Used car suggestions?

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Ok,
At the risk of being abused....

Take at look at Ford Contours.

I have a 99 with the five speed and 4cyl engine.
The damm thing runs like a watch.

Look up a web stie called the contour enthuasts groop (sp?), lots of good advice on keeping these cars on the air.

It's a very sold bit of goods. Check on Ebay Motors for pricing. They are fairly cheap but good iron.

Later dude

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Chevy Lumina and now Impala/Monte Carlo are good cars. Big enough to be safe (I saw one hit a Honda Accord and the Accord was carried away in pieces and the Lumina drove away). My wife's Impala gets 37MPG highway with a pushrod engine (no $$$ timing belt to replace) and I have seen several Lumina taxis with over 200k one them with no major repairs needed. Had a Co-worker buy one of those Lumina APV minivans (the old dustbuster van) from our boss with 250k on it and he drove it another 150K when I left the company, it has the same 2.4L engine and transmission as the cars.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with PJS.
Ford makes good trucks and not so good cars.
I have worked security in apartment ghettos where the ford trucks are still clunkering around while I'm tagging broken down ford cars littering the parking lot.

Have a heart to heart with your bank, or credit union loan officer too about what you can afford before you set foot on any dealership, or curbstone's lawn to buy a car.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
1956 Olds 88, 324CID, 3 speed manual

was it 56 or 1958 that the thin wall nickle alloy hi compression engine showed up in the olds ?

the first modern v8 I think.

I had a 64 skylark with the aluminum v8.

3 on the tree.

still the age of the muscle car is now

cars are lighter-handle/brake better.

my grand am with its w41 4 cylinder does 0 to 60 in better than 6.7 seconds. tops out at around 135.

that is faster than a 67 gto with the 389 tri power.

my car is old-1988