Toughest EDC Folder?

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
cbxer55, I've EDCed a Benchmade 710 for over a decade now. In that time I've had ONE omega spring break. Now, since the Axis lock uses two springs, my lock never failed. I've had several other Axis lock knives in my time as well and none of those have ever failed. The failure rate on the Axis locks is better than most other systems. Your concerns are frankly unfounded.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could consider Bradley Alias, which is basically a less expensive version of the Sebenza. I have to say though that most knifenuts are opposed to the idea of purchasing a copied knife design.

You could also consider a Benchmade Skirmish or Mini Skirmish. These are framelocks as well.

I personally prefer gentlemen folders such as the Lone Wolf Doug Ritter MK4. It's strong enough for what I need a knife for and it's small, lightweight, and easy to carry.

strideredc

Enlightened
cbxer55, I've EDCed a Benchmade 710 for over a decade now. In that time I've had ONE omega spring break. Now, since the Axis lock uses two springs, my lock never failed. I've had several other Axis lock knives in my time as well and none of those have ever failed. The failure rate on the Axis locks is better than most other systems. Your concerns are frankly unfounded.

i had a 705 and it saw more action than ''action jackson'', it never failed but it did end up with a fair bit of up and down play in the axis lock:shakehead

a strider gb? solid as hell, but finnished by a monkey, i wont ever sell mine:whistle:

gjg

Enlightened
Kershaw Cyclone (but it´s a little heavy...)

I'll second the Cyclone. :D I picked up a used Ti Cyclone with a ZDP189 blade for about $100 trade value. Didn't like it too much when it got it, but now it's the FIRST thing I go for when I want a tough knife. Looks like hell, the scales and coated blade are now "scuff" finish, but the thing stays sharp a long time, opens with a nice snap ("assisted" opening), and locks up bank vault. Good, usable blade shape too. A winner, and not too heavy in Ti.
gg

AncientSword

Newly Enlightened
My EDC has been a BM CQC-7 for the last 13 years. I love it and it has been through hell and back. I see them for under $100 all the time lately ...

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I've never seen a Sebenza other than in pics but my understanding is that my Benchmade Pinnacle is a fairly good representation of one and I've got to say it is one of my favorite knives and probably should have listed it instead of the 525 for 'toughest' choice.

Has anyone here had the opportunity to compare these two, the Sebenza and Pinnacle?

Still looking to get one of the smaller Sebenza's and this Pinnacle's not going anywhere! :thumbsup:
I ended up with a small Sebenza and like it quite a bit, but as with my Pinnacle, found myself back using my 525, 705 and 710.

Even though I prefer the other knives for my daily purposes, if I had to choose the knife to last till the end of time with no chance of repairs, it would probably end up being my Pinnacle.

However I'm probably going to end up selling one or both of the Pinnacle and Sebenza, my two most bullet-proof knives.

Joe_Karp

Newly Enlightened
I'm a Benchmade fan. Here's my list: 710, 520, 615 and HK14205. For folders these are hard to beat, IMO. :thumbsup:

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
I can think of any number of things you can do with a Benchmade Skirmish, a Zero Tolerance folder, etc etc that would completely destroy a Victorinox. Handy, yes. Tough? Not so much.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
To each his own, I guess.
That was Ericks point. This thread's focus is on the toughest folder, not which you would prefer or I think is handiest, but which is the most durable.
Most of believe that although the SAK might rank well for many reasons, it's not by any means going to be tougher than a Sebenza.

jbosman1013

Enlightened
When it comes to tough a ZT 0200 or 0300 is about as tough as it gets but if you normally carry a delica that might be more knife than you want. Personally I would go with a para military in either CPM-D2 or S30V, The compression lock is very strong the ergonomics are perfect and its cutting ability is off the charts.
Another one to look at is the kershaw spec bump, not easy to sharpen but it excels in utility.

hatethatgiraffe

Newly Enlightened
Can't go wrong with the axis lock knives from benchmade IMO

Have a mini rukus, full size grip and a mini presidio!
All stand up to every day use!

But the knife I would absolutely rely on time and again is my mini manix from spyderco!

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rick Hinderer XM-18
Chris Reeve Sebenza
Strider
Emerson CQC-12
Benchmade Rukus

would be my choices. Save up and get a good one (like a Sebbie), it's most definitely worth it.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends what you use it for as far as durability. A 1/4" thick bladed folder as your anti-tank weapon, it will do mundane tasks like cutting steaks and veggies for generations. I've carried one of my "gent's folders" for 9+ years now and it's seen garden use, digging out termites from fruit trees, pruning plants/flowers... It will out last me if used within design limits.

Finding a sub $100 folder is easy and the above are fine examples. The Sebbies are way more durable than needed but it is nice to have a well crafted tool on hand. Treat yourself...a nice knife is a joy to use. :D

As you can see I'm promoting some of my fellow makers in these economic times. :D

Onuris

Newly Enlightened
I would strongly recommend a Kershaw Storm, or if you like an assisted-opener, a Kershaw Blur. Wal-Mart carries both of them, the Storm is $30, the Blur $55. Made in USA, extremely well made and exceptionally tough knifes, esp for the price, as are most Kershaws.

Archie Cruz

Banned
If it's built like a tank, then it's either a Hummer or a Tank. Seriously, I cut with my knives and the knives that cut best are NOT built like tanks at all.
BTW, what are you using your knife for?:poke: