UltraFire 18650 5000mAh battery?!

louieatienza

Newly Enlightened
I seriously doubt the 5000mAh claims, but at under $1.50 a cell, do you guys think it's worth it?

spaceminions

Newly Enlightened
Fsck no, those cells are the worst possible idea - trust me, they will find a way to make it not worth the couple bucks you save. They won't be as much capacity as a legitimately rated lower tier cell, they'll barely handle any power at all, they could die randomly, might even randomly go off either in your pocket or in your charger in your potentially flammable house, and if they do do any of those things, they might not have any of the safeguards that other cells have, so any issue becomes a catastrophic failure. Just get a legitimate cell for $3-5 each, and save yourself a hell of a lot of worries.

louieatienza

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys... might have saved me some headaches down the road (and saved my flashlights as well...) Haven't found that thread yet but having a blast digging through all the info here, you guys rock!

ven

Flashaholic
Even if free they are not worth it. In many cases much lower than 1500mah, some even have 14500 inside. Luckily good cells from Sanyo,Panasonic,Sony, Samsung and LG can be had for a little over $5/$6 ea. Apart from cost, its the safety side and poor performance from these cells. Risks that go with them as well. Stay clear as said, use imrbatteries or other reputable sellers. Just as important, a good charger that does not end in fire as well. Xtar,nitecore, opus to name just a few reputable makers.

SGB65

Newly Enlightened
I may be a little cautious but I wouldn't use any 18650 that cost $1.50 and no it ain't 5000mAh
I get my Panasonic 18650 batteries for under $1. I have purchased orphaned laptop battery packs from Goodwill for about $4 to $5. I disassemble them and desolder the 6 Panasonic 18650 lithium batteries from within. I charge and maintain them in a four slot lithium charger and use them to power several different 500 to 1500 lumen lights with excellent output and run times. Once in a while I get a battery pack that is a true dud with some or all cells being bad. So, discounting the $20 for the charger, my 18650 batteries have a cost of less than $1 each (including cost of duds). Safety note: these desoldered batteries have no safety "buttons" on one end. The detached circuit board is what served as the safety mechanism for the battery pack. As such, the charger and batteries are always in a safe location when unattended. Never had issues with any batteries used in flashlights or similar high-drain devices.

markr6

Flashaholic
18650fire.png

mortuus

Newly Enlightened
So fake, how can anyone fall for this? the highest capacity for 18650 cell is like 3600mah, not even 4000mah exists let alone 5000, then u need 26650 those can have even 6000mah but not 1860 no way josé!

even if u get some free it can be a real danger to even charge or use them, they use the lowest garbage cells possible and just wrap fake stickers.. just go to ebay and type ultrafire 18650 its crazy how thats allowed and now many people fall for it... :scowl:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fact that these XXXXFire branded 18650's still sell as fast as they can be cranked out of whichever mystery Chinese factory they are made in is VERY disturbing. Years ago when I first got into 18650's I got a bunch of red wrapper UltraFire cells. Those were the worst fire hazard I believe I ever brought into my own house. On a charger they emitted this overwhelming chemical smell. AVOID XXXXFIRE cells save for Surefire 18650's as those are actually just re wrapped NCR18650B Panasonic 3400mah core cells which are perfectly fine for most lights.

greyling22

Newly Enlightened
so what would be a decent value 18650 light? ebl? I'm tired of my ____fire lights always being dead.