Trustfire SCC P7-C Info

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
Re: Buy Trustfire SCC P7-C 2x18650 + Info

HK post says mine left HK yesterday.

You can't get too excited about a light ordered from China; the anticipation would kill a guy.

I have a couple of cheap Surefire 6P's coming so I can use some of my homeless drop-ins. I have a nice pre-optic version of a Malkoff P4 unit (perfect tint!) and an early production optic Q5 unit that will make excellent lights out of those 6P bodies (for about $90 each total cost).

IMSabbel

Enlightened

Lol.
To me it says its in packaging.
Too bad that the 18650 cells, and the charger, are in another order, one week earlier, that is still "waiting for supplier".

If that light arrives and i cannot run it i will byte my *** :D
(or more likely, i will run it with 4 CRC123 in 2S2P configuration :D)

freedom2000

Newly Enlightened

It's still backordered. It says "Ships on 5/27/2008 (5 days)". 7 days and more - inscription is orange. It was backordered - 7 days, than 6 days, now it's 5 days.

Sure... but "green light" is better than orange one :D

JP

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, it is.:thumbsup:

HumanLumen

Newly Enlightened

My Trustfire P7 arrived this morning.
It's a very mixed bag I'm afraid. I think that the best way to treat this torch is as a good usable blank.
My quick appraised during my work lunchtime is as follows :-
Metalwork. Pretty good. Has O-rings, finish is reasonably consistent in appearance, threads are good. Some v. small machine blemishes but very acceptable.
Output - not so good . Beam is purplish, output on RS 180-7133 light meter is 4100 lux at 1 metre (measured at 1metre). The current from the batteries is 1.1 amps peak, measured with a clamp ammeter. To determine the type of regulator cct, I drove the pill from a linear variable power supply. Results:-

7.5v in - 1.05 amps
7v in - 1.1amps
6v in - 1.05 amps
5.5v in - 600mA
5.0v in - 250mA

Thus, I surmise that the problem is a very bad linear regulator (I would expect the current to increase with decreasing voltage if it was a constant current PWM style regulator). So the maximum current the LED will see will be 1.1 amps in this case. Thus, the second battery really is wasted (especially as the regulation isn't particularly good either!)
From a thermal construction point of view, it looks pretty good with the LED bonded to a brass pill, which in turn is screwed into the reflector, which is screwed into the front bezel. Replacing the reflector will not be easy, though. Oh and the reflector works - hotspot a little larger than a P2D and no doughnut hole.

I would expect 9440 lux when this thing is driven at 2.8amps. Note that the glass is 89.7% transmission by measurement with/without so this could be an area of gain with a UCL lens, pushing it up to about 10,400.
Overall, disappointing - considering that I got 6000 lux with a P7 at 2 amps using a D-Mini smooth reflector with a larger hotspot (and with a reflector diameter of 28mm.
If anyone has other figures (lux etc) please postthem as I may have a duff unit (i.e. I cannot see if they isolated the Anode properley)

There you go. Must grab a bag of crisps now
HL

cheetokhan

Enlightened

Thanks for the quick revue, HumanLumen.
I guess I'll wait a while longer to buy a P7:sigh:

Nils

Newly Enlightened

Hi HumanLuman,

thanks for your review. One thing I don't understand:

If you measure 1.1A at 7V then I would think that the LED is driven higher than 1.1A given that it's a Buck-Driver and not a linear regulator.
1.1A * 7V = 7.7W. With a 85% efficiency of the driver that would be about 6.5 Watt at the LED.
Don't know the voltage/ampere curve of the P7 but I figure It should be somewhat around 1.8A at the LED...

Can you measure a little higher? As what I've seen before with my 18650 is that they start at 4.2V fresh going down to about 3.6~3.55V for most of the time and them rapidly decline till the protection kicks in.

Seeing that the amps is a little lower at 7.5V than 7.0V there may be a bit of regulation. I would think they designed the driver not to be driven much lower than 7V.

I'm curious what kind of driver it is... With two z310 based circuits in series I could understand that behavior very well as each only gets the half battery voltage and beeing buck only it couldn't supply a high enough voltage for the led... (input in series, output parallel).

Your low lux readings prove your point though..

Sorry your led is purple. Maybe the color bin. With my C8 P7 I have a very nice colour, smooth white. Not as blue or purple as any of my Q5's.

Maybe tint get's better when driven higher? Seen that with a purple Q5...

My copy is allready en route to germany so it (hopefully) shouldn't be long till I can give you some numbers of my own.

