TK40 owners' club?

McAllan

Enlightened
TK40 here. Love it's performance (light output) and form factor.

However not very impressed with it's UI which is rather slow using. Would much have preferred the classic reverse click UI (without memory) or a ring selector like TA20 etc.

And then there's the battery cartridge. While it's OK as idea as it's the simplest way to make it take so many cells the way it's made is not. When you screw in the tail cap you get the feeling you're grinding the thread - even though it's lubed with oceans of Super Lube and pushing a little at the same time to reduce inside pressure on thread. Should be possible to design a good connector without the need to use excessive spring force.

Jack Reacher

Newly Enlightened
The TK40 is high on my list of "possible" buys as a newbie.

But... and this is probably a good a place as any to ask this question... Fenix say that you can't run the TK40 on 'turbo' for more than 15 minutes, but at the same time (on their home page) they quote a two hour run-time on turbo.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but to me at least, this is self-contradictory. In actuality then, you cannot run the TK40 for two hours continuously, because (apparently) the thermal overload switching will cut in and knock it down to its 'high' setting.

This is like advertising a Mercedes with a top speed of 240km/h but only over a distance of 10km — at which time a speed governor limits you to 120km/h. It'd be silly, and you'd never sell the car!

Incidentally, and before anyone cries foul shot, I live in a part of Australia where summer temperatures often reach 40°C+ (105F) in the shade or where sometimes it doesn't cool down below 30°C at night for a week. Why then don't (or won't) Fenix publish the ambient temperature ranges that their torches can operate in, as per their run-time specs?

To me, as a potential purchaser, this could be a deal breaker. If I'm gonna pay for 630 lumens, I wanna be able to use 'em when I want to — and not only when the weather conditions are cool enough (whatever that may be).

Any opinions on this issue (or maybe non-issue) from the "owners' club" members?

—Jack. :)

crazyk4952

Newly Enlightened
I also love my TK40. I have had it for about 5 months and I too feed it eneloops (I just ordered a bunch more to have spares on-hand).

It is great on turbo for taking the dog out at night.

But... and this is probably a good a place as any to ask this question... Fenix say that you can't run the TK40 on 'turbo' for more than 15 minutes, but at the same time (on their home page) they quote a two hour run-time on turbo.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but to me at least, this is self-contradictory. In actuality then, you cannot run the TK40 for two hours continuously, because (apparently) the thermal overload switching will cut in and knock it down to its 'high' setting.

This is like advertising a Mercedes with a top speed of 240km/h but only over a distance of 10km — at which time a speed governor limits you to 120km/h. It'd be silly, and you'd never sell the car!

Incidentally, and before anyone cries foul shot, I live in a part of Australia where summer temperatures often reach 40°C+ (105F) in the shade or where sometimes it doesn't cool down below 30°C at night for a week. Why then don't (or won't) Fenix publish the ambient temperature ranges that their torches can operate in, as per their run-time specs?

To me, as a potential purchaser, this could be a deal breaker. If I'm gonna pay for 630 lumens, I wanna be able to use 'em when I want to — and not only when the weather conditions are cool enough (whatever that may be).

Any opinions on this issue (or maybe non-issue) from the "owners' club" members?

This question comes up a lot and the usual first response is that there are not going to be a lot of situations where the heat is actually an issue. Fenix is overly conservative with the issue of heat, they want you to be smart with your light. That's why 630 lumens is turbo, not high. It is not intended to be run flat out for 2 hours straight. Nor do many users use it in that manner. On high by the way, you will have zero issues running straight through for 8 hours or whatever it is. Even still, 2 hours straight on turbo is still not an issue during cool ambient temps.

Now to your specific situation. I guess from reading you are well aware that ambient heat can be a concern. Now while you're not likely to be using your light too much during those daytime extremes, 30C (86F) is quite significant for evening lows. But I still don't think it's going to be a problem. The light will likely only get warm - even for extended runs - so long as you are holding it. Heatsyncing with the hand is incredibly helpful.

crazyk4952

Newly Enlightened
This question comes up a lot and the usual first response is that there are not going to be a lot of situations where the heat is actually an issue. Fenix is overly conservative with the issue of heat, they want you to be smart with your light. Even still, 2 hours straight on turbo is still not an issue during cool ambient temps.

I have had my TK40 blink at me before when it was getting too hot. The ambient temp was about 70 degrees and I probably had it on turbo for about 20 minutes or so.

Jack Reacher

Newly Enlightened
Thanks was.lost.but.now.found...

..... Fenix is overly conservative with the issue of heat, they want you to be smart with your light. That's why 630 lumens is turbo, not high. It is not intended to be run flat out for 2 hours straight.

I guess you're right; it'd be extremely unlikely to need the TK40 to run it on turbo for 2 hours straight. Although, I can see a need for more than (say) 15 minutes as a max. I do take your point about Fenix being (possibly?) over-conservative with this.

..... 30C (86F) is quite significant for evening lows. But I still don't think it's going to be a problem. The light will likely only get warm - even for extended runs - so long as you are holding it. Heatsyncing with the hand is incredibly helpful.

Good point. I didn't realise that you can gauge the operating temperature of LED torches with your hand, quite accurately it would seem. My noobness showing — duh.

koolranch

Newly Enlightened
I believe that thread is entitled "TK40/TK30 fan club".

This is the "TK40 owners' club"

I was a fan of the TK40, now I am an owner.

:crackup: I love it!!!! ----------> This is the "TK40 owners' club"

I own one and also use eneloops. Very nice light.

JCD

Enlightened

Wouldn't turbo for fifteen minutes at a time, eight times, be two hours runtime on turbo?

Walterk

Enlightened
Does anyone know what replacement reflector to get ?

I screwed mine a bit, by overheating to get the glued bezel loose. I have a aspheric in place now. The reflector turned copper orange, probably loosing a lot reflective-efficiency.I don't plan on polishing the copper away, as it will loose shine and accuracy.

Any suggestions where to get MCE reflectors with correct dimensions?

Outer diameter: 53mm
Outer height: 32mm

(Same dimensions as Maglite reflectors..?)

Edit: Got a new reflector and attached complete head, as service, from the shop 'K9 Beveiliging'.

walterk-albums-algemeen-picture35172-reflector-tk40.jpg

And while I am at it; any suggestions for another 19mm star-Led?
This is a good moment to get rid of the quad-die, it has only two leads. I think the MCE is rated at 630Lumen, so probably 0,6 Amp...?

walterk-albums-algemeen-picture25158-tk40-mce-cree-detail-parts.jpg

Last edited:

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I don't have any answers to your questions but I wanted to congratulate you on disassembling your TK40. I don't have the guts to even think about doing that! Thank you for sharing the pictures of your TK40 dissection.

Rocketman

Enlightened
1N7J5W00452

My TK40 is my finest light. That it is so finely made is no accident. Hurray for Fenix.

I still need to buy a set of NiMH batteries and a charger.

garden

Newly Enlightened

In reality, when you are walking about with the TK40 in your hand, you can drain the entire set of NiMHs with the head only getting warm. The "15 minute at most" is just a safety precaution (mostly intended for people in hot climates; with a high ambient temperature and been run for 20 minutes in an indoor environment, any high power light will get hot.)