Travel Light

Illum

Flashaholic
price aside, first estimate the possible locations at the destination that may require the utilization of a light, then approximate a ball park runtime. this will give you something to work with in terms of bringing spare cells.

For long runtime and mimizing battery changes would probably go with the E2L new two stage KX2. [I own the single stage KX2 and I find the output pattern to be more useful than any other LED+optics lights I have]. Its not horribly expensive, but it will cost you a bit.
Something low profile usually minimizes the chance of it being stolen from onlooker's interest, I prefer a 2xcr123A size but thats a user's preference.
Instead of carrying an array of different lights, traveling usually consists of rudimentary components where I have kept at 3 lights maximum, unless of course you have accompanying family, bring a one light for each and make sure they know how to use it. :huh:
I used to carry the aviator but I found out it eats up cells pretty quick especially when you use the xenon function intermittently:green:

Uber high powered or multifunctions also tend to arouse interest...especially when your traveling to Asian countries.

heres my ideal lights for traveling, I selected these because they fit my needs/criterias, they don't necessarily able to mee yours ;)
Long runtime/non-expendable: E2L-CREE 2 stage, inova X5
Cheap/Expendable: Dorcy 1 watt [cr123A version], Pak-lite basic [$10 each, runs basically forever, design makes it interently water resistant.

heres my rule of thumb, for a week long trip: bright at least one set of spare cells for every light you have. For a month long trip, bring at least 2 sets of spares for the lights you think you will need the most. as for longer tripes spanning more than 3 months? I dunno. I dont have that kind of privilege to go vacationing without income. :nana:

Also, don't leave all your eggs in one basket:thumbsup:

Last edited:

brucec

Enlightened
I don't think you can go wrong with the L1D Q5. D10 is one of the best choices out there, but not much of a track record yet and no strobe, if that's important to you. It's hard to beat the proven Fenix series.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the L2D and L1D tube for traveling and have decided it's not the best set up for me, for two main reasons: overly-complicated UI and the low is not low enough.

The UI on the L2D is just too much... all I've ever needed is a low and high, not a low, medium, high, very high, signal and strobe (the strobe is somewhat pointless to me). Secondly, the low is not low enough - way too bright for reading or even for stumbling around a dark house, tent or hotel room. Moreover, there's that bright flash when switching the flashlight straight to low... very annoying. ...
First of all, there's no bright flash when I switch the L2D or L1D to low. Secondly, the L2D and L1D do not have a complicated UI. It's a very functional UI, not complicated.

Those who judge the Fenix L2D/L1D UI to be complicated just surprise the heck out of me. It's one of the simpler UIs. Maybe the better description for you is "more settings than you prefer" but certainly not complicated.

seattlite

Enlightened
I travel all the time...domestic and international. I have lots of lights, custom and off the shelf. The one light I take with me all the time is my Novatac 120P and extra RCR123's. I have my programed for High-3rd from the bottom low-strobe.

I would have carried a Fenix(smaller) but I prefer to carry the light in my pocket with a pocket clip.