TK40/TK30 fan club

FenixFire

Newly Enlightened
I've got the Tk30 and find it amazing. Decided to purchase it because I was impressed by the build of my Tk11 r2 and saw the torture test of the Tk40. I really liked the 18650 battery feature so I picked the 30 over the 40.

I "strobed" a buddy of mine that was in his car in my driveway talking to his girlfriend in total darkness and he said he couldn't see right for like 5 minutes:laughing:. I didn't really aim for his face just in the general driver seat area. I probably won't be doing that anymore unless I don't know who that person is.

Farhad Gulemov

Newly Enlightened
I "strobed" a buddy of mine that was in his car in my driveway talking to his girlfriend in total darkness and he said he couldn't see right for like 5 minutes:laughing:. I didn't really aim for his face just in the general driver seat area. I probably won't be doing that anymore unless I don't know who that person is.

Well, you mention the one regret I have about the TK40. Its strobe mode at 630 lumens is fantastic, of course, but it has one huge drawback: if you want the strobe mode, you first have to switch on the "turbo' mode at full blast, thereby revealing yourself and your flashlight, and then rapidly press the switch twice before the strobe goes on. So I don't know how you managed to surprize your friend. Furthermore, in pitch dark the beam of the flashlight in turbo mode, if not directed directly in one's face, will give time to the other guy to contact his retinas, protecting him.

If I wanted to temporarily blind somebody, I would not bother with the strobe mode. I would blast the person with the regular turbo mode - no warning and full power into the eyes. Should be the most effective way, no?

FenixFire

Newly Enlightened
Well, you mention the one regret I have about the TK40. Its strobe mode at 630 lumens is fantastic, of course, but it has one huge drawback: if you want the strobe mode, you first have to switch on the "turbo' mode at full blast, thereby revealing yourself and your flashlight, and then rapidly press the switch twice before the strobe goes on. So I don't know how you managed to surprize your friend. Furthermore, in pitch dark the beam of the flashlight in turbo mode, if not directed directly in one's face, will give time to the other guy to contact his retinas, protecting him.

If I wanted to temporarily blind somebody, I would not bother with the strobe mode. I would blast the person with the regular turbo mode - no warning and full power into the eyes. Should be the most effective way, no?

Well I have the TK30 so its a bit different ;). I already had it set to hunting mode and all I had to do was loosen the bezel and turn it on making it go directly into strobe mode without revealing myself. I'm not too sure on the 40's UI so no comment on that. IMHO I found the strobe in pitch dark to blind and disorient more than the full blast. I think the strobe probably causes more "stars" even if not directly shined in someones eyes. Plus there is no adapting to strobe in the dark and you can somewhat adapt to the full power.

Last edited:

thedeske

Enlightened

depends on the age of the person and distance, but the 40 has enough to gain attention one way or another.

I've yet to be on the receiving end to know for sure ;)

Farhad Gulemov

Newly Enlightened
depends on the age of the person and distance, but the 40 has enough to gain attention one way or another.

Well, I inadvertantly did shine the TK40 straight into a neighbor's face at night and it blinded him so badly that he told me that he though that an aircraft was making an emergency landing :sssh: (we live close to a small airport). Mind you - as soon as I recognized him I switched it off, but in 1sec or so the damage was done.:crackup:

Yeah - these flashlights really have amazing power :thumbsup:

desertrat21

Newly Enlightened
It is a lovely light to be sure!
tk40emitter600402c20092.jpg

LightOnAHill

Newly Enlightened
Happy owner and fan here of the TK40.

This is an awesome all-around light, that I don't feel bad using because it's so easy to power it (I am an eneloop fan myself).

and this is my 40th post, sweeeet

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my TK40 so much, I made my own lanyard for it and will soon build my own holster.

I tried the strobe in the dark and pointed it a the ceiling the other night. After 20 seconds of that I started feeling a little sick...

madmook

Newly Enlightened
I love that the TK40 outputs just as much light with 4 cells (retains all output modes/levels), just with a reduction in runtime.

T-3

Newly Enlightened
if you want the strobe mode, you first have to switch on the "turbo' mode at full blast, thereby revealing yourself and your flashlight, and then rapidly press the switch twice before the strobe goes on.

Yeah... this is a bit of a hassle! That's one thing I like more on my Olight M30... it has that button on the tail for instant strobe!!! :drool: Don't get me wrong though... I still love my TK40!! :grin2:

bedazzLED

Enlightened
Hi all.

Count me into the fan club also. I received the TK40 for my birthday last year and it is just fantastic. My most used large light.

It was looking a little lonely so I got the TK30 as a companion to it at christmas :D.

Now I have my top six lights sitting on my desk. My TK40 and TK30 towering over all, then my TK10 and Nitecore D10, then my 4Sevens Mini 123 and my Lummi Raw NS.

Regards from the land down under.

Rich_T23

Newly Enlightened
Ive just got hold of a TK40 to replace my old 2 D cell mag lite ( with a standard bulb in ) and, er, its somewhat brighter.
Its going to be interesting to see what other peoples reactions are to this later, especialy as most are used to nothing better than a standard mag.

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the TK40 as a bike light. I mount it to my handle bars using the TwoFish Cyclopblock. Unfortunately the strap that came with cyclopblock was a bit short so I had to make my own with some longer bits of velcro and a washer for the buckle and voila.

14012010143.jpg

For those wondering how stable it is, its not bad. The rubber of the cyclopblock doesnt move too much. I wouldnt recommend going fast down hill off the track. Little to medium bumps are ok. Suspension forks help too.

Now if I can find a red filter for the fenix MC-10, I'll have a good rear light.

Farhad Gulemov

Newly Enlightened
Speaking of red filters, has anybody ever seen one for the TK40? I could really use one.

Thanks!

Latest posts