using recharge cr123a

anthroPelexis

Newly Enlightened
hey, i found that they make the cells that most of these light use in recharge style, anybody use them? any recomendations?

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you mean the Tenergy 3.0V RCR123A cells available at places like batteryjunction, I have those and can comment on them.

They basically have no self-discharge, so you won't have to worry about them like you would with NiMHs. However, you'll get about half the runtime as compared to primary (non-rechargeable) CR123As. They're best for LED lights, as they can't handle the current draw of most high-powered (Surefire) incan lights. They're about a third of a millimeter longer and a tenth of a millimeter wider than primaries, so they won't fit in all lights (I had some issues getting them to work in a VB-16, and needed some aluminum foil to make it mostly work).

If you use CR213A lights frequently, they can be a good value.

Hermanator

Newly Enlightened
TigerhawkT3 said:
If you mean the Tenergy 3.0V RCR123A cells available at places like batteryjunction, I have those and can comment on them.

They basically have no self-discharge, so you won't have to worry about them like you would with NiMHs. However, you'll get about half the runtime as compared to primary (non-rechargeable) CR123As. They're best for LED lights, as they can't handle the current draw of most high-powered (Surefire) incan lights. They're about a third of a millimeter longer and a tenth of a millimeter wider than primaries, so they won't fit in all lights (I had some issues getting them to work in a VB-16, and needed some aluminum foil to make it mostly work).

Are you serious about "basically have no self-discharge"? That would be a major selling point to me using the CR123As; I'm okay with short runtime if I can recharge it and there is little self-discharge! :)

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hermanator said:
Are you serious about "basically have no self-discharge"? That would be a major selling point to me using the CR123As; I'm okay with short runtime if I can recharge it and there is little self-discharge! :)

Not really but nearly:)

So far I know, in one year the capacity loss is between 10 and 15 %.

So nearly no self-discharge.

Best regards

____
Tom

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
TigerhawkT3 said:

TigerhawkT3, thanks for your insight and experience in the RCR's. I have a brand new Kroma and this light apparently will not work with any of the other rechargeables such as the 18650, 17670, but some folks have used unprotected RCR's. So the only option is to use regular 123's or rechargeables but either way we are down to 123's. What would you suggest?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps it would be better if you were to indicate what your intended use for these batteries might be. They do not work necessarily work in the same manner, and some are not capable of delivering the current levels needed for high current draw levels like their primary counterparts.

anthroPelexis said:
hey, i found that they make the cells that most of these light use in recharge style, anybody use them? any recomendations?

havand

Enlightened
The only real downside, atleast my understanding, is that when the light turns on, for a moment they put out more than 3.0V...Apparently it takes time for the voltage down circuit to kick in. I may be wrong, that is just what i was told. Also told that that split second is so brief that it is no reason for concern. So, use away! If you figure it out, if you buy your batteries at a local store you only have to go through a few sets for the costs to equal out.

Latest posts