Two headed Malkoff MD2 and mistake on an MD1 modification

MartinDWhite

Enlightened
So this mod was an almost total fail, but I'm the end I was able to make it work.

Someone sent, as often happens, an MD2 to be modified into an MD1. Everything was fine until the second cut (which is like right away). I was in barrel threading mod and cut the grove at the end of the threads at the shoulder instead of offset from the end....so I ruined the piece. Doh! I decided to take it as a personal challenge to save the piece. After some careful thought, I decided to cut the ruined head and internally thread it and make a new body to screw in from an old md2 body cut off which I then pretty much fully threaded. There is an o-ring grove to make it water tight and the two pieces are also epoxied together. It works! It's a lot more work than the normal way. A "normal" MD1 is shown beside it for comparison.

IMG_20200324_131625911.jpg

IMG_20200324_131936456.jpg

IMG_20200324_132713837.jpg

BUT....since the threads are all 7/8x20.....I put it all together I played around and made a two headed Malkoff, its clearly NOT functional, but still looks cool.

IMG_20200324_131812556.jpg

IMG_20200324_131724061.jpg

Don't worry about the customer, they will get the choice of this piece or a new one. I always take care of my customers.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Two heads are better than one! I wish there was a way to join 2 MD2' like this an make them work! Low flood on one side full power on the other.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Putting aside the issue regarding an 'off' setting, wouldn't this actually function with a pair of incan dropins ? :huh:

-----

Trying to figure out how your concoction might work with a custom Red LED dropin ...

One of my dream light configs would have a red 'tail light', turning on at the same time as the main beam via a typical rear 'twistie'.
Your light at least moves an idea in that direction ... hmm ... how about a two-stage (i.e. resistored) twistie tailcap simultaneously providing a lower current to a secondary polarity-reversed circuit in the tailcap ... :thinking:

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I didn't get most of that but I like where this can go! Make them twisty on twisty off.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I didn't get most of that but I like where this can go!
Begin with thinking how the old SF A2 first turns on its low LED's; then with add'l tailcap rotation runs /both/ illumination circuits in the head (i.e. the lows don't turn off w/ the main beam firing up). It has to be two separate circuits, as the low leds cannot take the amount of current that is going thru the main lamp. Now just have that circuitry in the tailswitch - or MDW's aux. head assembly. :)

Edit: certainly not an expert (have never owned an A2), just spitballing here is all ...

Last edited: