TN40vn - Should T6vn be scared?!

drummer132132

Enlightened
Oh heck yeah! Forget what I said about skipping TN40vn & going straight to X65vn. At this attractive price of the TN40vnS, Spec 2 competes well with the X65vn, bang for the buck wise.

Indeed, it would be a choice of mass for the heat and or form factor. I have to say the huge spill and great throw of the TN40vn is nice but at the trade off of way more heat though I question the heat generated to the idea that it heatsinks very well to the outside efficiently aka gets hot quick.

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spec 2 is now $110 cheaper.. mad and i paid $460 for the same specs.. spec 2 is a good buy if you looking for a thrower.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not only is it a thrower. Go back to my 1st picture in post #444. Those other balconies are 100 feet away and lit ONLY by my TN40vn, Spec 4. Lots of spill too!

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeed, it is.

I think the TN40Svn Spec 2 XHP35 HI 5000K, Neutral max throw; ANSI Lumen: 8,700; Lux: 500K; Throw: 1,414m (and the previous TN40vn Spec 4) is (are) the closest thing(s) to the X65 beam profile, and at a nice price, too. :)

drummer132132

Enlightened
Anyone have any idea the heatsink ability of the TN40vn vs the TK75vnQ? Which is more efficient at getting rid of the heat? I know one generates more heat vs the other just due to led but taking that out of consideration which heatsinks better? Thanks all.

Vinh if you have insight with this chime in if you want.

I'm debating about upgrading my TK75vnQ to the TN40Svn since the hi emitter gives more illuminated spill vs a dedomed xml2 plus it's 3000 lumen and probably 200k more lux than my TK75vnQ so it's not a minor upgrade.

b8llzblue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have any idea the heatsink ability of the TN40vn vs the TK75vnQ? Which is more efficient at getting rid of the heat? I know one generates more heat vs the other just due to led but taking that out of consideration which heatsinks better? Thanks all.

I'm debating about upgrading my TK75vnQ to the TN40Svn since the hi emitter gives more illuminated spill vs a dedomed xml2 plus it's 3000 lumen and probably 200k more lux than my TK75vnQ so it's not a minor upgrade.

What are the numbers to your tk75vnQ? I don't think vinh redid the numbers to that light since he recalibrated his new light sphere with all new numbers to mostly just his newer releases lights. But if your light is not in the t6vn territory, I think it's a worth it kinda upgrade. I'm considering buying a tn40vns to upgrade my tm16gtvn and it has 422 kcd and 6000 lumens. Very similar to the t6vn. And if this thrunite has the same heat sinking abilities like his counterpart the tn46utvn, then I must say the tn40s has very good heatsinking....because the tn36vn and tn36utvn are the best I've seen in the same size same style lights.

drummer132132

Enlightened
What are the numbers to your tk75vnQ? I don't think vinh redid the numbers to that light since he recalibrated his new light sphere with all new numbers to mostly just his newer releases lights. But if your light is not in the t6vn territory, I think it's a worth it kinda upgrade. I'm considering buying a tn40vns to upgrade my tm16gtvn and it has 422 kcd and 6000 lumens. Very similar to the t6vn. And if this thrunite has the same heat sinking abilities like his counterpart the tn46utvn, then I must say the tn40s has very good heatsinking....because the tn36vn and tn36utvn are the best I've seen in the same size same style lights.

Yeah my specs were taken before the change of his sphere. Mine were 4800 lumen after 30 secs and 348k lux after 30 sec. With his new calibration they could be lower. The TN40vn would be a worthy upgrade for the same size light. The one big difference though would be heat since xhp35 hi vs xml2.

flybird

Newly Enlightened

+1 Would like to know how well of heat management on this TN40SVN.

drummer132132

Enlightened
+1 Would like to know how well of heat management on this TN40SVN.

From what I learned it has a thermal path equal to the TK75vnQ which is excellent. It will get hot quick since on turbo...you know...8700 lumen with excellent heat pathing at a medium mass light vs say the X65vn or RC40vnT which are much heavier. If I remember correctly 50% will get fairly warm in about 3-5 mins in normal room temp of ~68 which isn't surprising. 50% is probably close to the same output as my TK75vnQ at 100% which takes about 3-5 mins to get hot (50*Celsius). With mode group 11 there are 6 outputs so the first three would work well and should be plenty bright for most uses. Turbo with this light would be short bursts which in my opinion is the purpose of turbo.

flybird

Newly Enlightened
From what I learned it has a thermal path equal to the TK75vnQ which is excellent. It will get hot quick since on turbo...you know...8700 lumen with excellent heat pathing at a medium mass light vs say the X65vn or RC40vnT which are much heavier. If I remember correctly 50% will get fairly warm in about 3-5 mins in normal room temp of ~68 which isn't surprising. 50% is probably close to the same output as my TK75vnQ at 100% which takes about 3-5 mins to get hot (50*Celsius). With mode group 11 there are 6 outputs so the first three would work well and should be plenty bright for most uses. Turbo with this light would be short bursts which in my opinion is the purpose of turbo.

Understood. Thank you very much.

eekazum

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps a bit too early to ask this but does anyone know if the tn40s' battery carrier is designed to not fit with the tn36/tn30/etc? Sounds like a mistake that could easily be made with a little carelessness.

RJBoyle

Newly Enlightened
Vinh, Do I understand things right? Will the new TN40Svn Spec 2 I just ordered off the SkyLumen site be coming with the DriverVN4??

eekazum

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, no.

DriverVN4 is for mechanical switches.
The TN40vn and TN40Svn have electronic switches. DriverVNX2 handles e-switches.