• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

TOOLvn- Best IMR10440 Clicky of 2015

Prepped

Enlightened
my toolvn broke after only using it for 3 min total not all at once. i got the single mode version. it was crazy bright then out of nowhere the output dropped to like 3 lumens. i thought maybe the battery was out but it stayed at 3 lumens with a fully charged cell. UGH it was like my favorite light to, vinh will get it fixed so its no real big deal. i have the worse luck

From what I've heard about Vinh, he will take good care of you. This was a major factor in my purchasing of this light. I'm extremely happy with mine, just be patient and you will be too! Now I just need to save up some more cash to buy another...It's never ending!

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I've heard about Vinh, he will take good care of you. This was a major factor in my purchasing of this light. I'm extremely happy with mine, just be patient and you will be too! Now I just need to save up some more cash to buy another...It's never ending!
Alex knows this as he's an advid Vinh fan. Just sucks missing out on using his favorite light.

Prepped

Enlightened
Alex knows this as he's an advid Vinh fan. Just sucks missing out on using his favorite light.

Had I of looked at his signature, I might of inferred that, haha.
Best of luck, hope you get it figured out quickly and get to enjoy your light.

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
i dont remember the last time i bought a stock light lol. Vinh has completely infected my mind and all i can buy now is Vinh lights now :) why buy a stock light when i can get the same light from vinh thats brighter and has more throw

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
i dont remember the last time i bought a stock light lol. Vinh has completely infected my mind and all i can buy now is Vinh lights now :) why buy a stock light when i can get the same light from vinh thats brighter and has more throw

Exactly but two other things - there usually isn't a lot in price difference and Vinh is going thru each light and correcting any issues from the manufacturer, i.e. the QC is much better.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to report my experience with TOOLvn during a backpacking trip this past weekend. First of all, my hiking buddies were astounded by the light output on high. This reaction was totally expected as I was astounded as well when I first unboxed the flashlight.

In addition, I am now in awe of the practical use of this light. Over three consecutive nights, I used the light for an estimated total of 2 hours on the lowest & next to lowest setting. Plus I flashed it on high for approximately 15 seconds, four times. The TOOLvn still appears as bright as it did when the battery was fresh.

The spot & filled are perfectly blended together, which is what I look for in a light to be used.

My confidence in the TOOLvn has earned it a permanent place in my camping kit as a compliment to my headlamp.

ven

Flashaholic
:rock::rock::rock::rock::party::party::party::party::party: Callums words " i love vinh"

He is made up vinh, he has been so excited waiting and just picked him up from school with the news his vinh light has come............happy is an understatement. Thank you !!!!!

2 thumbs up

What a great little light, i cant believe how bright it is:faint: and the v54 engraving is just amazing..........

Thanks for everything vinh, you have made callums day/week/month/year:D

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
:rock::rock::rock::rock::party::party::party::party::party: Callums words " i love vinh"

He is made up vinh, he has been so excited waiting and just picked him up from school with the news his vinh light has come............happy is an understatement. Thank you !!!!!

2 thumbs up

What a great little light, i cant believe how bright it is:faint: and the v54 engraving is just amazing..........

Thanks for everything vinh, you have made callums day/week/month/year:D

Aww he look so bright :) Got Dad's eyes!

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to report my experience with TOOLvn during a backpacking trip this past weekend. First of all, my hiking buddies were astounded by the light output on high. This reaction was totally expected as I was astounded as well when I first unboxed the flashlight.

In addition, I am now in awe of the practical use of this light. Over three consecutive nights, I used the light for an estimated total of 2 hours on the lowest & next to lowest setting. Plus I flashed it on high for approximately 15 seconds, four times. The TOOLvn still appears as bright as it did when the battery was fresh.

The spot & filled are perfectly blended together, which is what I look for in a light to be used.

My confidence in the TOOLvn has earned it a permanent place in my camping kit as a compliment to my headlamp.
I want to augment my report now that I've put the battery in the charger. As soon as it hit the charger it read 3.99 volts! The majority of its energy was still in the battery, meaning that on the lower settings, this light has a long runtime! I am even more impressed with this flashlight as I uncover it's secrets.

vudoo

Enlightened
Vinh, I would like to order:

Toolvn
XPL HI 5000k
Triple layer copper heat sink
V54 engraved
International shipping

Total $132 sent via PayPal

When you send this light pls include my VT25 battery and Eagletac switch.

daflip702

Newly Enlightened
City for losing your mind/wallet AKA Las Vegas
XPL HI has larger hot spot and put out more lumens. XPG2 PDT has a smaller hot spot and more throw. Vinh recommend XPL HI and he has never lead ne wrong. Definitely get the VN2 driver and the extra heat sink. They'll be worth it. Not sure on temperature, I guess it depends on what you like.

that's interesting. I have a XPL-HI p60 and the hotspot is slightly larger than my XRE p60 (the real throw king LED) with a way more intense middle. The reflectors look identical aside from the orange peel. Could some else enlighten me? I always thought that the dedomed version, aka XPL-HI (and not HD) was to create more throw?

