Uncle Sam doesn't issue its finest, flashlights?

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Uncle Sam doesn\'t issue its finest, flashlights?

My son is an active Marine. He is a grunt, not a REMF or POG. You would be very suprised at what they are issued or not issued. How about a M-7 Bayonet that was replaced ten years ago. I bought him a M-9. I've also bought him flashlights, of course, and other stuff that will be unnamed.

guncollector

Enlightened

Well, this sort of begs the next question.

If Uncle Sam deems to issue you a flashlight (excluding SOCOM units), what do you get these days? Do you still get issued a MX-991/U crookneck?

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ron, if I were in the same situation as you I would also give him a light that uses common batteries and bulbs. Like a 2D Mag. And maybe a cheap penlight from Wally World so he doesn't blind the patients.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can't ask my Son at this time. He is overseas right now and my emails are not allowed to contain any reference to the military. I can ask my Son-in-Law, he is an Army Warrent Officer in Germany. I'll let you know.

B@rt

Flashaholic

Originally posted by DavidW:
And maybe a cheap penlight from Wally World so he doesn't blind the patients.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Infinity?
icon3.gif
winkie.GIF
grin.gif

nihraguk

Enlightened

i carry an arc AAA and a two-cell surefire (M2) as well. quite a well-balanced combo IMHO.

i'm not sure if torchlights are issued in the singapore armed forces but if so i'm quite sure its the military crooked-neck 2D.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Let me shed some information on the subject. The military is big. 1.4 million people big. There are times when spending is miserly and when only the best will do. I am a medic and my infantry unit's medical platoon sergeant. I order my platoons supplies in accordance with lists put out from these guys:

USAMMA

I am authorized to order several different flashlights for my medical sets. The coolest one is this:Phantom Warrior
It's essentially a visible LED light that isn't visible to infra-red. It uses a particular wavelength. I know it isn't visible 'cause I tested it on guard duty in Bosnia 2002. But when I took the goggles off, I could see the light on my feet. The government pays $60.82 for the medic version.

*You can't buy it if you're not in the U.S. military* You don't want it anyways, 'cause it's not particularly bright. It is multifuntional depending on how tactical you need to be.

Another flashlight is the typical angle head D cell with a special switch that won't ignite flamable gasses (oxygen, fuel fumes, anesthesia gasses, etc...) It's yellow and black in color as opposed to the regular OD green one. The green one is $4.94; the yellow/black one is $7.06. We also have disposable penlights for exams that cost $2.22 per dozen. There might be a couple more cheapos not worth mentioning. I do recall being issued a Fischer Price Jr. Code 4 tactical light after Desert Storm. It was essentially a minimag with a ingenious head that changed the light to red or white depending on if it was pulled up or pushed in.

That Navy buddy of yours has these assets available to him. He just doesn't know it or (more likely) hasn't gotten to become good friends with the people that do know it. Supply sergeants actually do their best to save money. They just may not know this guy needs this stuff.

As far as those cool SureFire lights, special operations teams have excellent budgets. They know what they want, they usually get what they want. Essentially if an individual can't find a supply sergeant, he can order whatever he needs with a government issued credit card (IMPAC cards) What those SF teams *really* want is more research into battery technology. Batteries for communications for weeks on end weigh a lot.

Hope this helps your buddy.

guncollector

Enlightened

Thanks, Keir, for the excellent insight.

I'll pass the info along to my cousin (who happens to also be a good buddy) who's the Navy doctor, temporarily Grunt doctor.

I guess 6 months into his posting at Camp Pendleton, he hadn't quite figured out the logistics ins-and-outs yet.

According to the paper, his battalion shipped out yesterday for Kuwait, but he still gets his email.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I hope he enjoys the deployment. The marines treat their corpsmen like gold. As far his tactical lighting needs, *he* could still order the Phantom Warrior himself. I recommend it for the desert and for a corpsman in infantry/tactical situations. If he ends up doing operations other than war OOTW (stupid accronym) a SureFire is the way to go. I'm about to test out my SureFire D3 and M510B weapons light on my next deployment this month. I'll tell you guys what I thought. I wouldn't have found the incredible deal on them without this forum.

Glad I could help, Ron.

p.s. Do not organize 'Any Service Member' writing campaigns at local elemetary schools. Go to colleges and solicit only pretty girls.

guncollector

Enlightened

Keir-

The marines treat their corpsmen like gold
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Rightly so! Methinks I would too, if my health depended on it!

From what I understand, my cousin greatly enjoys working with the corpsmen--says they damn well earn the right to be called "Doc". He's one of only two actual assigned M.D.'s for the entire battalion. I can imagine the grunts really do rely on their corpsman first, and my cousin a distant second.

He says his deployment is Kuwait will be only a clik from the front lines.

Hey, I didn't know medics could carry an M16A2 or M4. Or is yours a personal rifle? My cousin says he's not permitted to shoot his M9 sidearm (his only issued small arms) while in garrison--but he still has to check it out from the armory and clean it once/month. Go figure.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

He should read this The Law of Land Warfare

Specifically: Chapter 4 223 b. Self-Defense Defined. Although medical personnel may carry arms for self-defense, they may not employ such arms against enemy forces acting in conformity with the law of war. These arms are for their personal defense and for the protection of the wounded and sick under their charge against marauders and other persons violating the law of war. Medical personnel who use their arms in circumstances not justified by the law of war expose themselves to penalties for violation of the law of war and, provided they have been given due warning to cease such acts, may also forfeit the protection of the medical unit or establishment of which they form part or which they are protecting.

To answer your question, I carry an issued rifle. I put my own ACOG scope and SureFire M510B on it, though. The Army is using the M4 with Aimpoint right now. Medics in traditionally front-line units carry this. They're also authorized the AN/PVS-14. They may or may not have the AN/PAQ-4 The M9 is usually issued to personnel whose duties would not require a rifle (a M.D. is one). A chaplain does not carry a weapon, his assistant is charged with protecting him, but his assistant is actually not a true combatant either.

Your cousin's unit just may not take the idea of their M.D.s need to qualify too seriously. A physician will probably be more productive to the military seeing patients. He needs to be qualified with his assigned weapon, though.

Hope this helps.

Unabomber

Newly Enlightened

I'm active duty Navy and we get issued zip. I took home my CMG Reactor and Lightwave 4000 today. The mil spec flashlights we use are dim, yellow and "explosive proof". I took them home in protest until my order for 3 new Lightwave 3000s for our dept goes through. No one has a clue about LED lights.
rolleyes.gif

Ratso

Enlightened

I think some of the 4 AA lights would be perfect for military use. Cheap, bright, small size, and durable. The SL 4AA LED, UKE MQ40, 4AA Pro Polymer, etc., Princeton Tec Tec40 would all make great lights in the field.