Triple XML vs single XML 27mm Ahorton aspheric

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK here is a comparison of a single XML ( T6 1a bin???) with a Aspheric lens vs the Cute3 +-9.5 degree optic with triple XML ( U2 1b Bin)
Single XML scores just over 10,000 lux while triple scores just under 10,000 lux.

I have not yet mounted the triple on a heat sink so can only run it for 1 or 2 seconds.

First thoughts is that this set up produces a huge amount of light. But its projected over a wide area. There is no tight central spot. Wouldnt be my first choice for low vis conditions but perhaps a great light for clear water low light conditions.

XML27mmaspheric.jpg

XMLx3.jpg

XMLvsXMLx3.jpg

CKOD

Enlightened
Nice work, but what are you driving the aspheric at? 3A? 10K lux (@ 1M?) seems awfully low. Where in the spot are you measuring at? If youre doing it centrally I'd expect 15-18k CP with upto 25-30k CP if you measure between the indentations where the bondwires are on the mounted. The 1A tint bin is a very cool tint bin, which could explain it some, I.E. the lux meter isnt as sensitve to that as it would be a warmer bin. Your focus looks similar to what I'm using, just a tad off of the "grid" being visible.

Any clues to what sort of host this is going in?

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
The aspheric is in a W200 although I have also done one in a Diverite 10w HID head.

I am using a KD P7 driver. I have not measured the current but the drivers are rated at either 2.8 or 3 amp depending on what specs you read.

Interesting thing is the triple is also being run off the same type of driver with a 12v NiMh battery pack. Its a series triple XML so each is getting 2.8-3 amp!!

This is going into a Greenforce light head for a customer.

To be honest I dont put a lot of faith in my lux meter. Its a great little tool for comparing one light to another but not other lights measured with another lux meter.

Codiak

Enlightened
Funny thing is those are the same builds I'm playing with... If my o ring dealer had delivered on time I'd have dove the ahorton list past weekend. Now I'll have enough time to break it down and redue it, argh!

CKOD

Enlightened
The aspheric is in a W200 although I have also done one in a Diverite 10w HID head.

I am using a KD P7 driver. I have not measured the current but the drivers are rated at either 2.8 or 3 amp depending on what specs you read.

Interesting thing is the triple is also being run off the same type of driver with a 12v NiMh battery pack. Its a series triple XML so each is getting 2.8-3 amp!!

This is going into a Greenforce light head for a customer.

To be honest I dont put a lot of faith in my lux meter. Its a great little tool for comparing one light to another but not other lights measured with another lux meter.

Ahh fair enough, 2 meters with 10% (or worse) accuracy + color temp differences makes for a good bit difference.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK some out door pics.
1st is the triple XML and below is SST90 at 6 amp in a W300 head ( deep smooth reflector)

XMLx3-3.jpg

W300SST90.jpg

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL.
Cheeky! its not THAT wide!

I think the Cute optic is also available in a +-20 degree beam. That may work as a video light if you used 2 heads although if you had a wide angle lens you would really need something wider again.

pollyc

Newly Enlightened
hi , Packhorse which driver KD you have installed? you have changed the head (w200)to mount the ahorton aspheric lens ? thanks

Klem

Enlightened
Interesting comparison. I read your thread and have been comparing a single XM-L with 48mm aspheric against the 4*XM-L with reflector head you've seen recently ('Light Sabre').

While I had earlier misgivings about how wide the beam was from typically short reflectors after two dives I've tempered that a whole lot. Multiple XM-L's on max lumens when in a typical underwater ledge environment actually works pretty well. Although not as focussed as they could be the sheer brightness of this LED discounts the need to focus to maximise brightness, and so the spread becomes a bonus. I've done 2 dives now with the 4*XM-L head and swimming 3-5 metres from ledges you light the whole thing up. And when you approach the wide beam means you don't need to play it left and right, and when trying to catch crays you don't need to keep shifting the torch as the swell knocks it about and/or the cray moves out of the centre of the beam.

My initial impression is that multiple XM-L's are so bright you don't need to focus them, and so the inefficient spill from a short reflector actually becomes a good thing.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its all about the right tool for the job.
A triple XML like this in low vis conditions will be pretty useless. Its also far from ideal as a signalling light.
But if used in high vis low light conditions it would be fantastic.

beekeeper5

Newly Enlightened
Klem, how many feet is the viz when you're catching crays? Do you see a lot of backscatter with your quad xm-l head?

Klem

Enlightened
Klem, how many feet is the viz when you're catching crays? Do you see a lot of backscatter with your quad xm-l head?

Yes, good question...from memory I'd say 10-15metres. Daytime diving at 20metres max on a slightly overcast sky, so a reasonable amount of ambient light to assist. Average to below average viz for this part of Australia.

No backscatter. Particulate not dense enough for that.

The multiple XM-L on max power with 'wide' spill is a good 'all-round' torch for recreational diving; ledges, swim thru's and the occassional cave.

beekeeper5

Newly Enlightened
Yes, good question...from memory I'd say 10-15metres. Daytime diving at 20metres max on a slightly overcast sky, so a reasonable amount of ambient light to assist. Average to below average viz for this part of Australia.

No backscatter. Particulate not dense enough for that.

Hmm.. I would have to rethink about DW's triple XM-L dropin kit then. Lately in Western Canada, it's like swimming in chocolate milk. While I'm waiting for (another) 5*Cree dropin, do you think an XM-L with a 51mm Aspherical lens would cut through that muck?

Codiak

Enlightened
Muck cutting is what ahorton's aspheric will do for you

I'm diving either pure muck or 100+ vis. No inbetweens

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm.. I would have to rethink about DW's triple XM-L dropin kit then. Lately in Western Canada, it's like swimming in chocolate milk. While I'm waiting for (another) 5*Cree dropin, do you think an XM-L with a 51mm Aspherical lens would cut through that muck?
Well I guess that depends on what 51mm aspheric but I have a 44mm DX aspheric in a mag with a SST-50 and the beam is slightly tighter than the XML with 27mm aspheric.
My guess is a XML 51mm combo will give you a very tight beam. Probably to tight Maybe a SST-90 51mm combo would be better.

airsix

Newly Enlightened
SST-90 behind a DE 51mm aspheric projects a pretty large beam. That's what I'm using as my primary light these days. I wouldn't mind something a bit tighter. Good overall output though. I'm also one of the high-particulate low-vis types.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
So SST-50/51mm comb then.

Lets face it SST-90's are hard to drive.

Last dive I did was my SST-50 and 44mm aspheric.
I was really happy with it until the MOSFET shat its self. I then switched to my "Leningrad" shorth body W200 XP-G reflector back up. Lots of light but far to wide of a beam for the dive ( 5 meter viz).

How wide is the beam of your SST-90/51mm set up? Beam width at 2 meters would be great!