestions

If anyone comes up with a list of stuff they think I should add lemme know

jbrett14

Enlightened
Typically, I would certainly agree with the generalization that this forum is going to be much more reliable than any "review" at Amazon. However, given that I am not prone to spending this kind of money on a light, as well as not having money to burn (no pun intended), I wanted to make sure I was covering all my bases.

And like you noted, the Amazon reviewer, for all I know, COULD be an "expert".

But all you guys have reassured me that the problem was not in something I was missing, but more likely in the reviewer, perhaps being mistaken.

Thanks again to all who posted. My light is on it's way. :) Perhaps I will put up some of my own beamshot photos of real world applications.