U2 Level Usage

GreySave

Enlightened
Time for all the U2 owners to fess up! Which levels do you find you use the most? For example: Do you find that you only use two levels (Low and High) most of the time or do you actually use the intermediate levels on a regular basis?

I currently have a Kroma, which I have actually found to be surprisingly useful. The low white is fine for moving about even outside and the high white is more than adequate for most other uses. I have been considering a U2, but after having the Kroma I find myself wondering if I will really use all of the levels. I know that the U2's high output is roughly double the output of the Kroma, but output alone is really not an adequate reason for me to make the purchase. Thus I solicit your comments since real world use is the only way to really know how you use it and if the product meets your needs.

For those considering a Kroma....Do not think of it in the usual terms. The Kroma is an outstanding low level light with multiple colors on demand and a high white that has adequate output for most tasks and a really nice beam for a TIR optic. If you need a quality low output light the Kroma's versatility will probably meet your needs. If you are an output junkie there are better choices. Less truly can be more, and I would not part with my Kroma as it fills a unique niche. But will the U2 do the same?

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
I'm not sure it matters all that much if only one or two levels are used on the U2. It's in your budget or you wouldn't be considering it! BUY IT!! You wil love it! It's worth every dime it costs. It doesn't matter that it's not a cree or seoul. It is a masterpiece...

kromeke

Enlightened
I keep mine on low, until I need more light. Then I usually turn it up to high. As the battery drains (I'm using an 18650 li-ion) the high steps down, to what the circuit can sustain, so that is the time I use the intermediate levels. Even though I use a rechargeable cell, I like to have a lot of run time, so I try to keep it on as low a level as needed. I wish the levels were detented, so I could easily select the intermediate levels while the light was off. I'd probably would make more use of the intermediate levels if they had a detent. My other light is a HDS B42, and I absolutely love the way the UI works on it, but I'm getting off topic now (ok, "other light" is an oversimplification, I have more than 2, but my favorites are the U2 and the B42)

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use each level for specific purposes, but mainly 3-4 levels:
5/6- for spotting quickly or moving around fast in the dark
Level 3/4- for casual light for walking or just seeing clearly in the dark
Level 1/2- for general lighting sitting around in the dark or finding my way around without disturbing other people.
The other good thing is that you have control of how long the battery will last by setting it to a level you are comfortable using the light without being too bright or too dim.

Flashlight Enthusiast
i use mainly between 1/3, inside on the first level , outside most of the time i dont need more then the middle setting. One of the onlytimes i have used it on high was when it was so fogging out i needed something bright!!

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
The secret of the U2 is to use the lowest level you can get away with. The low is meant to be used when you don't need much light (or need long run-time), but it's not "my eyes are dark-adapted" dim. Taken camping or similar, i'll have a spotter with me, so always start the U2 at the bottom and take it up one level at a time. Add a diffuser and you have twelve beams to choose from. The U2 doesn't do anything fancy, but it does what it does very well. Still though, it'll blind you even on low and even with a diffuser the beam isn't as wide as Kroma(blue), so one is not clearly better than the other.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep it on low and when necessary I step up as much as needed. I have to admit that occasionally I switch it on at maximum level just for the pleasure of it.:naughty:

greenLED

Flashaholic
It depends on what I'm doing.

When I'm biking I set it on 5.
When I'm walking outside the house, 4 or 5.
When I'm indoors, 3 or 4.
Late at night, indoors, 1.
When going through airport security, 1.

I very seldom use level 6 (when quickly checking the back of the property, for example). I find it interesting that when I first got my U2, I'd only use 1 or 6 and no in betweens but, with time, I've learned to make better use of the output available and the runtime they offer.

Talas

Newly Enlightened
I use the lowest level 95% of the time and the two highest levels the other 5%. My most used light is an L1 and both suit my needs well.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
I use the brightest level the least. All the other levels are regularly used with more emphasis on the lower levels. Mine is set to turn on low and I ramp up as needed from there.

Tom

GreySave

Enlightened
Interesting! Thanx everyone. No detents on the adjustment collar? I assume then that is just has a certain amount of resistance built in to maintain position after you select a level and that there is also a "stop" at the high and low ends like the Kroma so you don't spin it around and 'round? The Kroma does have detents and it is wonderful as you can select colors easily once you reach an end "stop" as a point of reference.

I am still on the fence. After reading your comments I think I would use more than just the high and low levels, but my Huntlight Cree can perform many of the same tasks. Although it may do it not quite as nicely as a SureFire I still don't know about dropping that much money on this one based solely upon "want." I am tempted to wait and see if the U2 gets a revised emitter next year unless the Huntlight fails first. I guess I'll just keep reading as comments come in and go from there (Already been through many of the prior threads on the U2).

greenLED

Flashaholic
Interesting! Thanx everyone. No detents on the adjustment collar? I assume then that is just has a certain amount of resistance built in to maintain position after you select a level and that there is also a "stop" at the high and low ends like the Kroma so you don't spin it around and 'round?
Yup, no detents, but there's no risk of "in between" switching, as the levels on the U2 are distinct.

Yup, resistance is there, and so are stops and lowest and highest levels.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use each level for specific purposes, but mainly 3-4 levels:
5/6- for spotting quickly or moving around fast in the dark
Level 3/4- for casual light for walking or just seeing clearly in the dark
Level 1/2- for general lighting sitting around in the dark or finding my way around without disturbing other people.
The other good thing is that you have control of how long the battery will last by setting it to a level you are comfortable using the light without being too bright or too dim.

The same for me.

lowest is usually enough indoors. Outdoors I use 3/4 for general use and high is I need a lot of light.

I'd probably use the lower levels more if I didn't run it on 18650s.