ultrafire wf501b xm-lt6 vs ssc p7 for night bike ride

financeguy

Newly Enlightened
UltraFire WF-501B XM-LT6 5-Mode 510-Lumen Memory White LED Flashlight with Strap
VS
UltraFire WF-501B SSC-P7-CSXO 3-Mode 900-Lumen Memory LED Flashlight with Strap

I am trying to decide which one is better for night rides. People have been saying that xml have great throw, while the p7 has better flood. But it seems that the p7 is "old technology"

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Regards,

Financeguy

financeguy

Newly Enlightened
sorry should have posted this in bike section...but i think im gonna go with the p7 900 lumen.

but if people still have any feedback id like to know.

im gonna try this setup out and depending on how it works for me....i might end up gettin the magicshine 900. will see tho.

regards,

financeguy

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The T6 will be much better, apart from the extra annoying flashing modes. The P7 is only really 400 lumens while the XM-L is pushing a real 500. The XM-L should also have much better regulation and longer runtime, it's also much less likely to damage the battery or itself through current/heat issues.

jondotcom

Enlightened
My P7 would be far better than my xm-l lights, just because the P7 is more of a floody, warm light. My XM-L lights both have an intense cold hot spot, and would give you a migraine.

odd

Newly Enlightened
There aren´t much options since it a p60 reflector, but you could replace the lens with a diffusion lens or a filter.

I like the xm-l much more than the p7.
The xml has a wide hotspot (for extra throw which i like) but also enough spill to light up the hole street.
The p7 is pure flood, kinda like a p7 minus a hotspot. I was quite disappointed when it arrived as it seemed quite weak because of the missing hotspot.

If you want a warm light you may also consider an ultrafire warm white mc-e light from dx.

jondotcom

Enlightened
There aren´t much options since it a p60 reflector, but you could replace the lens with a diffusion lens or a filter.

If you want a warm light you may also consider an ultrafire warm white mc-e light from dx.

Actually, I recommended SSC P7 above, but realized that's not what I have. I actually have the DX MC-E which is a warm flood, and would be excellent for night riding. Nice floody light so you're not staring at a bright spot on the ground.

financeguy

Newly Enlightened
ohhhhh i see. so the mc-e is most likely a better alternative.
i ended up getting the xm-l. i will give it a try and see how it works out and possibly try out a filter.

But in any situation, got a solid flash light outta it. Could def benefit me to have a xm-l and a mc-e.

odd

Newly Enlightened
Yes you could.

I would just wait until your ultrafire xm-l arrives before considering buying another light/dropin.

You joined cpf this month so I assume your quite new to "real" flashlights.
If thats the case you´ll be amazed by the output anyway, no matter if the emitter is a p7, mc-e or xm-l.

financeguy

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the advice a lot! appreciate all the help.
i am definitely new to "real flashlights" and soon hope to learn as much about them as possible!
I will hold off on purchasing another light for a little bit. although, i have been reading a lot about fenix lights. perhaps that will be my next light! they are alllllll sold out on DX tho.

regards,

financeguy

slipe

Newly Enlightened
I have an Ultrafire 501b XM-L T6. It would make a good bike light. It is very floody without a central hot spot. The second brightest setting would be sufficient for most biking and would extend the battery life.

A 501b is not a good host for either a P7 or T6. You can stuff some aluminum foil in to help the heat transfer. It would be fine for a bike light though. The airflow would likely make it OK for extended periods.

With the 501b host the T6 would be preferable to the P7 IMO. The T6 is more efficient and perhaps a little brighter. The P7s would probably be floodier, but the 501b T6 has a nice flood. I have three P7s in larger lights and they are all brighter than the 501b T6. The Spiderfire is also floodier, and my favorite of the P7s. I also have an XM-L T6 in a larger host (Eastward) and it is brighter than any of my P7s. The Eastward T6 is a thrower rather than a flood and would not be appropriate for a bike light IMO. I think all of the larger (and pricier) T6 lights are throwers.

I think you would be happy with the 501b T6 as a bike light.

ChaosMaster

Newly Enlightened

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not behind the reflector, you want to wrap the part of the module that contacts the body, (i.e around the reflector) with enough foil that it fits snugly into the host. It's best if it's tight enough that it won't fall out when held upside down.

I would also recommend reassembling outside or in relatively cold conditions to avoid fogging up of the lense during future use.

financeguy

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

scoobybright

Newly Enlightened
I have a Ultrafire mte p7 which have have use for the past 2 years night riding. The end of the winter I bought a ultrafire c8 XM-L from manafont. Its an awesome light, a big step up from my P7. I use the P7 and C8 XM-L on my bars and a trustfire 801 on my lid. Great combi.......will look to improve in the autumn again