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened

Well, that certainly doesn't sound promising. I was really hoping to at least get a taste for what this emitter can do. I wasn't expecting a high quality light, or even long run times -- just a bunch of output. It doesn't seem as though these cheap Chinese lights are able to deliver that yet.

Since it looks like this will be my second disappointing P7 light, I think I'll just wait awhile.

IMSabbel

Enlightened

Maybe the regulator problem is the reason a first batch went out the the rest is taking longer (i double-checked, mine is "waiting" without an ETA date).

freedom2000

Newly Enlightened

Oups ... mine is no longer backordered and has even being sent to France this morning.
It should preferably have stayed backordered so that I could have cancelled my order :sssh:

Nervermind , I will play with it :welcome:

JP

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened

Maybe the regulator problem is the reason a first batch went out the the rest is taking longer (i double-checked, mine is "waiting" without an ETA date).

I hope, for the rest of you, that that is the case -- but I doubt it. The product specs looked good, but as often happens with the cheaper lights, reality is nowhere near what is claimed.

This is what I was looking for:
Driver: intelligent control circuits, the constant current output; nominal current work: 2800 mA, a nominal operating voltage: 7.4 V, maximum operating voltage 8.4 V
It doesn't sound like that's what we are getting.

Last edited:

IMSabbel

Enlightened

I hope, for the rest of you, that that is the case -- but I doubt it. The product specs looked good, but as often happens with the cheaper lights, reality is nowhere near what is claimed.

Well, the light itself looks ok (phyiscal dimensions, reflector, ect), so if it really sucks balls, i might just put in another driver later on.
I am sure with LEDs being speced to higher and higher currents (even the single die ones), in a few months there will be more choice about that...

freedom2000

Newly Enlightened

Sure...

But what we "need" is a good light NOW. Isn't it ?

JP

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened

Oh, I agree. This light does have some potential (with a decent driver). I already have a 1x18650 direct drive P7, so I will compare the 2 lights with freshly charged batteries, as soon as mine arrives.

freedom2000

Newly Enlightened

Oh, I agree. This light does have some potential (with a decent driver). I already have a 1x18650 direct drive P7, so I will compare the 2 lights with freshly charged batteries, as soon as mine arrives.

I am waiting for your review before mine arrives !

And what about moding this light with a combination of one 18650 Liion and one NimH ?
I did it with my UF C3 with a Cree Q5 and it really works well. (See here)
And I wondered if the same config with 8 AMC7135 could be interresting (IMHO it could :whistle: and should be easy to test)

Please don't say that I'm crazy... I am aware of the risks with LiIon cells :devil:

JP

12Johnny

Newly Enlightened

Really interesting thread, and I am subscribing! :)

HumanLumen

Newly Enlightened

...................continued from my post above
I set the variable supply to 8.3v and the supply current dropped to 1amp.

Lux with no reflector is 115lux at 1m. This is the same as a bare P7 that I bought from PhotonFanatic driven at 1.4amps, so I am not sure what topology of cct is in this torch, but it certainly 'aint being driven at 2.8amps as this should yeild a figure of ~200lux for the bare emitter according to other CPFers.

Figures from other users will be most welcome - I do not wish to dissasseble the pill yet as I may send it back to DX if it found to be a production fault
HL

freedom2000

Newly Enlightened

...................continued from my post above
I set the variable supply to 8.3v and the supply current dropped to 1amp.

Figures from other users will be most welcome - I do not wish to dissasseble the pill yet as I may send it back to DX if it found to be a production fault
HL

I can understand ...
As soon as mine arrives (2 weeks ?) I keep you informed :candle:
JP

Nils

Newly Enlightened

Hey HumanLuman, doesn't sound good at all...

The 1A at 8,4V sound reasonable to me but being that "dark" makes me think where all the juice goes... Over half of the power seems to dissappear somewhere in the driver. Real strange....

Just hope for us all that you got a faulty one and get it replaced... I think I will have a look at the pill of mine anyway when it arrives... I know I am to nosy to let it go unopened....

freedom2000

Newly Enlightened

Hey HumanLuman, doesn't sound good at all...

The 1A at 8,4V sound reasonable to me but being that "dark" makes me think where all the juice goes... Over half of the power seems to dissappear somewhere in the driver. Real strange....

Just hope for us all that you got a faulty one and get it replaced... I think I will have a look at the pill of mine anyway when it arrives... I know I am to nosy to let it go unopened....

Nils, Are you sure that 1A at the bat size could give 2.8A at the Led ?
The driver is supposed to be :
"intelligent control circuits, the constant current output; nominal current work: 2800 mA, a nominal operating voltage: 7.4 V, maximum operating voltage 8.4 V." as said on the manufacturer's site....

JP

Latest posts