Too dumb for Arc4........whaaaaaaa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
the arc4 is easy

those who don't get it, just plain haven't spent enough time with it.
naturally some will pick it up more easily than others, but it's not nearly as complicated as some would make it out to be.

TheFire

Enlightened
Yeah... I played with the simulators and was sure that it would be way too complex. I didn't figure it out for a couple of days, but now it's really second nature. Give it a few weeks to settle in...

I don't know what I would do without the 4 levels of brightness - they're just so useful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (but do take a little while to sink it)

DaveH

Enlightened
I tried an ARC 4 on the BF passaround. I got it to work but came to the conclusion that I did not need all that complexity.
I picked up some other brands of lights, I like them better.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
a passaround really is a poor thing to do to test a light like this though, unless you get to keep it for a week or so.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Actually, if I'd kept the light I would have felt compelled to do 16 runtime plots on the thing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
well i suppose if theres any reason to get rid of an arc4, that'd be it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Dave Wright

Enlightened
At first I thought that I wouldn't use the Arc4 features. After Arc fixed the switch and I got used to its feel I quickly learned to use the menus and adjust the brightness settings. I then went into a phase where I was adjusting the brightness and options several times each day. Now I'm settling into a single set of brightnesses and rarely use any of the options. I'll rearrange the brightness settings for major prolonged events - like before a camping trip. It's good to know that the settings and brightness can be adjusted if the need should arise.

I also find that I am carrying it less than I used to. I only carry it when I am likely to need the multiple light levels, like when running at night. At work I tote an LSHF-P that is almost as bright as the Arc4 but runs more efficiently at those levels and is easy for coworkers to use when I hand it to them. I'll probably switch to the FFR2 when mine arrives. Around the house I carry an Inova 24/7, which I find handier since it can be set to light a ceiling.

I have been alarmed by how fast the Arc4 runs through batteries. You really need to run it at the moderate settings to get good battery life. My understanding is that the power supply efficiency drops off dramatically in the more powerful levels.

It's a ground breaking light, no doubt, but there is better to come.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
If its any consolation, I don't remember the menu order either. And I designed the thing! The last time I was in the menu was to show someone how it works. Day to day to use, I have it come on at L16 and I double click or push to get more light when I need it. I use rechargeable 123s and get about 2-3 weeks per cell.

I like things that save me time. Helps me spend more time reflecting on life instead of spinning in the hamster wheel. The way I use the Arc4, I typicaly press the button 2 or 3 times for a complete usage (turn on, pulse full power, turn off). I use the light mostly in the house at night and it already comes on at the level I use most of the time.

To give the Arc4 a fair chance, I recommend two things:

1. Treat is like a flashlight. Don't worry about the click and stand on your head and count to 5, etc. Just use it like any of your other flashlights. When you are ready to add another method, go for it. But only stick with what saves you time and batteries because if you use it right, it will do both. I believe that.

2. If you absolutely feel you are in some sort of race to figure the light out as fast as possible, give it a week. I felt like I had to master the light pretty quick when I got the first prototype but it still took me 4 days just to start liking the interface. I hated it the first couple of days. It drove me absolutely nuts. But now I use the light every day and don't give it a second thought. Why is that? It takes time for new connections to form in our brain and solidify. The first time I drove a car, it took all of my concentration. Now I can do it in my sleep.

Good luck guys.

Peter

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:The first time I drove a car, it took all of my concentration. Now I can do it in my sleep.

[/ QUOTE ]
No! Please don't do that! .-)

Actually I had the same troubles in the beginning. After a while it is no problem at all.
IMHO this design is about the optimum you can do to stay within the price/space frame.
And Peter, didn't you announce a 'simple' model with the next software release?

georget98

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PeLu said:
...And Peter, didn't you announce a 'simple' model with the next software release?...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Peter pointed out a "Lite" version of the Light would have all the same hardware, just part of the software turned off, so it wouldn't cost any less to make. Maybe he could charge more and tell us its the auto-setting model.

How about a tiny jumper inside the head to set it to only have a factory set primary and secondary, along with the press for boost and maybe triple click dim.

OK, maybe 2 jumpers, the other one would put it into LS mode, just one brightness. Then we could have threads here on setting the jumpers.

Likebright

Enlightened
I messed and messed with mine looked at the simulators and pushed till I was blue in the thumb. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif Then like an epiphany the thing suddenly started doing what they say it would. I programed it level 3 - level 7 and now I just injoy it. turning it on and off and click it into the brightness levels I want. 3 as the normal setting - 7 around the house at night with the boost setting as needed and 16 when I need to take a wiz or something in the dark and my eyes are in night mode.
Give it some time and you will soon get to enjoy it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Mike

Crash

Enlightened
half New Orleans, half Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Bouncer212
Have you read the advanced instructions? If not go to this thread: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/printthread.php?Board=UBB31&main=436125&type=post

The brightness settings are remembered across re-sets so they will remain at whatever you set them to.

Hold the light like you would hold a ball-point pen and start "clicking" the button. The light will go on and off and over about 15 clicks will adjust to the speed that YOU click. It is not hard, just different. You'll get used to it. Good Luck.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
crash, i love your sigline! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bouncer212

Newly Enlightened
I DID IT!!!!!!
Changed the Primary Brightness Setting..
Whoever said just live with it and wait a week had the right idea
(In my case)
Thanks for your help......
ethan

W4DIZ

Enlightened
Glad to hear you got it Bouncer212.I will be playing with my new ARC4 very soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nonbox

Banned
IMO, all the light levels are unnecessary. The majority of flashaholics were happy with the LS which only goes on and off. Do the light levels jeopardize the reliability of the arc 4? I think the novelty of the multi levels will wear off. Keep it simple.

nisshin

Enlightened
When people hear about the levels and options available for the Arc4, they naturally assume the flashlight is some complex beast. But in actual use, you see only two levels: high and low. And if you dispense with the double clicking, then you only see one level: it is either on or off. Voila! It's back to the simple ol' Arc LS again! Just make sure your fingers aren't click-happy!

Dave Wright

Enlightened
Many of us already have dozens of lights, which makes the Arc4's flexibility less important. I would use the Arc4 more after bedtime except that I already have a CMG Infinity on my nightstand. I would carry my Arc4 at work except that my LSHF-P does as good a job poking above ceilings in a lighter, smaller, and more durable package that can be handed to coworkers.

But what if you only had 1 light? The Arc4's levels would be used a whole lot then. Actually, that's when I carry the Arc4 - when I figure there's a good chance that I'll need its flexibility. I've made no secret of the Arc4's switch and reliability issues. Nevertheless it ends up in my pocket quite often. 2 levels won't cut it after I've gotten used to 16, which makes the Arc4 the only viable variable brightness light available at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.