Two Rear LED Bike Lights - A joint CPF Review

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
WHAT!?!?! :eek:oo: That's awesome! I wonder if they addressed the side-view issues??!?

GREAT find, Szemhazai!! :thumbsup:

john

jch79

Ok guys - I got an email with some answers from Planet Bike regarding the new RL318R that Szemhazai discovered, and some other stuff. :devil:

From Planet Bike:
The Smart RL318R is the exact same spec as the original Superflash, just in a different case.
So it looks like we'll just have some experimenting as far as which works better :shrug: - hopefully side visibility will have increased? :candle:

You'll also be happy to know that a 2 watt headlight with the Superflash function will be available in early 2008.
How 'bout dem apples?! :popcorn:

:) john

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I added a second Superflashes to my rack. It's getting colder and we are starting to get snow. People don't always get their car windows well scraped of frost so the morning commute is a little more dangerous. I also have studded tires on and plan on cycling until the snow stays - then the bike goes away :(. My wife is not keen on the idea of my cycling in the winter :whistle:.

jch79

I also have studded tires on and plan on cycling until the snow stays - then the bike goes away :(. My wife is not keen on the idea of my cycling in the winter :whistle:.

Just tell her you're not as crazy as some! I ride racing slicks on my road bike all winter long here in Chicago... :rock: :tinfoil:

john

mechBgon

Enlightened
I added a second Superflashes to my rack. It's getting colder and we are starting to get snow. People don't always get their car windows well scraped of frost so the morning commute is a little more dangerous. I also have studded tires on and plan on cycling until the snow stays - then the bike goes away :(. My wife is not keen on the idea of my cycling in the winter :whistle:.

If you want a further increase in power, one option is a Nova BULL LED strobe head powered by a rechargeable battery pack of your choice (I use a 9.6-volt 1600mAH NiMH pack, good for about 8 hours before it starts to sag). They have a lot of power, a wide hotspot shaped like a horizontal bar, they're weatherproof, and they are relatively large, making an easier-to-see target. They're also somewhat visible from the side. They aren't designed to attach to bicycles, so you have to figure that part out yourself.

A couple pics:

megablinkie0.jpg

BULL and LD1000

megablinkie1.jpg

hotspot pic in daylight

megablinkie2.jpg

hotspot compared to 12W HID

mounted.jpg

mounted to a Blackburn rack

overlook_THIS.jpg

do not run me over, please

The last photo is a frame captured from a video. There's a SuperFlash mounted above the BULL but it's basically engulfed in the blast :)

Whelen's TIR3 is another similar strobe head. Before you say these are too powerful to use in traffic, consider that the typical police or fire vehicle has a multitude of strobes, most of which make this little 3 x 1W Luxeon unit look like a child's plaything :) Another option is the DiNotte high-powered taillight, which I believe has similar output.

This light has drawn complimentary remarks from motorists saying I was easy to spot, and also questions about where to get one. No complaints yet.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Yup, the Bull LED strobe is the brightest out there. The drawback for my purposes is that it needs an external battery pack.

mechBgon

Enlightened

I feel your pain, since I have four bikes and only one Nova. And two of my bikes don't have rear racks either. I like the power-to-size ratio of the SuperFlash, so I use that on my road-racing bike.

I also like the Planet Bike Blinky 5. Its hotspot isn't as bright as a SuperFlash, but it has other strong points (larger visual target, reflex reflector lens, still fairly bright for a bike blinkie, not quite as directional). It's still daytime-visible from quite a distance. I usually use one on my nice mountain bike. If the new variant of SuperFlash depicted above had a reflex reflector lens, then it would've been even more interesting :) As it is, the increased width will probably improve its "observability."

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it turns out my seat needed a little raising, which made even more room for the TL-LD1100 to shine over the little box that is zip-tied to my rack. Yep, the new Cateye flasher went on my seat post. I gotta say, it's a real winner. Brighter than the Superflash, I'm sure. When I look behind me, I can see the street lit up in red. When I'm passing by a wall, I see a nice, bright red circle on it. The side visibility of these is excellent. I'm so satisfied with it, that I no longer feel the need to balance off my rack with another Superflash.

mechBgon

Enlightened
Where do you buy those? And how much?

They're available from various suppliers of emergency-vehicle lights. I got this one from http://strobeguy.safeshopper.com/80/cat80.htm?87 and it is about US$60. They also offer the similar Whelen TIR3, which is also available in a model intended for vertical mounting. There are multiple strobe modes available, including steady-on, single-flash, double-flash, triple-flash, triple-plus-burst, deciblast (10 extremely-rapid flashes in a burst) and I think quad-flash too. Mode switching is done by momentarily touching the blue wire to the + wire of the battery until you get the mode you want.

The light is powered by this 1600mAH 9.6-volt battery pack: http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...&cp=2032056.2818124.2818347&parentPage=family

If the amber color were legally allowed as a bicycle taillight where I live, I would've preferred amber. At any rate, this light is nice when you need to stand out amid difficult visibility conditions, such as riding in heavy city traffic in the rain (day or night).

Last edited: