• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

TN40vn - Should T6vn be scared?!

Indeed, it is.

I think the TN40Svn Spec 2 XHP35 HI 5000K, Neutral max throw; ANSI Lumen: 8,700; Lux: 500K; Throw: 1,414m (and the previous TN40vn Spec 4) is (are) the closest thing(s) to the X65 beam profile, and at a nice price, too. :)

Anyone have any idea the heatsink ability of the TN40vn vs the TK75vnQ? Which is more efficient at getting rid of the heat? I know one generates more heat vs the other just due to led but taking that out of consideration which heatsinks better? Thanks all.

Vinh if you have insight with this chime in if you want.

I'm debating about upgrading my TK75vnQ to the TN40Svn since the hi emitter gives more illuminated spill vs a dedomed xml2 plus it's 3000 lumen and probably 200k more lux than my TK75vnQ so it's not a minor upgrade.

Anyone have any idea the heatsink ability of the TN40vn vs the TK75vnQ? Which is more efficient at getting rid of the heat? I know one generates more heat vs the other just due to led but taking that out of consideration which heatsinks better? Thanks all.

I'm debating about upgrading my TK75vnQ to the TN40Svn since the hi emitter gives more illuminated spill vs a dedomed xml2 plus it's 3000 lumen and probably 200k more lux than my TK75vnQ so it's not a minor upgrade.

What are the numbers to your tk75vnQ? I don't think vinh redid the numbers to that light since he recalibrated his new light sphere with all new numbers to mostly just his newer releases lights. But if your light is not in the t6vn territory, I think it's a worth it kinda upgrade. I'm considering buying a tn40vns to upgrade my tm16gtvn and it has 422 kcd and 6000 lumens. Very similar to the t6vn. And if this thrunite has the same heat sinking abilities like his counterpart the tn46utvn, then I must say the tn40s has very good heatsinking....because the tn36vn and tn36utvn are the best I've seen in the same size same style lights.

What are the numbers to your tk75vnQ? I don't think vinh redid the numbers to that light since he recalibrated his new light sphere with all new numbers to mostly just his newer releases lights. But if your light is not in the t6vn territory, I think it's a worth it kinda upgrade. I'm considering buying a tn40vns to upgrade my tm16gtvn and it has 422 kcd and 6000 lumens. Very similar to the t6vn. And if this thrunite has the same heat sinking abilities like his counterpart the tn46utvn, then I must say the tn40s has very good heatsinking....because the tn36vn and tn36utvn are the best I've seen in the same size same style lights.

Yeah my specs were taken before the change of his sphere. Mine were 4800 lumen after 30 secs and 348k lux after 30 sec. With his new calibration they could be lower. The TN40vn would be a worthy upgrade for the same size light. The one big difference though would be heat since xhp35 hi vs xml2.

+1 Would like to know how well of heat management on this TN40SVN.

+1 Would like to know how well of heat management on this TN40SVN.

From what I learned it has a thermal path equal to the TK75vnQ which is excellent. It will get hot quick since on turbo...you know...8700 lumen with excellent heat pathing at a medium mass light vs say the X65vn or RC40vnT which are much heavier. If I remember correctly 50% will get fairly warm in about 3-5 mins in normal room temp of ~68 which isn't surprising. 50% is probably close to the same output as my TK75vnQ at 100% which takes about 3-5 mins to get hot (50*Celsius). With mode group 11 there are 6 outputs so the first three would work well and should be plenty bright for most uses. Turbo with this light would be short bursts which in my opinion is the purpose of turbo.

From what I learned it has a thermal path equal to the TK75vnQ which is excellent. It will get hot quick since on turbo...you know...8700 lumen with excellent heat pathing at a medium mass light vs say the X65vn or RC40vnT which are much heavier. If I remember correctly 50% will get fairly warm in about 3-5 mins in normal room temp of ~68 which isn't surprising. 50% is probably close to the same output as my TK75vnQ at 100% which takes about 3-5 mins to get hot (50*Celsius). With mode group 11 there are 6 outputs so the first three would work well and should be plenty bright for most uses. Turbo with this light would be short bursts which in my opinion is the purpose of turbo.

Understood. Thank you very much.

Perhaps a bit too early to ask this but does anyone know if the tn40s' battery carrier is designed to not fit with the tn36/tn30/etc? Sounds like a mistake that could easily be made with a little carelessness.

Vinh, Do I understand things right? Will the new TN40Svn Spec 2 I just ordered off the SkyLumen site be coming with the DriverVN4??

Sorry, no.

DriverVN4 is for mechanical switches.
The TN40vn and TN40Svn have electronic switches. DriverVNX2 handles e-switches.

Thanks eekazum!

Now that I think about it, I guess this is going to be my first Electronic Switched Light owned. Also my first DriverVN... light from Vinh. I did take a look at his DriverVN2 instructional video and it does look pretty straight forward. I hope:thinking:

Anyone have both the t6vn and tn40vn? If so, would it be possible to see a beam shot comparison of the two? I know vinh compared them, but I wanna see others. For the meantime, is the t6vn worth upgrading to a tn40vn? Is the lumen and throw noticeable?

It's raining so indoor beamshot. First photo is t6vn. 2nd is tn40vn 9000/500k lux. $70 difference. T6vn is only 5000 lumen and 433k lux... there is no doubt tn40vn is brighter..

free photo hosting
imgurl

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response with beam shot. I already have a tm16gtvn....pretty much identical performance to the t6vn. So I'm just trying to see if the upgrade is worth it. On paper, it seems totally worth it to purchase a new light to dethrone my tm16gtvn. But when looking at beam shots, the difference doesn't appear to be "too" much brighter. Maybe 2000 lumens max. Maybe in person or outdoor beamshot will show a bigger difference?
I know if I didn't already have the tm16gtvn, there's no doubt I'd already have purchased the tn40vn.

TN40Svn is going to give a few more positives. Get a nicer tint. Dedome could potentially give off a hint of green. Hi won't do that. Be decently brighter and more throw. Also have the ability to lockout the light with a twist. Always a nice feature. I almost went with the TN40Svn over the X65vn but I wanted a big light since I don't have a "big" light.

Pretty sure I know the answer, but just to confirm. The TN40 has a rechargeable battery pack and the TN40S is the same light with a removable pack, correct? If anyone has a tn40svn, can you confirm the bottom does not have a charge port and charge indicator light? Pic would be awesome. I think my tn40svn has a TN40 base