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
that's interesting. I have a XPL-HI p60 and the hotspot is slightly larger than my XRE p60 (the real throw king LED) with a way more intense middle. The reflectors look identical aside from the orange peel. Could some else enlighten me? I always thought that the dedomed version, aka XPL-HI (and not HD) was to create more throw?

Don't take my word for it, but as I understand it, the XPG2 PDT is dedomed. The XPL-HI is sort of dedomed but a thin coating is left on the emitter.

All else being equal (it never is) the XPG2 is generally the go to choice for a thrower.

Having said that, the XPG2 is a small emitter and doesn't always get along with the reflector. Case in point is the K40Lvn, where the XPL PDT outgunned the XPG2 PDT.

If I've gone astray, please correct me.

Last edited:

daflip702

Newly Enlightened
City for losing your mind/wallet AKA Las Vegas
Don't take my word for it, but as I understand it, the XPG2 PDT is dedomed. The XPL-HI is sort of dedomed but a thin coating is left on the emitter.

All else being equal (it never is) the XPG2 is generally the go to choice for a thrower.

Having said that, the XPG2 is a small emitter and doesn't always get along with the reflector. Case in point is the K40Lvn, where the XPL PDT outgunned the XPG2 PDT.

If I've gone astray, please correct me.

Thanks Much for the info. I'm ordering a Toolvn to replace my Fenix LD02 as soon as funding permits. I'd say more flood with neutral tint is better for my tasks though.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Much for the info. I'm ordering a Toolvn to replace my Fenix LD02 as soon as funding permits. I'd say more flood with neutral tint is better for my tasks though.
I got the XPL-HI 5000K and it's a neutral white to my eye. Also, it floods with a gentle hot spot. I think it's perfect for close-up work. I can't imagine anyone not be pleasantly surprised by this light.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the result of my runtime experiment on the TOOLvn. Take this with a grain, make that a pound of salt. I'm no selfbuilt and I put the "A" in amature. The only instruments used were my eyeballs & cell phone.

I ran this indoors during daylight with air-conditioning running at 76°F. (I know it's fall but it's 95° outside. Welcome to South Florida). Batteries used were new high drain Efest 10440 V1 IMR 350mAh, fully charged to 4.2V. No fan was used. I just layed the flashlight on the kitchen countertop while I performed other chores.

I turned the flashlight on to its highest setting and started my cell phone stopwatch.

And the answers is...... wait for it.... wait for it.... wait for it.... OK, I got tired of waiting and turned it off at 4 hours & 10 minutes! Have you ever stared at a flashlight for 4 straight hours? (just kidding).

This light reminds me of the little engine that could! Choo-choo, chug-chug.

The light seemed to gradually dim throughout the test. Perhaps there was some series of step-downs that my calibrated eyeballs could not discern in the daylight setting. But, to my eye it looked like a direct drive type curve.

During the test, I picked the flashlight to hold in my hand (that was my temperature sensor). For the first 10 minutes the head was uncomfortably hot, but the handle never became hot. Then the head was cool for the remainder of the test and I could hold both the head and the handle without sensing any heat.

At the end of the test, the TOOLvn looked very dim in daylight, so I took it into a 6'x6' walk-in closet & shut the door. Standing in the center of the closet and panning the light, I could identify all my clothing, including colors. So, it still was producing useable light, up close, in a totally dark environment.

Since I had so much time on my hands, I downloaded a light meter app to my phone. I calibrated it with another known light. Then I used it to check the TOOLvn. At the 4 hour, 10 minute mark it measured 2 lux. Even though this is not a quality light meter, the reading was in the ballpark of what I was seeing.

I then put the batteries into my charger and found the voltage was at 3.49V.

Perhaps Vinh can address any series of step-downs that would have occurred, undetected by my visual observation in daylight which looked like a gradual fade.

Given my result of 4 hours &10 minutes until I became bored and the 3.49V left in the battery, I would suspect this flashlight would run for 5-6 hours, set to the highest setting and all day on the lower settings, all with a gradual decline of output.

I hope this is helpful in some way. I love this light and I think Vinh has developed a most astonishing, brilliant light for its diminutive size. It's a shock when first turned on! By the way, mine weighs 1 ounce including battery.

Last edited: