Tri-V Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

RIDE

Enlightened
What can I say...I am VERY lucky indeed. Shortly after the Tri-V was announced quite a few months ago, I knew I had to have it. I began the long process of saving up...selling off most every other flashlight I had, along with a few other goodies. As time went by...I drained the funds a bit...got worried...then sold more stuff off...and repeated that process more than a few times! :crackup:

Fast forward to now...and I still can't believe that I was able to land the first of the Tri-Vs that went to someone other than the beta testers. #0405 will be with me always!

I have owned quite a few amazing lights over the years...and have had the pleasure to handle most of the cool stuff that has been created. For some reason, I was not compelled to carry many of them. Not sure why...but they just sat on shelves to be admired, and eventually were sold off. I consider myself a user that enjoys collecting...so if I don't see myself using it, I eventually sell it off.

So one would naturally think that a light like the Tri-V would be destined to sit on a shelf due to it's sheer cost and overall beauty. But the Tri-V envokes the opposite emotion in me...it begs me to carry it and use it. :grin2: Ant that is what I have done since I got it...and I can't see that changing anytime soon. Oh and to prove it...I had it with me this afternoon when I spent Mother's Day with my wife and mother in-law at the Oakland A's game. It must have brought us luck....we witnessed the 19th perfect game in Major League history! :grin2:

The Tri-V is sight to behold for sure...it's beautiful, industrial, elegant, rugged, and drop dead sexy...all in one package. And Dave did so well to make it quite ergonomic to use...everything is so well laid out. Turn the knob and you feel the quality...click-click-click...crisp, solid, and precise.

Like some of the beta testers...I am still using my light with the stock set up Dave went with. Don't get me wrong...I am DEFINITELY going to customize mine. Why? Did Dave not set it up perfectly? Absolutely not...it is quite ideal as Dave has it. I will mess with mine for the simple reason that I CAN! :nana:

But in stock mode, this light quickly shows you what it can do. It's already been said that there other other lights that will give the Tri-V a run for it's money when it comes to pure throwing power. But NONE of them can do all the things the Tri-V can.

The first click to low is such a great setting...perfect for when you don't need too much and need to poke around the house a bit without waking up the wife ;) The next 3 clicks take you through three very useful variation of the XPG. I like color this light puts out...just enough warmth to make it quite perfect. I like it more and more the more I use it.

Next takes you to the MC-E....DAMN what a perfect flood! I think Karl said it was lantern like...and that really is a great description. It's like turning on a warm lightbulb in a room...I know that I will really enjoy all the uses this will give me.

Next is the XR-E..............HOLY CRAP! This is a throw monster! And I have yet to crank her up either! I still can't believe how much light is coming out of this head...it's mind blowing!

I will be reporting more as I play with mine and begin to play with customizing it. I also have some AW IMR16340 550 mAh IMR CR123 on the way...and will report back on their performance in comparison to the Surefire primaries.

Oh and the best part...right after I got it, I emailed Dave a question and within a few minutes...my phone rang. It was Dave calling to chat live...and make sure I had all my questions answered. That was SO cool...and really made that initial unveiling even that much more special.

I know this is a boat load of money, but I can sincerely say that it is money well spent. This is a light that can practically do it all...and certainly more than anything else ever produced. But the best part is that I am not afraid to carry it...the Tri-V may need a bit more care than it's brother the 007....but it's not delicate either. It beggs to be used, and has the performance to earn it too

**I am going to try and find the perfect case for it. I have one inbound that appears to be a great fit...and I will let you all know how it works out. I also have a lanyard/wrist strap on the way that I think will be awesome.

Thanks again Dave!

RIDE

SPYTri-V4.jpg

SPYTri-V3.jpg

SPYTri-V5.jpg

SPYTri-V2.jpg

SPYTri-V7.jpg

SPYTri-V6.jpg

SPYTri-V8.jpg

gtwace

Enlightened
Dave did say he is going to built one for every CPF member who wants it, so it really isn't that special haha, just kidding.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome Steve, now just three words "stop that please":sssh:
Well one more "thanks" for turning me onto this site just before Dave released the last round of SPY's.
I soooo want one of these too:D, may have to move a couple things first as had a few repairs around the house that used up a bit of the funds.
Enjoy #405.

mikes1

Enlightened
Thanks for shareing your initial impression RIDE, very nice It conveyed just how important the Try-V is not only on a personal leval but also in terms of Flashlight inovation VERY COOL!

I too have been looking for a suitable case I saw THIS when I was up the shops yesterday. It looks about right and it is nicely constructed from leather I will give it a try when I can put my Tri-V in it before I buy.

What lanyard have you found?

