ToolVN or PrinceVN

outofthedarkness

Enlightened
Was dead set on the ToolVN then just seen the PrinceVN

Whats your opinions on both of these lights?

I know the Prince is bigger but by how much? And is the extra size worth the extra power or is the Tool more WOW? :duh2:

ohitsjerico

Newly Enlightened
IMO, the biggest differences between the two would be heat management and battery capacity. The ToolVN, even in copper, gets really hot really fast on turbo. Also, 10440s only have about ~700mAh for the high drains. Both of these issues are fixed (at least partially) in the PrinceVN with more copper mass and the ability to use a high capacity (and high drain) 18650, like the LG HG2. The only trade-off is that it's bigger. If you're planning on just flashing turbo on the ToolVN every now and again, you might be fine with just that, though.

Here's a picture i found online: http://cdn.everydaycarry.com/thumbnails/16-07-07/1577ecc216204a.jpg
(Not my picture)

Last edited:

outofthedarkness

Enlightened
Hmmm this is tough. I do like the look of the toolvn but the points you make are very valid indeed. Currently on my keys I have an Ultratac K18 which I run on 10440 efests and its kicking out 360 lumens stock and is pretty impressive for such a small stock light. I really thought the toolvn being copper would be a good heat conductor. I am yet to read any reviews of the princevn not sure how popular it is..... Do u own one? Is the heat management good with this light?

ohitsjerico

Newly Enlightened
Well, I own neither of these specific lights but I do own lights with similar form factors. Copper is better at heat sinking, but with such small mass, it will still heat up quickly. I actually tend to go for lower output lights when it comes in the size of the ToolVN, like the Peak Eiger, just because high output tiny lights seem like a novelty. IMO, the best Vinh lights are the multi-cell lights like the K70vn or the TN36UTvn.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually tend to go for lower output lights when it comes in the size of the ToolVN, like the Peak Eiger, just because high output tiny lights seem like a novelty.

Ah, but that's the beauty of the ToolVN and DriverVN. I have mine set for 6 levels (1% thru 100%) using the lowest levels for battery conservation and only use full power if needed. 700 lumen from a light that fits in my closed fist - amazing!

jso902

Enlightened
Toolvn has a Lotta wow... but I sure misplace it a lot.

Ask yourself what're you going to use it for.
The princevn looks like good heat management with a more refined battery and battery life.
I use a haiku more because It doesn't get lost as easily.

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
My motto when deciding between 2 lights buy them both. They will both have different uses and you know if they come from vinh they are both excellent choices and extremely well made.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, asking others which one is better only gets you so far. In the end, you just have to try it yourself!

ven

Flashaholic
Thrower or flooder? :nana:
IMO the TOOLvn has more WOW as not expected for its size.
Seriously, completely different lights, 10440 and 350mah and 18650 with up to 3500mah...........Presume triple option on the prince, then a huge hot spot=lots of flood and decent reach. TOOLvn is a great size for easy carry, slips anywhere with ease and not intrusive...............well depends where it has slipped! :faint:

apples n oranges
Beam of TOOLvn, soft hot spot and spill from the xpg2 neutral

PriceCvn all hot spot from the xpl HI's

So again you need both or simply pick which one you want the most and which one you will use the most 1st..................then get the other:whistle:

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
funny enough, even though Toolvn is still one of my fav vn lights, when I show people, I don't seem to get the oohs and aahs Im expecting. I think it's partly do with them knowing Im gonna impress them with something spectacular and it falls short. also, this light uses a tiny battery so it doesn't take long for output to drop. EDC'ing this light almost requires a backup battery on hand.

outofthedarkness

Enlightened
Still a bit undecided between the 2 lights

Any more imput?

Does anyone know if the Prince has a moonlight mode and a strobe?

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I use the Toolvn more, I'm realizing the limitation caused by high output and low battery capacity. Thing is, output doesn't appear all that bad but when battery tested with zts, no bars at all! I sometimes have trouble 8-clicking for the battery level on the Toolvn. For an edc, I'd recommend carrying an extra battery

outofthedarkness

Enlightened
As I use the Toolvn more, I'm realizing the limitation caused by high output and low battery capacity. Thing is, output doesn't appear all that bad but when battery tested with zts, no bars at all! I sometimes have trouble 8-clicking for the battery level on the Toolvn. For an edc, I'd recommend carrying an extra battery

What cells are you using?

I will carry a spare 10440 with me but don't forget thats what the lower modes are for, doesn't always have to be turbo, as nice as it may be lol

I am waiting for Vinh to build mine and I cannot wait.......

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Efest from battery junction. It's hard not to run on high modes. I haven't edc this light bc I don't pocket carry and don't have a belt pouch for not yet

hhmoore

Newly Enlightened
I have both, and like both. The ToolVN comes to work with me, due to the size; and I have a spare battery and charger in my pack. Outside of work; it is most likely the PrinceVN (or Olight copper S2) that's in my pocket because the extra size isn't an issue.

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
Tool for the win. It's always with me and is one hell of a backup. You can hardly tell the beam VS the larger 1000 Lumen lights like the P12 and M1X for example. I carry an olight i3E as a spare battery carrier. It's a backup so runtime is no concern. Plus I like smalls....

Latest posts