USL Field Test Thread, Pt 5

Paul_DW

Enlightened
bwaites said:
Nice pics, I can hardly wait to see Big Ben lit by USL!!

Bill
Ok Bill, I have that pic, but to be honest it's prob the worst of the bunch to follow ... :(

nethiker said:
Great pics Paul. I think your church shot is one of the best yet showing the awesome power of the USL. Eagerly waiting for mine, meanwhile keep posting pics and I'll enjoy yours.

Greg
Thanks.

DaveNagy said:
Yep, that would certain explain the difference in "sky brightness" between those two shots. For the TL85 shot, the camera noted the light level present, as well as the ISO sensitivity that you had specified, and decided that a exposure time of 1/4th of a sec (250ms) would be appropriate. With the shutter staying open that long, the camera was able to detect some of that faint sky glow, as well as your brightly lit sheds.

For the USL shot, the camera noted that the sheds were even more brightly lit, and decided that a faster shutter speed was appropriate, given that you still were "forcing" it to use the 400 ISO sensitivity. The camera used a 100ms exposure time, instead of the 250ms used for the first pic. This resulted in the entire picture being dimmer than it would be otherwise. The sky appears totally un-lit, and the sheds are merely brightly lit, instead of OMGBRIGHTLY!! lit. :)

No, I didn't realise that you also had an F10. Fantastic camera, especially at low light levels. But, alas, not a great camera for taking comparative beamshots. There's no way to "force" a particular shutter speed, so that speed will always vary depending on the light level and ISO settings you have chosen. In effect, the camera will attempt to make all flashlights look equally bright. Your best bet with that camera may be to back up a bit and take a pic of both flashlight beams simultaneously.

-Dave (also not a professional photographer)

I hear you ... :)

Maybe time for a DSLR !?! ... altho I like something I can take into gigs as I love keeping pics of people I see. I went for the F10 for it's low light capabilities and for the money I can't complain really ... :)

tvodrd said:
:thumbsup: Paul!

Larry

Thanks Larry.

Ok, I said I'd grab some London Landmarks and I have! ... :)

Just remember that apart from the Big Ben picture, the rest are quite lit in the first place!

Bill, basically it's VERY windy around Big Ben and I couldn't find something to lean the camera on for stability (forgot my tripod! ... duh!) Also I 'think' as the actual clock is quite bright, it has affected some setting or whatever and is causing it to basically turn out crap ... lol

Anyway, for what it's worth:

Didn't bother with the TL85 so just a with and without the USL ... in reverse)

bb.JPG

bb.usl.JPG

The entrance to Westminster Abbey (personal fav):

wa.JPG

wa.usl.JPG

Tower of London:

tl.JPG

tl.usl.JPG

Laslty Marble Arch (a little wabbly the one without USL, but best I got):

ma.JPG

Lights up well tho I think ... :D

ma.usl.JPG

I also had The Royal Albert Hall, plus the Albert Memorial, but they didn't look too good when I got the pics on to the PC ... :(

What will tomorrow bring ?!? ... :D

Paul_DW

Enlightened
Oh and I forgot these.

Westminster Abbey again, but a few shots of the higer part of the building:

wa2.JPG

wa2.usl.JPG

Oh and check Big Ben over on the left and how it's lit up, and I'm up against! ...lol

To be honest 2 sides of it ARE lit up with I don't know what, but it's powerfull being fired from a nearby building. On one side, where I took the pics it isn't, but I'll try it again with the USL tomorrow and see if I can get better ... :)

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
That Westminster Abbey shot is just amazing, people from blocks around must wonder what the hell is going on. If I saw the thing lit up like that I'd expect to see commandos rappelling down the side of the building a moment later.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
:twothumbs Paulr :twothumbs
I hope you were wearing some armor to defend yourself when you made those shots :crackup:

paulr

Flashaholic
Modamag, that's Paul_DW over in London, I'm stuck over here in the colonies and don't have a USL yet (I'm #43 on the list or thereabouts). :D

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul,

Awesome!

I had forgotten how lit up Big Ben was, and with that superbright clockface, the camera metering hasn't got a chance.

You took pictures of about half the stuff in London that I remember from my trip there 25 years ago!!! Awesome!!!

I think you missed Tower Bridge (which I remember as being lit pretty well itself), but got all the biggies except the Palace.

I am amazed and pleased. Don't get yourself arrested as a terrorist plotter, I suspect that might foul up the emigration status!!

Bill

DaveNagy

Newly Enlightened
Awesome, awesome shots. I say we start a perpetual "Famous Landmarks lit by a USL" thread. ;)

Who's got Mount Rushmore?!? :naughty:

-Dave

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave,

Awesome idea!!

Maybe CroMagNet can get the site up and working and we can post them all there!!

I can think of 2, the Space Needle and Grand Coulee Dam.

Bill

Paul_DW

Enlightened
Dynacolt said:
Thanks Paul, they were AWSEOME!!! (I know the landmarks and London, and it wouldn't be easy to compete with all the city lighting :D

Dave.
Hi Dave, yeah that's what will make a lot of them hard to capture as they're well lit to start with, but we'll try.

paulr said:
That Westminster Abbey shot is just amazing, people from blocks around must wonder what the hell is going on. If I saw the thing lit up like that I'd expect to see commandos rappelling down the side of the building a moment later.

LOL, well when I was doing the Marble Arch pictures I was across the road from it and kinda standing round this corner. There I was with the camera in one hand pointing up, and the other hand armed with USL, and on it went. Perfectly timed it seemed just as a group of people walk round the corner! ...lol. One of them got a blast in the face from probably 5 - 6' but it was enough for a "waaah, what is that???" ...lol.

I didn't get away for prob 10 mins as they wanted to know the in's and out's ... :D

modamag said:
I hope you were wearing some armor to defend yourself when you made those shots :crackup:

You know it was below freezing last night so the USL had more than one use ... :)

bwaites said:
Paul,

Awesome!

I had forgotten how lit up Big Ben was, and with that superbright clockface, the camera metering hasn't got a chance.

You took pictures of about half the stuff in London that I remember from my trip there 25 years ago!!! Awesome!!!

I think you missed Tower Bridge (which I remember as being lit pretty well itself), but got all the biggies except the Palace.

I am amazed and pleased. Don't get yourself arrested as a terrorist plotter, I suspect that might foul up the emigration status!!

Bill

Yeah I hoped for a good en with Big Ben, but I knew the brightness of the clock wasn't gonna help. I'll ask em to switch it off for a minute ... :D

Yeah the Tower of London sits right next to Tower Bridge but I didn't even bother as it is as you say VERY well lit at night.

There's loads I can do, and will in due course, but sometimes you'll be just driving through a random area and see sommit that HAS to be USL'd ...lol

DaveNagy said:
Awesome, awesome shots. I say we start a perpetual "Famous Landmarks lit by a USL" thread. ;)
Yeah, let's go! ... :)

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
After seeing the USL in action on National Geographic Channel last night, I stumbled onto an area of field testing that none of us thought to try - arm hair removal. I'm pleased to report that it can be done, but smoke, smell, and some pain are involved, so confirmation of my test results should be persued at your own risk!:crazy::D