Mike

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I AM jealous---you taught #0405 to climb already and took him to the ballgame!! I've had mine out on hikes and some late night search missions but not to a ballgame...yet! ;) Good luck and great post!

Karl

fasteddie

Enlightened
Great pics. I look at my 007 now and it looks like there is something missing. Can't wait for the next batch of tri-v.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tonight discoverEDC was in the area for work and we were able to get together to have some flashlight fun!
The look on his face was great as he clicked through the knob settings of the Tri-V.:naughty:
It's really nice to be able to share this amazing light with others.
Both of us have been watching the Tri-V thread from the beginning and had a chance to discuss it during last years Michigan CPF get-together.

He was inspired by Daves vision and set out to create his own Tri-V Tribute light.
Well tonight he brought his finished light with him to show and compare to the "real deal"
It was cool seeing the "concept" transfered over to a D-Mini 18650, thus allowing him to have some of the funcionality of the Tri-V minus the multi-levels/ programing and titanium package.
It had 3 different beams...Aspheric, Reflector and Flood all accessed by twisting the head to switch between beams!:eek::twothumbs
Needless to say, we had a great time and it was nice to see what some inspiration can do for someone!

While watching my brothers dog last week, we set out to go for a walk around the neighborhood after dark, during which I was able to reprogram the Tri-V while walking the dog....its just that easy!!:naughty:
Before I would always load up the backpack with a whole slew of different lights when heading out somewhere.
Now I feel comfortable leaving and bringing just the Tri-V & 007 .......and maybe a few others.
But considering what the Tri-V is capable of, it has replaced most of the other lights I would normally take with me.

Dave,
Did you get a chance to make that video showing how to lock in the memory setting for PU1? .. :popcorn:
I keep reprograming it, but would like to save some of the different combos so that I can choose from the memorized settings.
Even if you can more clearly elaborate on how this is done, it would be of great help....its the last thing I need to learn to fully use the features allowed.
Thanks!:wave:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
DaFABRICATA, there are new videos posted in the first post. One covers the PU1.

But it is so simple to use; execute a PU1, set knob to position you want to recall (P1 through P4). What ever configuration you were on will be stored.

The light comes to you in configuration 1.

When you switch to any other config it will do a cal to factory settings because all the other config slots are empty.

Cheers
Dave

mendhammarsh

Enlightened
Yesterday, May 11 I picked up my long awaited TRI-V at Dave's Cave. I knew what to expect since I had seen the TRI-V at several Photon Fests. What I was not familiar with was Dave's operation. The parts, machinery, test rigs, circuit boards, custom tools and all the engineering that that goes behind each TRI-V is phenomenal. The process of assembly is similar to building a fine Swiss watch. The TRI-V is an engineering marvel and is well worth the price. In a small package, you have warm flood, cool reflector, aspheric for throw and many programming options. Thank you Dave for your hard work and excellent design.

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yesterday, May 11 I picked up my long awaited TRI-V at Dave's Cave. I knew what to expect since I had seen the TRI-V at several Photon Fests. What I was not familiar with was Dave's operation. The parts, machinery, test rigs, circuit boards, custom tools and all the engineering that that goes behind each TRI-V is phenomenal. The process of assembly is similar to building a fine Swiss watch. The TRI-V is an engineering marvel and is well worth the price. In a small package, you have warm flood, cool reflector, aspheric for throw and many programming options. Thank you Dave for your hard work and excellent design.

...Not sure if Dave mentioned this to you when you picked yours up, but, I think you need a permit to carry a Tri-V in the state of New Jersey. Just a heads up... :eek:

mendhammarsh

Enlightened
...Not sure if Dave mentioned this to you when you picked yours up, but, I think you need a permit to carry a Tri-V in the state of New Jersey. Just a heads up... :eek:

My paperwork is in order. Thank you for your concern Dizzy.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Marshall, thanks for the immediate correction!!! :eek: For a second there I thought I was terribly insulted!!! :confused: Confusing ME with Dizzy????:thumbsdow:thumbsdow :laughing:

Karl

mikes1

Enlightened
I have had my Tri-V for a few days now but because I have been on the late shift I have not realy had much time to put it through its paces.
I do however want to post my limited first impressions. The first thing I noticed is in apperance it is flawless:eek: it is asteticly very pleasing and just appears perfect
The colour of the flood emiter is unusual, to my eyes is beyond incan it creates a beautiful warm field of light. If you came in to a dark house after being out in the cold an turned it on it would be like lighting a fire
I was suprised how (even on standard config) powerful the reflector is this is my first light with an XPG, it dose a great job
I have not realy tryed out the aspheric in a meaningfull way
I am looking forward to programing when I get some time off work
Also still looking for the right carry case/pouch
More to follow

Thanks Dave and team

Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.