Ultimate LED Thrower Challenge

SemiMan

Banned
I think that a point earlier about throw vs. total lumen output is very valid. With a tighter beam than your friend's light, you could easily get better on axis intensity. If you're worried about total lumens, though, it's better to go without optics and reduce your losses.

Arrow Electronics, the company I work for, represents Osram and Cree, as well as Avago, CML, Everlight, Harvatek, Lite-On, Stanley, Optek, Unity, and Vishay, plus a host of optic lines, driver lines, and thermal management lines. We have a parametric LED search here. We also have online PDF guides to each of the component types you'd need to make this kind of design possible.

Visit our website and see for yourself.

Nice Advertisement Steve! .... I think there is a dealer's forum for that......

SemiMan

Banned
kevin812367 are you still there...we need you bud! Someone needs to put some sense back into this thread. Tell us what you want!

Ok, I will give you some thoughts...... (let's hope I do not go down in flames).

You can run a new K2 TFFC comfortable at 2.5amps... pretty easy for extended periods of time, in something that looks like a flashlight...ok, not a traditional flashlight, but that is what round CPU coolers are for I figure. This is a much nobler cause. I know you can run a Cree-XRE at 2A without any trouble either....and I am not even talking the fan running on the cooler, but I guess that would always be an option.

The heat sink I am using is about 3 -4 C/watt I would guess, maybe better. If I left the fan on, that drops to about 1. Remember this thing is used to cool 40 watt processors. So at 4C/watt, even at 10 watts into the LED, the rise in the heat sink at oh, perhaps 40C. 10 watts, 8C/watt for the K2 mounted very well... 80C, 25C ambient, that adds up to 145C...just a hair under the 150C maximum ambient..... (heck, you would think I designed it that way!).... So no catastrophic failure, but certainly the life will be well under 50,000 hours. I would expect perhaps 1,000 hour good life....and I can still drop it and not worry about it. The Cree at 2 amps should survive comfortably for a long time too.

Now I have not run either of these into an aspheric (and yes I think I would get 300+ lumens out of either), but I have run about a 130 lumen old K2 into one.

So, we are talking about "THROW" ....let's not get into arguments, I think the definition of the problem was clear. That said, what is throw? It is the ability to be able to illuminate distant object such that you can see clearly. Well that 130 lumen or so K2 is able to keep up with one of my 20 wattish Halogen lanterns on its ability to clearly illuminate distant objects such that I can see them. In some ways it is better because the tight beam does not let out much local light and kill my night vision.

So, my recommendation...cause I think you will be able to get the parts. Find two good aspheric lenses, and run an over-under Cree-Q5 at 2amps each. Run it off a lead-acid battery as they give you 10+ volts and are cheap not to mention two wires beats a battery holder.

For the heat sinks, go find yourself some older (smaller) round CPU coolers...Thermaltakes and the like.

I am not going to tell you how to mount the whole thing, but I figure cost is:

2 * Q5 = 18 (on stars)
2 * coolers = 15 (get the on clear out)
1 * Lead acid = 10
2 * aspheric = 20

That is $60. That gives you $40 to power it and figure out how to mount it. Don't ask me for driver suggestions as I role my own and am not up on what is ready available off the shelf.

Oh, beam shots are all I ask in return.....that and a picture.

Semiman

djblank87

Enlightened
I think that a point earlier about throw vs. total lumen output is very valid. With a tighter beam than your friend's light, you could easily get better on axis intensity. If you're worried about total lumens, though, it's better to go without optics and reduce your losses.

Arrow Electronics, the company I work for, represents Osram and Cree, as well as Avago, CML, Everlight, Harvatek, Lite-On, Stanley, Optek, Unity, and Vishay, plus a host of optic lines, driver lines, and thermal management lines. We have a parametric LED search ****. We also have online PDF guides to each of the component types you'd need to make this kind of design possible.

Visit our **** and see for yourself.

:welcome:

Steve Davis as semiman has already stated you should not plug any company in this particular forum, see the market place or dealers corner and read the rules.

While you might have a lot of knowledge in a particular field regarding the issue at hand, you can state your opinion without talking about the company you work for.

:popcorn:

Joshatdot

Enlightened
I've been trying to read all the back and forth of who is right...

But this totally reminds me of the Laser cooling problem the kids faced in the 80's move "Real Genius"

kevin812367

Newly Enlightened
Hey, everyone. Sorry, it's been a while since I've made a post and I can see there have been some disputes. First off I am only planning on going for throw and not total output. I

talked to Saabluster about using a Subaru SVX headlight lens so I am going to look into this. What I am planning on doing so far is using a Q5 running at 1.5A and a m@g size aspheric

lens. Now from the information I have received the Q5 should be fine running at 2A but, for not too long. So I may end up bumping up the current. I am using 7.2V to power the light

to but this could change if I need more power. I would also like to thank everyone that has offered any advice, support, or has taken any interest in the challenge and keep the

comments coming. I should have some beam shots in the next few weeks so be patient.

Thanks everyone

Latest posts